- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Fault Detection of a Proposed Three-Level Inverter Based on a Weighted Kernel Principal Component Analysis
Lin, Mao;Li, Ying-Hui;Qu, Liang;Wu, Chen;Yuan, Guo-Qiang
- Received : 2015.06.02
- Accepted : 2015.09.11
- Published : 2016.01.20
Fault detection is the research focus and priority in this study to ensure the high reliability of a proposed three-level inverter. Kernel principal component analysis (KPCA) has been widely used for feature extraction because of its simplicity. However, highlighting useful information that may be hidden under retained KPCs remains a problem. A weighted KPCA is proposed to overcome this shortcoming. Variable contribution plots are constructed to evaluate the importance of each KPC on the basis of sensitivity analysis theory. Then, different weighting values of KPCs are set to highlight the useful information. The weighted statistics are evaluated comprehensively by using the improved feature eigenvectors. The effectiveness of the proposed method is validated. The diagnosis results of the inverter indicate that the proposed method is superior to conventional KPCA.
Fault detection;Kernel principal component analysis (KPCA);Sensitivity analysis;Three-level inverter
- M. Schweizer, T. Friedli, and J. W. Kolar, “Comparative evaluation of advanced three-phase three-level inverter/converter topologies against two-level systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 12, pp. 5515-5527, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2233698
- J.-H. Zhou, B. Jia, X.-W. Zhang, and Y.-A. Chen, “A hybrid three-level neutral-point balance control strategy,” Proceeding of the CSEE., Vol. 33, No. 24, pp. 82-89, Aug. 2013.
- S.-Y. Yang, D.-W. Xiang, A. Bryant, and P. Mawby, “Condition monitoring for device reliability in power electronic converters: A Review,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No, 11, pp. 2734-2752, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2049377
- B. Lu and S. K. Sharma, “A literature review of IGBT fault diagnostic and protection methods for power inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 1770-1777, Sep./Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2027535
- A. E. Ginart, D. W. Brown, P. W. Kalgren, and M. J. Roemer, “Online ringing characterization as a diagnostic technique for IGBTs in power drives,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 58, No. 7, pp. 2290-2299, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2009.2013920
- B. Wang, A. Hu, Y. Tang, and M Chen, “Analysis of voltage breakdown characteristic of IGBT,” Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 145-150, Aug. 2011.
- Y. Yu, S.-C. Jiang, R.-F. Yang, G. Wang, and D. Xu, “IGBT open circuit fault diagnosis method for inverter,” Proceedings of the CSEE., Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 25-30, Sep. 2011.
- R. Szczesny, H. Piquet, and P. Kurzynski, "Fault detection and diagnosis in the electric drives," European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Vol. 2, pp. 995-1000, 1997.
- F. Zidani, D. Diallo, M. E. H. Benbouzid, and R. Na¨ıt-Sa¨ıd, “A fuzzy based approach for the diagnosis of fault modes in a voltage-fed PWM inverter induction motor drive,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 586-593, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.911951
- S. Khomfoi and L. M. Tolbert, “Fault diagnostic system for a multilevel inverter using a neural network,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No, 3, pp. 1062-1069, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.897128
- C. Wang, L.-M. Jia, and X.-F. Li, “Fault diagnosis method for the train axle box bearing based on KPCA and GA-SVM,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 441, pp. 376-379, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.441.376
- X.-G. Deng and X. M. Tian, “Fault diagnosis method based on immune kernel Principal component analysis,” Journal of Tsinghua University, Vol. 48, No, 8, pp. 1794-1798, Oct. 2008.
- Q.-C. Jiang and X.-F. Yan, “Weight kernel principal component analysis based on probability density estimation and moving window and its application in nonlinear chemical process monitoring,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, Vol. 127, pp. 121-131, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2013.06.013
- J.-H. Hu, S.-S. Xie, W. Chen, S. Hou, and K.-L. Cai, “An aeroengine fault detection method based on kernel principal component analysis,” Journal of Propulsion Tecnology, Vol. 29, No, 1, pp. 79-83, Feb. 2008.
- Q. Jiang and X. Yan, “Chemical processes monitoring based on weighted principal component analysis and its application,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, Vol. 119, No, 7, pp. 11-20, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2012.09.002
- J.-H. Hu, S.-S. Xie, G.-Q. Luo, F. Yang, and J.-B. Peng, “Fault identification method of kernel principal component analysis based on contribution plots and its application,” Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 30, No, 3, pp. 572-576, Mar. 2008.
- A. Rakotomamonjy, “Variable selection using SVM-based criteria,” Journal of Machine Learning Research, Vol. 3, pp. 1357-1370, Mar. 2003.
- M.-Y. Zhao, C. Fu, L. Ji, K. Tang, and M.-T. Zhou, “Feature selection and parameter optimization for support vector machines: A new approach based on genetic algorithm with feature chromosomes,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 5197-5204, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2010.10.041
- FCS-MPC Control Strategy for a New Fault Tolerant Three-level Inverter vol.57, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7305/automatika.2017.02.1293
- Detection and identification of multiple IGBT open-circuit faults in PWM inverters for AC machine drives pp.1755-4543, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2018.5188