- Volume 16 Issue 1
Generally, a single phase H-bridge converter feeding a single primary track is employed in conventional inductive power transfer systems. However, these systems may not be suitable for some high power applications due to the constraints of the semiconductor switches and the cost. To resolve this problem, a novel dual coupled primary tracks IPT system consisting of two high frequency resonant inverters feeding the tracks is presented in this paper. The primary tracks are wound around an E-shape ferrite core in parallel which enhances the magnetic flux around the tracks. The mutual inductance of the coupled tracks is utilized to achieve adjustable power sharing between the inverters by configuring the additional resonant capacitors. The total transfer power can be continuously regulated by altering the pulse width of the inverters' output voltage with the phase shift control approach. In addition, the system's efficiency and the control strategy are provided to analyze the characteristic of the proposed IPT system. An experimental setup with total power of 1.4kW is employed to verify the proposed system under power ratios of 1:1 and 1:2 with a transfer efficiency up to 88.7%. The results verify the performance of the proposed system.
Dual primary tracks;Inductive Power Transfer (IPT);Power distribution;Power sharing
- X. Dai, Y. Zou, and Y. Sun, “Uncertainty Modeling and Robust Control for LCL Resonant Inductive Power Transfer System,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 5 pp. 814-828, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.5.814
- Y. L. Li, Y. Sun, and X. Dai, “μ-Synthesis for Frequency Uncertainty of the ICPT System,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 291–300, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2170394
- M. Pinuela, D. C. Yates, S. Lucyszyn, and P. D. Mitcheson, “Maximizing DC-to-Load Efficiency for Inductive Power Transfer,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2437-2447, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2215887
- Z.-H. Wang, Y.-P. Li, Y. Sun, and C.-S. Tang, “Load Detection Model of Voltage-Fed Inductive Power Transfer System,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 5233-5243, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2243756
- A. P. Hu, "Selected resonant converters for IPT power supplies," Ph.D. dissertation, Univ. Auckland, Auckland, NZ, 2001.
- M. J. Neath, A. K. Swain, U. K. Madawala, and D. J. Thrimawithana, “An Optimal PID Controller for a Bidirectional Inductive Power Transfer System Using Multi objective Genetic Algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1523-1531, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2262953
- S. Lee, B. Choi, and C. T. Rim, “Dynamics Characterization of the Inductive Power Transfer System for Online Electric Vehicles by Laplace Phasor Transform,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 12, pp. 5902-5909, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2254500
- W. Zhang, S.-C. Wong, C. K. Tse, and Q. H. Chen, “Design for Efficiency Optimization and Voltage Controllability of SeriesSeries Compensated Inductive Power Transfer Systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 191-200, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2249112
- H. Hao, G. A. Covic, and J. T. Boys, “A Parallel Topology for Inductive Power Transfer Power Supplies,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No.3, pp. 1140-1151, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2262714
- G. B. Joun and B. H. Cho, “An energy transmission system for an artificial heart using leakage inductance compensation of transcutaneous transformer,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 1013–1022, Nov. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.728328
- S. Hasanzadeh, S. Vaez-Zadeh, and A. H. Isfahani, “Optimization of a contactless power transfer system for electric vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3566–3573, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2209464
- G. A. J. Elliot, S. Raabe, G. A. Covic, and J. T. Boys, “Multiphase pickups for large lateral tolerance contactless power-transfer systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 1590–1598, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031184
- J. Huh, S. W. Lee, W. Y. Lee, G. H. Cho, and C. T. Rim, “Narrow-width inductive power transfer system for online electrical vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 3666–3679, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2160972
- G. A. Covic, G. Elliott, O. H. Stielau, R. M. Green, and J. T. Boys, "The design of a contact-less energy transfer system for a people mover system," in Proc. International Conference on Power System Technology, Vol. 1, pp. 79-84, 2000.
- B. Song, J. Shin, S. Lee, and S. Shin, "Design of a high power transfer pickup for on-line electric vehicle (OLEV)," in IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conferrence(IEVC), pp. 1-4. Mar. 2012.
- K. D. Papastergiou and D. E. Macpherson, "An airborne radar power supply with contactless transfer of energy-part-I: Rotating transformer," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2874-2884, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.902044
- S. Chopra and P. Bauer, “Driving range extension of EV with on-road contactless power transfer—A case study,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 329–338, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2182015
- H. R. Rahnamaee, D. J. Thrimawithana, and U. K. Madawala, "MOSFET based Multilevel converter for IPT systems," In International Conference on Industrial Technology(ICIT), pp. 295-300. Feb./Mar. 2014.
- H. R. Rahnamaee, U. K. Madawala, and D. J. Thrimawithana, "A multi-level converter for high power-high frequency IPT systems," in IEEE 5th International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems(PEDG), pp. 1-6. Jun. 2014.
- B. X. Nguyen, D. M. Vilathgamuwa, G. Foo, A. Ong, P. K. Sampath, and U. K. Madawala, "Cascaded multilevel converter based bidirectional inductive power transfer (BIPT) system," in International Power Electronics Conference(IPEC), pp. 2722-2728. May 2014.
- C. Carretero, O. Lucía, J. Acero and J. M. Burdío, “Phase-shift control of dual half-bridge inverter feeding coupled loads for induction heating purposes,” Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 11, pp. 670-671, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2011.1114
- A. J. Aronson, "Vacuum coating system with induction heating vaporizing crucibles," U.S. Patent 3 657 506, Apr. 18, 1972.
- C. Carretero, O. Lucía, J. Acero, and J. M. Burdío, “Computational modeling of two partly coupled coils supplied by a double half-bridge resonant inverter for induction heating appliances,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 3092-3105, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2202360
- O. Lucía, C. Carretero, J. M. Burdío, and F. Almazan, “Multiple-output resonant matrix converter for multiple induction heaters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 1387-1396, Jul./Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2199456
- C. Carretero, O. Lucía, J. Acero, and J. M. Burdío, "FEA tool based model of partly coupled coils used in domestic induction cookers," 37th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society. pp. 2533-2538, Nov. 2011.
- H. P. Ngoc, H. Fujita, K. Ozaki, and N. Uchida, “Phase angle control of high-frequency resonant currents in a multiple inverter system for zone-control induction heating,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3357-3366, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2146278
- R. W. Erickson and D. Maksimovic, “Fundamentals of power electronics,” Springer, 2001.
- Efficiency optimising strategy for dual-coupled transmitters based WPT systems vol.52, pp.22, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2016.2680
- A Novel WPT System Based on Dual Transmitters and Dual Receivers for High Power Applications: Analysis, Design and Implementation vol.10, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10020174
- Circulating Current Reduction Strategy for Parallel-Connected Inverters Based IPT Systems vol.10, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10030261
- Analysis and Transmitter Currents Decomposition Based Control for Multiple Overlapped Transmitters Based WPT Systems Considering Cross Couplings vol.33, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2017.2690061
- Dual-Phase-Shift Control Scheme With Current-Stress and Efficiency Optimization for Wireless Power Transfer Systems vol.65, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2018.2817254