- Volume 16 Issue 1
A new four-primary-switch diode clamped soft switching three-level DC-DC converter (TLDC) with full zero-voltage switching (ZVS) load range and TL secondary voltage waveform is proposed. The operation principle and characteristics of the presented converter are discussed, and experimental results are consistent with theoretical predictions. The improvements of the proposed converter include a simple and compact primary structure, TL secondary rectified voltage waveform, wide load range ZVS for all primary switches, and full output-regulated range with soft switching operation. The proposed converter also has some disadvantages. The VA rating of the transformer is slightly larger than that of conventional TLDCs in variable input and constant output mode. The conduction loss of the primary coil is slightly higher because an air gap is inserted into the magnetic cores of the transformer. Finally, the secondary circuit is slightly complex.
No circulating current;Reduced filter size;Three-level (TL) DC/DC converter;Zero-voltage switching (ZVS)
- J. R. Pinheiro and I. Barbi, "The three-level ZVS PWM converter—A new concept in high-voltage DC-to-DC conversion," in Proc. IEEE IECON, pp. 173-178, 1992.
- X. Ruan, B. Li, Q. Chen, S. Tan, and C. K. Tse, “Fundamental considerations of three-level DC–DC converters: Topologies, analyses, and control,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 55, No. 11, pp.3733-3743, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.927218
- E. Deschamps and I. Barbi, "A comparison among three-level ZVS-PWM isolated DC-to-DC converters," in Proc. IEEE IECON, pp.1024-1029, 1998.
- F. Canales, P. M. Barbosa, and F. C. Lee, “A zero-voltage and zero-current-switching three level DC/DC converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 898-904, Nov. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.805609
- E. Agostini and I. Barbi, “Three-phase three-level PWM DC-DC converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 1847-1856, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2090904
- F. Liu, G. Hu, and X. Ruan, “Three-phase three-level DC/DC converter for high input voltage and high-power applications adopting symmetrical duty cycle control,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 56-65, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2252432
- W. Li, Y. He, X. He, Y. Sun, F. Wang, and L. Ma, “Series asymmetrical half-bridge converters with voltage auto balance for high input-voltage applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 3665-674, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2227807
- H. Wang, H. S.-H. Chung, and A. Ioinovici, “A new concept of high-voltage DC–DC conversion using asymmetric voltage distribution on the switch pairs and hybrid ZVS–ZCS scheme,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 2242-2259, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2173588
- W. Li, P. Li, H. Yang, and X. He, “Three-level forward-flyback phase-shift ZVS converter with integrated series-connected coupled inductor,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 2846-2856, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2177478
- S. Vighetti, J.-P. Ferrieux, and Y. Lembeye, “Optimization and design of a cascaded DC/DC converter devoted to grid-connected photovoltaic systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 2018-2027, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2167159
- E. Chu, X. Hou, H. Zhang, M. Wu, and X. Liu, “Novel zero-voltage and zero-current switching (ZVZCS) PWM three-level DC/DC converter using output coupled inductor,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1103-1117, Mar. 2014.
- S. Yong and Y. Xu, “Wide range soft switching PWM three-level DC–DC converters suitable for industrial applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 603-616, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2258357
- I.-O. Lee and G.-W. Moon, “Analysis and design of a three-level LLC series resonant converter for high- and wide-input-voltage applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 2966-2979, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2174381
- F. Deng and Z. Chen, “Control of improved full-bridge three-level DC/DC converter for wind turbines in a DC grid,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 314-324, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2198835
- X. Yu, K. Jin, and Z. Liu, “Capacitor voltage control strategy for half-bridge three-level DC/DC converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1557-1561, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2279173
- Y. Shi and X. Yang, “Zero-voltage switching PWM three-level full-bridge DC-DC converter with wide ZVS load range,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 10, pp. 4511-4524, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2232940
- L. Shi, B. P. Baddipadiga, M. Ferdowsi and M. L. Crow, “Improving the dynamic response of a flying-capacitor three-level buck converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2356-2365, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2216291
- X. Ruan and B. Li, “Zero-voltage and zero-current-switching PWM hybrid full-bridge three-level converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 213-220, Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.837911
- F. Liu, J. Yan and X. Ruan, “Zero-voltage and zero-current-switching PWM combined three-level DC/DC converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 1644-1654, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031950
- Y. Shi and X. Yang, “Wide-range soft-switching PWM three-level combined DC–DC converter without added primary clamping devices,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 4511-4524, Oct. 2014.
- D.-Y. Kim, J.-K. Kim, and G.-W Moon, “A three-level converter with reduced filter size using two transformers and flying capacitors,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 46-53, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2191798