- Volume 16 Issue 1
The on-line measurement of high-power IGBT collector current is important for the hierarchical control and short-circuit and overcurrent protection of its driver and the sensorless control of the converter. The conventional on-line measurement methods for IGBT collector current are not suitable for engineering measurement due to their large-size, high-cost, low-efficiency sensors, current transformers or dividers, etc. Based on the gate driver, this paper has proposed a current measuring circuit for IGBT collector current. The circuit is used to conduct non-intervention on-line measurement of IGBT collector current by detecting the voltage drop of the IGBT power emitter and the auxiliary emitter terminals. A theoretical analysis verifies the feasibility of this circuit. The circuit adopts an operational amplifier for impedance isolation to prevent the measuring circuit from affecting the dynamic performance of the IGBT. Due to using the scheme for integration first and amplification afterwards, the difficult problem of achieving high accuracy in the transient-state and on-state measurement of the voltage between the terminals of IGBT power emitter and the auxiliary emitter (uEe) has been solved. This is impossible for a conventional detector. On this basis, the adoption of a two-stage operational amplifier can better meet the requirements of high bandwidth measurement under the conditions of a small signal with a large gain. Finally, various experiments have been carried out under the conditions of several typical loads (resistance-inductance load, resistance load and inductance load), different IGBT junction temperatures, soft short-circuits and hard short-circuits for the on-line measurement of IGBT collector current. This is aided by the capacitor voltage which is the integration result of the voltage uEe. The results show that the proposed method of measuring IGBT collector current is feasible and effective.
Collector current;Driver;Emitter inductance;IGBT;Measurement;Short-circuit
- C. Sun, C. Zhang and S. Ai, “A practical high-speed fiber ring net topology and protocol for large-capacity power electronic systems,” Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 63-73, May. 2012.
- R. S. Chokhawala, J. Catt, and B. Pelly, “Gate drive considerations for IGBT modules,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 31, No, 3, pp.603-611, May/Jun. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.382122
- V. John, B. Suh and T. A. Lipo, “High performance active gate drive for high power IGBTs,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 35, No. 5, pp.1108-1117, Sep./Oct. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.793372
- D. Bortis, P. Steiner, and J. Biela, “Double-stage gate drive circuit for parallel connected IGBT modules,” IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 16, No. 4, pp.1020-1027, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2009.5211849
- N. Idir, R. Bausière and J. and J. Franchaud, “Active gate voltage control of turn-on di/dt and turn-off dv/dt in insulated gate transistors,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron. Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 849-855, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.876895
- N. Idir, R. Bausière and J. J. Franchaud, “Active gate voltage control of turn-on di/dt and turn-off dv/dt in insulated gate transistors,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 849-855, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.876895
- P. Shihong and T.M. Jahns, "Flexible dv/dt and di/dt control method for insulated gate power switches," Industry Applications Conference, 36th IAS Meeting, IEEE, Vol. 2, pp. 1038-1045, Sep./Oct. 2001.
- H. Kuhn, T. Köneke and A. Mertens, "Considerations for a digital gate unit in high power applications," Power Electronics Specialists Conference PESC'08, Rhodos, Greece, pp.2784-2790, Jun. 2008.
- C. SUN, "The study of technology related to digital active gate drive considerations in distributed control function integrate," the National Natural Science Foundation on the project application, 2011.
- Y. Wang, P. R. Palmer, A. T. Bryant, and S. J. Finney, “An analysis of high-power IGBT switching under cascade active voltage control,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 861-870, Mar./Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2013595
- M A Rodríguez-Blanco, A Claudio-Sánchez, and D. Theilliol, “A failure-detection strategy for IGBT based on gate-voltage behavior applied to a motor drive system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 1625-1633, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2098355
- Y. Lobsiger and J. W. Kolar, "Voltage, current and temperature measurement concepts enabling intelligent gate drives," ECPE Workship, Electronics around the power switch: Gate Drivers, Sensor and Control, Munich, Germany, Jun. 2011.
- C. Schott, H. Blanchard, R. S. Popovic, and R. Racz, “High accuracy analog hall probe,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 613-616, Apr. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/19.571937
- D. Gerber, T. Guillod, R. Leutwyler, and J. Biela, “Gate unit with improved short-circuit detection and turn-off capability for 4.5-kV press-pack IGBTs operation at 4-kA pulse current,” IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. Vol. 41, No. 10, pp. 2641-2648, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2013.2280379
- N. McNeill, N. K. Gupta, and W. G. Armstrong, “Active current transformer circuits for low distortion sensing in switched mode power converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 908-917, Jul. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.830075
- M. Zhu, D. J. Perreault, V. Caliskan, and T. C. Neugebauer, “Design and evaluation of feedforward active ripple filters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 276-285, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.843018
- C. Xiao, L. Zhao, and T. Asada, "An overview of integratable current sensor technologies," Proc. of the 38th IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting (IAS), Vol. 2, pp.1251-1258, Oct. 2003.
- R. Slatter, J. Schmitt and G. V. Manteuffel, "Highly dynamic Current sensors based on Magneto Resistive (MR) technology," Proc. of the Power Conversion Intelligent Motion Conf. (PCIM Europe), pp.616-620, 2011.
- H. N. Shah, Y. Xiao, T. P. Chow, and R. J. Gutmann, "Power electronics modules for inverter applications using flip-chip on flex-circuit technology," Proc. of the 39th IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting (IAS), Vol. 3, pp.1526-1533, Oct. 2004.
- E. R. Motto and J. F. Donlon, "New compact IGBT modules with integrated current and temperature sensors," Powerex technical library, 2005.
- Y. Lobsiger and J. W. Kolar, "Closed-loop di/dt & dv/dt control and dead time minimization of IGBTs in bridge leg configuration," Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), pp.1-7, Jun. 2013.
- Y. Lobsiger and J. W. Kolar, "Stability and robustness analysis of d/dt-closed-loop IGBT gate drive," Proc. the 28th Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC2013), California, USA, pp. 2682-2689, Mar. 2013.
- V. John, “Active gate drive circuits for IGBTs,” University Of Wisconsin, Madison, 1999.
- Z. Wang, X. Shi, L. M. Tolbert, and J. B. Benjamin, "A fast overcurrent protection scheme for IGBT modules through dynamic fault current evaluation," in IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, pp.577-583, Mar. 2013.
- Y. Deng, Z. M. Zhao, L. Q. Yuan, S. D Hu, and X. S. Wang, “IGBT model for analysis of complicated circuits,” Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 30, No. 9, pp. 1-7, Mar. 2010.
- H. Lei and L. Shiguo, "Design considerations of time constant mismatch problem for inductor DCR current sensing method," in 21st Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronic Conference and Exposition, Mar. 2006.
- A. M. Patel and M. Ferdowsi, "Advanced current sensing techniques for power electronic converters," in IEEE Vehicular Power and Propulsion Conference, Arlington, Texas, pp. 524-530, Sep. 2007.