- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
In-vitro Antithrombosis Activity of Different Parts of Sorbus commixta from Ulleung Island
울릉도 마가목의 다양한 부위의 항혈전 활성
Kim, Mi-Sun;Seong, Ha-Jung;Sohn, Ho-Yong
- Received : 2015.09.20
- Accepted : 2015.12.15
- Published : 2016.03.30
Sorbus commixta, a flowering plant in the Rosaceae family, is native to Japan and Ulleung Island, Korea. This plant is also called maga-mok or mai-mok in Korea because the bud of the stem has a similar shape to the teeth of a horse. In this study, hot water extracts from different parts of S. commixta, such as leaf, stem, and immature and mature fruits, were prepared, and their antithrombosis and antioxidant activities were evaluated. The extraction yield and pH of stem extracts were 3.99% and 5.5, respectively. The stem extracts contained 89.2 mg/g of total polyphenols and 28.3 mg/g of total flavonoids. The hot water extracts prepared from the leaf, stem, immature, and mature fruit of S. commixta exhibited no hemolytic activity against human red blood cells, up to a concentration of 0.5 mg/ml. In an anticoagulation assay, the stem extracts showed strong extension in thrombin, prothrombin, and activated partial thromboplastin times, whereas the other extracts had no anticoagulation activity. In a platelet aggregation inhibitory activity assay, all the extracts tested had no inhibitory activity against human platelets. With regard to antioxidation activity, the stem extracts showed stronger radical scavenging activity and reducing power activity than the other extracts. The calculated RC50s, the concentration required for 50% radical scavenging activity, for DPPH anions, ABTS cations, and nitrite of the crude stem extracts were 119.7, 53.3, and 117.5 μg/ml, respectively, whereas they were 13.7, 5.2, and 14.9 μg/ml for DPPH anions, ABTS cations, and nitrite, respectively, for vitamin C. The results suggest that the stem extracts of S. commixta have strong potential for use as a novel resource for antithrombosis agents.
Anticoagulation;anti-platelet aggregation;Sorbus commixta;stem extracts;Ulleungdo
- Bae, J. T., Sim, G. S., Kim, J. H., Pyo, H. B., Yun, J. W. and Lee, B. C. 2007. Antioxidative activity of the hydrolytic enzyme treated Sorbus commixta Hedl and its inhibitory effect on matrix metalloproteinase-1 in UV irradiated human dermal fibroblasts. Arch. Pharm. Res. 30, 1116-1123. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02980246
- Bhatt, L. R., Bae, M. S., Kim, B. M., Oh, G. S. and Chai, K. Y. 2009. A chalcone glycoside from the fruits of Sorbus commixta Hedl. Molecules 14, 5323-5327. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules14125323
- Bijak, M., Bobrowski, M., Borowiecka, M. and Podsedek, A., 2011. Anticoagulant effect of polyphenols-rich extracts from black chokeberry and grape seeds. Fitoterapia 82, 811-817. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2011.04.017
- Cho, H. C., Kang, S. A., Choi, S. I. and Cheong, C. 2013. Quality characteristics of fruit spirits from a copper distillation apparatus. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 42, 743-752. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.5.743
- Choi, G. P., Chung, B. H., Lee, D. I., Lee, H. Y., Lee, J. H. and Kim, J. D. 2002. Screening of inhibitory activities on angiotensin converting enzyme from medicinal plants. Kor. J. Med. Crop Sci. 10, 399-402.
- Choi, S. I., Lee, Y. M. and Heo, T. R. 2003. Screening of hyaluronidase inhibitory and free radical scavenging activity in vitro of traditional herbal medicine extracts. Kor. J Biotechnol. Bioeng. 18, 282-288.
- Chung, B. H., Lee, H. Y., Lee, J. H., Kim, N. Y., Lee, S. Y., Choi, J. T., Kim, J. H. and Kim, J. D. 2003. Effect of fruit extracts from Sorbus commixta Hedl on the lipid metabolism in rats. Kor. J. Med. Crop Sci. 11, 143-147.
- Jung, I. C. and Sohn, H. Y. 2014. Antioxidation, antimmicorbial and antithrombosis activities of aged black garlic (Allium sativum L.). Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 42, 285-292. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1407.07002
- Kang, D. G., Lee, J. K., Chol, D. H., Sohn, E. J., Moon, M. K. and Lee, H. S. 2005. Vascular relaxation by the methanol extract of Sorbus cortex via NO-cGMP pathway. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 28, 860-864. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.28.860
- Kang, D. G., Sohn, E. J., Lee, A. S., Kim, J. S., Lee, D. H. and Lee, H. S. 2007. Methanol extract of Sorbus commixta cortex prevents vascular inflammation in rats with a high fructose-induced metabolic syndrome. Am. J. Chin. Med. 35, 265-277. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X07004801
- Kang, M. A., Kim, M. B., Kim, J. H., Ko, Y. H. and Lim, S. B. 2010. Integral antioxidative capacity and antimicrobial activity of pressurized liquid extracts from 40 selected plant species. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39, 1249-1256. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.9.1249
- Kim, H. Y., Choi, H. J., Lim, S. H., Heo, S. J., Han, S. S., Kim, D. S., Hwang, K. H. and Kim, S. 2003. Herbicidal activity of Korean native plants (I). Kor. J. Pest Sci. 7, 248-257.
