- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Brain Wave Control Effect of Smart-wave via Docking into the Odorant-binding Protein
스마트 웨이브 조성물질의 odorant 결합 단백질에 대한 분자 결합 친화도 비교 분석 및 후각 흡입으로 유도되는 뇌파 변화 연구
- Received : 2016.01.09
- Accepted : 2016.02.22
- Published : 2016.03.30
Aroma inhalation therapy has traditionally been used not only in alternative medicinal treatment but also in psychotherapy. In the first stage of the study, the in silico molecular binding affinity of the major ingredients of Smart-Wave (SW) on the active site of the odorant-binding protein (OBP) was compared with that of citrate anions. The binding affinity of the chemical mixture formula of the major ingredients of SW on the OBP was relatively higher than that of citrate anions. In addition, nasal inhalation of SW had a positive effect upon changes in brain waves. Eighteen healthy volunteers participated in the experiment. The study consisted of measurements of the brain’s meditation level recordings in the pre- and post-SW inhalation periods as compared with negative (EV) and positive (HB) control groups. After SW inhalation, all the subjects stated that they felt “fresher” and that the SW trial group had significantly changed the brain’s meditation in a positive way. SW inhalation also converted EV-induced unstable brain meditation wave patterns into more stable patterns. Collectively, the results of this empirical study strongly suggest that the SW mixture activates the OBP and controls the mental state by regulating brain waves. The results provide scientific evidence that the SW formula has potential as an effective mental-stress controller.
Brain wave;inhalation;meditation;odorant-binding protein;smart wave
- Barkai, E. 2014. Neural mechanisms of odor rule learning. Prog. Brain Res. 208, 253-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-63350-7.00010-3
- Briand, L., Eloit, C., Nespoulous, C., Bezirard, V., Huet, J. C., Henry, C., Blon, F., Trotier, D. and Pernollet, J. C. 2002. Evidence of an odorant-binding protein in the human olfactory mucus: location, structural characterization, and odorant-binding properties. Biochemistry 41, 7241-7252. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi015916c
- Buchbauer, G., Jirovetz, L., Jager, W., Dietrich, H. and Plank, C. 1991. Aromatherapy: evidence for sedative effects of the essential oil of lavender after inhalation. Z. Naturforsch. C. 46, 1067-1072.
- Galindo, K. and Smith, D. P. 2001. A large family of divergent Drosophila odorant-binding proteins expressed in gustatory and olfactory sensilla. Genetics 159, 1059-1072.
- Hur, M. H., Song, J. A., Lee, J. and Lee, M. S. 2014. Aromatherapy for stress reduction in healthy adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Maturitas 79, 362-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.08.006
- Lee, K. H. 2009. Evaluation of attention and relaxation levels of archers in shooting progress using brain wave signal analysis algorithms. Kor. J. Sci. Emotion Sensi. 12, 341-350.
