- Volume 16 Issue 1
A cascaded hybrid multilevel inverter including a reconfiguration technique for low voltage dc distribution applications is proposed in this paper. A PWM generation fault detection and reconfiguration paradigm after an inverter cell fault are developed by using only a single-chip controller. The proposed PWM technique is also modified to reduce switching losses. In addition, the proposed topology can reduce the number of required power switches compared to the conventional cascaded multilevel inverter. The proposed technique is validated by using a 3-kVA prototype. The switching losses of the proposed multilevel inverter are also investigated. The experimental results show that the proposed hybrid inverter can improve system efficiency, reliability and cost effectiveness. The efficiency of proposed system is 97.45% under the tested conditions. The proposed hybrid inverter topology is a promising method for low voltage dc distribution and can be applied for the multiple loads which are required in a data center or telecommunication building.
Cascaded hybrid inverter;Cascaded multilevel inverter;DC microgrid;Low Voltage DC Distribution;PWM paradigm;Reconfiguration technique
- R. Lasseter, "Microgrid," in Proc. IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting 2002, pp. 305-308.
- F. Z. Peng, Y. W. Li, and L. M. Tolbert, "Control and protection of power electronics interfaced distributed generation systems in a customer-driven microgrid," IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-8, 2009.
- J. J. Justo, F. Mwasilu, J. Lee, and J. W. Jung, “AC- microgrids versus DC- microgrids with distributed resources: A review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, pp. 387-405, Vol. 24, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.03.067
- S. Daher, J. Schmid, and F. L. M. Antunes, “Multilevel inverter topologies for stand-alone PV systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 7,pp. 2703-2711. Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.922601
- H. Kakigano, Y. Miura, T. Ise, and R. Uchida, "DC micro-grid for super high quality distribution-system configuration and control of distributed generations and energy storage devices," in 37th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 1-7, 2006.
- D. Salomonson and A. Sannino, “Low-voltage DC distribution system for commercial power system with sensitive electronic loads,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 22, No. 3, pp 1620-1627, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.883024
- S. Khomfoi and L. M. Tolbert, Multilevel Power Converters, Power Electronics Handbook, 2nd Edition Elsevier, Chapter 17, pp. 451-482. 2007.
- M. D. Manjrekar, P. Steimer, and T. A. Lipo, “Hybrid multilevel power conversion system: A competitive solution for high power applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 834-841, May/Jun. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.845059
- Z. Du, B. Ozpineci, L. M. Tolbert, and J. N. Chiasson, "A novel inductor-less DC-AC cascaded h-bridge multilevel boost inverter for electric/hybrid electric vehicle applications," in IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 2007.
- H. Liu, L. M. Tolbert, B. Ozpineci, and Z. Du, "Comparison of fundamental frequency and PWM methods applied on a hybrid cascaded multilevel inverter," in IEEE Industrial Electronics Society Annual Conference, pp. 3233-3237, 2008.
- S. Mariethoz and A. Rufer, "New Configurations for the three-phase asymmetrical multilevel inverter," in IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, Vol. 2, pp. 828-835, 2004.
- S. Lu, S. Mariethoz, and K. A. Corzine, “Asymmetrical cascade multilevel converters with noninteger or dynamically changing DC voltage ratios: Concepts and modulation techniques,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2411-2418, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2041734
- S. Khomfoi and N. Praisuwanna, "A hybrid cascaded multilevel inverter for interfacing with renewable energy resources," in Proc. the 2010 International Power Electronics Conference (IPEC), pp. 2912-2917, Jun. 2010.
- D. Eaton, J. Rama, and P. W. Hammond, “Neutral shift,” IEEE Ind. Appl. Mag., pp. 40-49, Nov./Dec. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIA.2003.1245795
- B. A. Welchko, T. A. Lipo, T. M. Jahns, and S. E. Schulz, “Fault tolerant three-phase AC motor drive topologies: A comparison of features, cost, limitations,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 4,pp. 1108-1116, Jul. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.830074
- S. Khomfoi, N. Praisuwanna, and L. M. Tolbert, "A hybrid cascaded multilevel inverter including a reconfiguration technique application for low voltage DC distribution," in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, Sep. 2010.
- S. Abramik, W. Sleszynski, J. Nieznanski, and H. Piquet, "A diagnostic method for on-line fault detection and localization in vsi-fed ac drive," in Proc. the 2003 EPE 10th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp.1-8, 2003.