- Volume 16 Issue 1
This paper derives an improved analytical model to estimate switching loss and analyze the effects of parasitic elements on the switching performance of SiC MOSFETs. The proposed analytical model considers the parasitic inductances, the nonlinearity of the junction capacitances and the nonlinearity of the trans-conductance. The turn-on process and the turn-off process are illustrated in detail, and equivalent circuits are derived and solved for each switching transition. The proposed analytical model is more accurate and matches better with experimental results than other analytical models. Note that switching losses calculated based on experiments are imprecise, because the energy of the junction capacitances is not properly disposed. Finally, the proposed analytical model is utilized to account for the effects of parasitic elements on the switching performance of a SiC MOSFET, and the circuit design rules for high frequency circuits are given.
Analytical model;Parasitic elements;SiC MOSFET;Switching loss;Switching performance
- P. Ning, F. Wang, and K. D. Ngo, “High-temperature SiC power module electrical evaluation procedure,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3079-3083, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2151879
- I. Josifovic, J. Popovic-Gerber, and J. A. Ferreira, “Improving SiC JFET switching behavior under influence of circuit parasitics,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 3843-3854, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2185951
- B. Wrzecionko, D. Bortis, J. Biela, and J.W. Kolar, “Novel AC-coupled gate driver for ultrafast switching of normally off SiC JFETs,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 3452-3463, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2182209
- A. Kadavelugu, S. Baek, S. Dutta, S. Bhattacharya, M. Das, A. Agarwal, and J. Scofield, "High-frequency design considerations of dual active bridge 1200 V SiC MOSFET dc-dc converter," in Conf. APEC 2011, pp. 314-320, 2011.
- D. Han, J. Noppakunkajorn, and B. Sarlioglu, "Analysis of a SiC three phase voltage source inverter under various current and power factor operations," in Conf. IECON 2013, pp. 447-452, 2013.
- D. Han, J. Noppakunkajorn, and B. Sarlioglu, "Efficiency comparison of SiC and Si-Based bidirectional DC-DC converters," in Conf. ITEC 2013, pp. 1-7, 2013.
- W. Zhang, Z. Xu, Z. Zhang, F. Wang, L. M. Tolbert, and B. J. Blalock, "Evaluation of 600 V cascode GaN HEMT in device characterization and all-GaN-based LLC resonant converter," in Conf. ECCE 2013, pp. 3571-3578, 2013.
- Y. Wang, S. W. H. de Haan, and J. A. Ferreira, "Potential of improving PWM converter power density with advanced components," Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- Z. Chen, D. Boroyevich, and R. Burgos, "Experimental parametric study of the parasitic inductance influence on MOSFET switching characteristics," in Conf. IPEC 2010, pp. 164-169, 2010.
- F. Xu, B. Guo, L. M. Tolbert, F. Wang, and B. J. Blalock, "Evaluation of SiC MOSFETs for a high efficiency three-phase Buck rectifier," in Conf. APEC 2012, pp. 1762-1769, 2012.
- O. Mostaghimi, N. Wright, and A. Horsfall, "Design and performance evaluation of SiC based DC-DC converter for PV applications," in Conf. ECCE 2012, pp. 3956-3963, 2012.
- C. Stewart, A. Escobar-Mejia, and J. C. Balda, "Guidelines for developing power stage layouts using normally-off SiC JFETs based on parasitic analysis," in Conf. ECCE 2013, pp. 948-955, 2013.
- Z. Zhang, B. Guo, F. Wang, L. M. Tolbert, B. J. Blalock, Z. Liang, and P. Ning, "Methodology for switching characterization evaluation of wide band-gap devices in a phase-leg configuration," in Conf. APEC 2014, pp. 2534-12541, 2014.
- Y. Shen, J. Jiang, Y. Xiong, Y. Deng, X. He, and Z. Zeng, "Parasitic inductance effects on the switching loss measurement of power semiconductor devices," Industrial Electronics, 2006 IEEE International Symposium on, Vol. 2, pp. 847-852, 2006.
- H. Li and S. Munk-Nielsen, "Detail study of SiC MOSFET switching characteristics," in Conf. PEDG 2014, pp. 1-5, 2014.
