- Volume 16 Issue 1
An active front end (AFE) is required for a three-phase induction motor (IM) fed by a voltage source inverter (VSI), because of the increasing need to derive quality current from the utility end without sacrificing the power factor (PF). This study investigates a proportional-plus-integral (PI) controller based AFE topology that uses a super-lift converter (SLC). The significance of the proposed SLC, which converts rectified AC supply to geometrically proceed ripple-free DC supply, is explained. Variations in several power quality parameters in the intended IM drive for 0% and 100% loading conditions are demonstrated. A simulation is conducted by using MATLAB/Simulink software, and a prototype is built with a field programmable gate array (FPGA) Spartan-6 processor. Simulation results are correlated with the experimental results obtained from a 0.5 HP IM drive prototype with speed feedback and a voltage/frequency (V/f) control strategy. The proposed AFE topology using SLC is suitable for three-phase IM drives, considering the supply end PF, the DC-link voltage and current, the total harmonic distortion (THD) in supply current, and the speed response of IM.
Active front end;DC-link fluctuations;Induction motor drives;PI controller;Total harmonic distortion
- X. Du, L. Zhou, H. Lu, and H. M. Tai, “DC link active power filter for three-phase diode rectifier,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 1430–1442, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2167112
- B.-R. Lin and C.-C. Chien, “Interleaved boost-flyback converter with boundary conduction mode for power factor correction,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 708-714, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.5.708
- J.-W. Shin, B.-C. Hyeon, and B.-H. Cho, “Digital control of a power factor correction boost rectifier using diode current sensing technique,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp.903-910, Nov. 2009.
- M. Lucanu, O. Ursaru, C. Aghion, and N. Lucanu, “Single-phase direct AC-AC boost converter,” Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 107-112, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4316/AECE.2014.03014
- S. Sajeev and A. Mathew, "Novel cost effective induction motor drive with bridgeless PFC and four switch inverter," in International Conference on Emerging Trends in Communication, Control, Signal Processing & Computing Applications(C2SPCA), pp. 1-6, Oct. 2013.
- R. Maheshwari,S. Munk-Nielsen, and K. Lu, “An active damping technique for small DC-link capacitor based drive system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 848-858, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2222036
- F. Fleming, O. Vodyakho, C. S. Edrington, and M. Steurer, "Influence of DC-link fluctuations on three-phase induction motor drives," in IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, pp.748-753, Sep. 2009.
- M. Hinkkanen and J. Luomi, “Induction motor drives equipped with diode rectifier and small DC-link capacitance,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 312–320, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.903959
- K. Jalili, N. Weitendorf, and S. Bernet, “Behavior of PWM active front ends in the presence of parallel thyristor converters, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp.1035-1046, Mar. 2008 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.917079
- N. Mendez-Gomez, O. Bousono, R. Castaneyra, and E. I. Ortiz-Rivera, "Development of a low cost induction motor drive system using a PVM, boost converter and three-phase inverter," in IEEE 38th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference(PVSC), pp. 001348-001351, Jun. 2012.
- F. L. Luo, “Six self lift DC-DC converters, voltage lift technique,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 1268-1272, Dec. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.969408
- J. V. Caracas, G. C. Farias, L. F. Teixeira, and L. A. Ribeiro, “Implementation of a high-efficiency, high-lifetime, and low-cost converter for an autonomous photovoltaic water pumping system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 631 – 641, Jan. /Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2271214
- F. L. Luo and H. Ye, Advanced Dc/DC Converters, CRC Press, Chapter 3, London, 2003.
- F. L. Luo and H. Ye, “Positive output super-lift converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.105-113, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807198
- K. R. Kumar and S. Jeevananthan, “PI control for positive output elementary super lift luo converter,” International Journal of Electrical, Computer, Energetic Electronic and Communication Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 544-549, 2010.
- L. Moran, J. Espinoza, M. Ortiz, J. Rodriguez, and J. Dixon, "Practical problems associated with the operation of ASDs based on active front end converters in power distribution systems," in IEEE Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 4, pp. 2568-2572, Oct. 2004.
- F. L. Luo, "Luo-converters: A series of new DC-DC step-up (boost) conversion circuits," in Proceeding of International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, Vol. 2, pp. 882-888, May 1997.
- P. Mattavelli, L. Rossetto, and G. Spiazzi, “Small signal analysis of DCDC converter with sliding mode control,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 96-102, Jan. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.554174
- Y. Panov, J. Rajagopalan, and F. C. Lee, "Analysis and control design of N paralleled DC-DC converters with master-slave current sharing control," in Proceeding of Applied Power Electronics Conference, pp. 436-442, 1997.
- P. Comines and N. Munro, "PID controllers: Recent tuning methods and design to specification," in Proceeding of IEE Control Theory and Applications, Vol. 149, No. 1, pp. 46-53, Jan. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-cta:20020103
- M. H. V. Reddy and V. Jegathesan, "Open loop V/f control of induction motor based on hybrid PWM with reduced torque ripple," in International Conference on Emerging Trends in Electrical and Computer Technology(ICETECT), pp. 331-336, Mar. 2011.
- C. S. Kamble, J. G. Chaudhari, and M. V. Aware, "Digital signal processor based V/F controlled induction motor drive," in 3rd International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology(ICETET), pp. 345-349, Nov. 2010.
- A. M. Hava, R. J. Kerman, and T. A. Lipo “Carrier-based PWM-VSI over modulation strategies: Analysis, comparison and design,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 674-689, Jul. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.704136
- A. Belkheiri, M. Belkheiri, S. Aoughellanet, and A. Rabhi, "FPGA implementation of configurable three-phase SPWM module," in 2nd International Conferenceon Communications, Computing and Control Applications(CCCA), pp. 1-5, Dec. 2012.