- Kim, S. H., Jang, Y. S., Chung, H. G., Choi, M. S. and Kim, S. C. 2003. Selection of superior trees for larger fruit and high productivity in Sorbus commixta Hedl. Kor. J. Plant Res. 6, 120-128.
- Kim, T. H., You, J. K., Kim, J. M., Baek, J. M., Kim, H. S., Park, J. H. and Choe, M. 2010. Antioxidant and whitening effects of Sorbus commixta Hedl cortex extract. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39, 1418-1424 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1418
- Lee, K. H., Nam, J. J., Kim, S. M., Kim, H. K., Moon, S. J. and Youm, J. K. 2014. Anti-inflammatory effects of the mixture of Sorbus commixta, Urtica dioica, Phyllostachys nigra, and Rhus semialata Gall extracts on LPS-induced inflammation in HaCaT Cells. J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea 40, 45-54. https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2014.40.1.45
- Lee, M. K., Lee, H. Y., Lee, J. H., Oh, J. S. and Kim, J. D. 2002. Anticancer effect of Sorbus commixta Hedl extracts. Kor. J. Med. Crop Sci. 10, 403-408.
- Lee, S. M., Kim, C. E., Joe, Y. I. and Tahk, H. K. 1972. Isolation of sorbic acid from the mountain ash berries. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 4, 1-5.
- Lee, S. O., Lee, H. W., Lee, I. S. and Im, H. G. 2006. The pharmacological potential of Sorbus commixta cortex on blood alcohol concentration and hepatic lipid peroxidation in acute alcohol-treated rats. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 58, 685-693. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.58.5.0014
- Lee, Y. M., Kim, Y. S., Lee, Y., Kim, J., Sun, H., Kim, J. H. and Kim, J. S. 2012. Inhibitory activities of pancreatic lipase and phosphodiesterase from Korean medicinal plant extracts. Phytother. Res. 26, 778-782. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.3644
- Lim, G. N., Park, M. A. and Park, S. N. 2011. Antioxidative and antiaging effects of Sorbus commixta twig extracts. J. Kor. Oil Chemists’ Soc. 28, 482-490.
- Moon, E., Youn, Y., Choi, B. Y., Jeong, H. U., Park, J. H., Oh, M. S., Soh, Y. and Kim, S. Y. 2010. Extracts of Sorbus commixta and Geranikum thunbergii inhibit osteoclastogenesis and stimulate chondrogenesis. J. Kor. Academia-Industrial Coop. Soc. 11, 3358-3365. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.9.3358
- Na, M. K., An, R. B., Lee, S. M., Min, B. S., Kim, Y. H., Bae, K. H. and Kang, S. S. 2002. Antioxidant compounds from the stem bark of Sorbus commixta. Nat. Prod. Sci. 8, 26-29.
- Na, M. Kim, B. Y., Osada, H. and Ahn, J. S. 2009. Inhibition of protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B by lupeol and lupenone isolated from Sorbus commixta. J. Enzyme Inhib. Med. Chem. 24, 1056-1059. https://doi.org/10.1080/14756360802693312
- Park, J. H., Do. W. I. and Kim, M. H. 2009. Pharmacognostical studies on the Korean folk medicine “Ma Ga Mog”. Kor. J. Pharmacogn. 40, 32-34.
- Singleton, V. L., Orthofer, R. and Lamuela-Raventos, R. M. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocaleau reagent. Methods Enzymol. 299, 152-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99017-1
- Sohn, E. J., Kang, D. G., Mun, Y. J., Woo, W. H. and Lee, H. S. 2005. Anti-atherogenic effects of the methanol extract of Sorbus Cortex in atherogenic-diet rats. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 28, 1444-1449. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.28.1444
- Song, H. K., So, S. K., Kim, M. Y., Park, J. M., Lee, S. H. and Park, G. S. 2007. Vegetation – environment relationships in forest community of ulleung island. Kor. J. Env. Eco. 21, 82-97.
- Sweeney, J. D., Hoerning, L. A., Behrens, A. N., Novak, E. and Swank, R. T. 1990. Thrombocytopenia after desmopressin but absence of in-vitro hypersensitivity to ristocetin. Amer. J. Clin. Path. 93, 522-525. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/93.4.522
- Valentina, U., Fabcic, J. and Stampar. F. 2007. Sugars, organic acids, phenolic composition and antioxidant activity of sweet cherry (Prunus avium L.). Food Chem. 107, 185-192.
- Yang, G. and An, H. J. 2014. β-sitosteryl-3-O-β-glucopyranoside isolated from the bark of Sorbus commixta ameliorates pro-inflammatory mediators in RAW 264.7 macrophages. Immunopharmacol. Immunotoxicol. 36, 70-77. https://doi.org/10.3109/08923973.2013.866956
- Yin, M. H., Kang, D. G., Choi, D. H., Kwon, T. O. and Lee, H. S. 2005. Screening of vasorelaxant activity of some medicinal plants used in Oriental medicines. J. Ethnopharmacol. 99, 113-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.02.013
- Yu, T., Lee, Y. J., Jang, H. J., Kim, A. R., Hong, S. Y., Kim, T. W., Kim, M. Y., Lee, J. H., Lee, Y. G. and Cho, J. Y. 2011. Anti-inflammatory activity of Sorbus commixta water extract and its molecular inhibitory mechanism. J. Ethnopharmacol. 134, 493-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.12.032