- Tektronix, Low Capacitance Probes Minimize Impact on Circuit Operation, http://www.tek.com/document/application-note, 2014.
- R. Fu, A. Grekov, K. Peng, and E. Santi, "Parasitic modeling for accurate inductive switching simulation of converters using SiC devices," in Conf. ECCE 2013, pp. 1259-1265, 2013.
- Y. Cui, M. Chinthavali, and L. M. Tolbert, "Temperature dependent Pspice model of silicon carbide power MOSFET," in Conf. APEC 2012, pp. 1698-1704, 2012.
- Z. Chen, "Characterization and modeling of high-switching-speed behavior of SiC active devices," Master thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA, 2009.
- R. Pratap, R. K. Singh, and V. Agarwal, "SiC Power MOSFET modeling challenges," Engineering and Systems, pp. 1-3, 2012.
- B. J. Baliga, Fundamentals of Power Semiconductor Devices, Springer-Verlag GmbH, Chap. 6, pp. 437-443, 2008.
- M. Rodriguez, A. Rodriguez, P. F. Miaja, and J. Sebastian, "A complete analytical switching loss model for power MOSFETs in low voltage converters," Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- Y. Xiao, H. Shah, T. P. Chow, and R. J. Gutmann, "Analytical modeling and experimental evaluation of interconnect parasitic inductance on MOSFET switching characteristics," in Conf. APEC 2004, pp. 516-521, 2004.
- J. Wang, S. H. Chung and R. H. Li, “Characterization and Experimental Assessment of the Effects of Parasitic Elements on the MOSFET Switching Performance,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 573-590, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2195332
- Y. Ren, M. Xu, J. Zhou, and F.C. Lee, “Analytical loss model of power MOSFET,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No.2, pp. 310-319, Mar. 2006.
- M. Rodríguez, A. Rodriguez, P. F. Miaja, D. G. Lamar, and J. S. Zúniga, “An insight into the switching process of power MOSFETs: an improved analytical losses model,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 1626-1640, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2040852
- D. Díaz, M. Vasic, O. García, J. A. Oliver, P. Alou, and J. A. Cobos, "Hybrid behavioral-analytical loss model for a high frequency and low load DC-DC buck converter," in Conf. ECCE 2012, pp. 4288-4294, 2012.
- T. Meade, D. O'Sullivan, R. Foley, C. Achimescu, M. G. Egan, and P. McCloskey, "Parasitic inductance effect on switching losses for a high frequency Dc-Dc converter," in Conf. APEC 2008, pp. 3-9, 2008.
- J. Wang, and S. H. Chung, "Impact of parasitic elements on the spurious triggering pulse in synchronous buck converter," in Conf. ECCE 2013, pp. 480-487, 2013.
- C. N. Ho, F. Canales, A. Coccia, and M. Laitinen, "A circuit-level analytical study on switching behaviors of SiC diode at basic cell for power converters," Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, pp. 1-8, 2008.
- Z. Liu, X. Huang, F. C. Lee, and Q. Li, “Package Parasitic Inductance Extraction and Simulation Model Development for the High-Voltage Cascode GaN HEMT,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1977-1985, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2264941
- X. Huang, Q. Li, Z. Liu, and F. C. Lee, “Analytical loss model of high voltage GaN HEMT in cascode configuration,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 2208-2219, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2267804
- K. Chen, Z. Zhao, L. Yuan, T. Lu, and F. He, “The Impact of Nonlinear Junction Capacitance on Switching Transient and Its Modeling for SiC MOSFET,” IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 333-338, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2014.2362657
- D. Costinett, D. Maksimovic, and R. Zane, “Circuit-Oriented Treatment of Nonlinear Capacitances in Switched-Mode Power Supplies,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 985-995, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2313611
- D. Reusch, and J. Strydom, “Understanding the effect of PCB layout on circuit performance in a high-frequency gallium-nitride-based point of load converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 2008-2015, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2266103
- J. Wang, , and S. H. Chung, “A novel rcd level shifter for elimination of spurious turn-on in the bridge-leg configuration,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 976-984, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2310898
- J. B. Witcher, "Methodology for switching characterization of power devices and modules," Master thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA, 2003.