- Lei, Q., Liu, H., Peng, Y. and Xiao, P. 2015. In silico target fishing and pharmacological profiling for the isoquinoline alkaloids of Macleaya cordata (Bo Luo Hui). Chin. Med. 10, 37. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13020-015-0067-4
- Lesage-Meessen, L., Bou, M., Sigoillot, J. C., Faulds, C. B. and Lomascolo, A. 2015. Essential oils and distilled straws of lavender and lavandin: a review of current use and potential application in white biotechnology. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 99, 3375-3385. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-015-6511-7
- Linck, V. M., da Silva, A. L., Figueiro, M., Caramao, E. B., Moreno, P. R. and Elisabetsky, E. 2010. Effects of inhaled Linalool in anxiety, social interaction and aggressive behavior in mice. Phytomedicine 17, 679-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2009.10.002
- Masbuchin, A. N., Rohman, M. S., Putri, J. F., Cahyaningtyas, M. and Widodo. 2015. 279(Val-->Phe) polymorphism of lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 resulted in changes of folding kinetics and recognition to substrate. Comput. Biol. Chem. 59 Pt A, 199-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compbiolchem.2015.10.001
- Mohan, M., James, P., Valsalan, R. and Nazeem, P. A. 2015. Molecular docking studies of phytochemicals from Phyllanthus niruri against Hepatitis B DNA Polymerase. Bioinformation 11, 426-431. https://doi.org/10.6026/97320630011426
- Moon, H., Choi, H. H., Lee, J. Y., Moon, H. J., Sim, S. S. and Kim, C. J. 2008. Quercetin inhalation inhibits the asthmatic responses by exposure to aerosolized-ovalbumin in conscious guinea-pigs. Arch. Pharm. Res. 31, 771-778. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-001-1225-2
- Nassiri-Asl, M., Moghbelinejad, S., Abbasi, E., Yonesi, F., Haghighi, M. R., Lotfizadeh, M. and Bazahang, P. 2013. Effects of quercetin on oxidative stress and memory retrieval in kindled rats. Epilepsy Behav. 28, 151-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2013.04.019
- Pelosi, P. 2001. The role of perireceptor events in vertebrate olfaction. Cell. Mol. Life. Sci. 58, 503-509. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00000875
- Pelosi, P., Mastrogiacomo, R., Iovinella, I., Tuccori, E. and Persaud, K. C. 2014. Structure and biotechnological applications of odorant-binding proteins. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 98, 61-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-013-5383-y
- Persuy, M. A., Sanz, G., Tromelin, A., Thomas-Danguin, T., Gibrat, J. F. and Pajot-Augy, E. 2015. Mammalian olfactory receptors: molecular mechanisms of odorant detection, 3D-modeling, and structure-activity relationships. Prog. Mol. Biol. Transl. Sci. 130, 1-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.pmbts.2014.11.001
- Poltavski, D. V. 2015. The use of single-electrode wireless EEG in biobehavioral investigations. Methods Mol. Biol. 1256, 375-390. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-2172-0_25
- Poltavski, D. V., Biberdorf, D. and Petros, T. V. 2012. Accommodative response and cortical activity during sustained attention. Vision Res. 63, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.visres.2012.04.017
- Schiefner, A., Freier, R., Eichinger, A. and Skerra, A. 2015. Crystal structure of the human odorant binding protein, OBPIIa. Proteins 83, 1180-1184. https://doi.org/10.1002/prot.24797
- Schwaighofer, A., Pechlaner, M., Oostenbrink, C., Kotlowski, C., Araman, C., Mastrogiacomo, R., Pelosi, P., Knoll, W., Nowak, C. and Larisika, M. 2014. Insights into structural features determining odorant affinities to honey bee odorant binding protein 14. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 446, 1042-1046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2014.03.054
- Shah, G., Shri, R., Panchal, V., Sharma, N., Singh, B. and Mann, A. S. 2011. Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Cymbopogon citratus, stapf (Lemon grass). J. Adv. Pharm. Technol. Res. 2, 3-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/2231-4040.79796
- Shin, J. Y., Chun, S. Y. and Lee, C. S. 2013. Analysis of the effect on attention and relaxation level by correlated color temperature and illuminance of LED lighting using EEG signal. J. Kor. Inst. IIIuminating Electric. Install. Engineers 27, 9-17.
- Strotmann, J. and Breer, H. 2011. Internalization of odorant-binding proteins into the mouse olfactory epithelium. Histochem. Cell. Biol. 136, 357-369. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00418-011-0850-y
- Trott, O. and Olson, A. J. 2010. AutoDock Vina: improving the speed and accuracy of docking with a new scoring function, efficient optimization, and multithreading. J. Comput. Chem. 31, 455-461.
- Van Hal, B., Rhodes, S., Dunne, B. and Bossemeyer, R. 2014. Low-cost EEG-based sleep detection. Conf. Proc. IEEE. Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. 2014, 4571-4574.
- Woronuk, G., Demissie, Z., Rheault, M. and Mahmoud, S. 2011. Biosynthesis and therapeutic properties of Lavandula essential oil constituents. Planta Med. 77, 7-15. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0030-1250136