- Volume 44 Issue 2
Size reduction is one of the major pre-processing operations in using biomass as a source of energy or raw materials for forest products industry. The grinding characteristics of dried yellow poplar wood chips were investigated using laboratory knife mill with three different screen aperture diameters to provide the basic information for the optimizing of size reduction processes in biomass industry. Average specific energy consumptions were 0.157, 0.137, and 0.093 Wh/g for the screen aperture diameters of 5.0, 7.5, and 9.0 mm, respectively. According to the results of size distribution analysis of ground particles, the sizes of the most of ground particles were much smaller than the aperture diameters of the screens installed on knife mill used in this study.
size reduction;biomass;knife mill;specific energy consumption for milling;particle size distribution;Liriodendron tulipifera L.
- Naimi, L.J., Sokhansanj, S., Mani, S., Hoque, M., Bi. T. 2006. Cost and performance of woody biomass size reduction for energy production. Proceedings of CSBE/SCGAB 2006 Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Stelte, W., Sanadi, A.A., Shang, L., Holm, J.K., Ahrenfeldt, J., Henriksen, U.B. 2012. Recent developments in biomass pelletization - A review. BioResources 7(3): 4451-4490.
- Womac, A.R., Iggathinathane, C., Bitra, P., Miu, P., Yang, T., Sokhansanj, S., Narayan, S. 2007. Biomass pre-processing size reduction with instrumented mills. Proceedings of 2007 ASABE Annual International Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- Zhang, M., Song, X., Deines, T.W., Pei, Z.J., Wang, D. 2012. Biofuel manufacturing from woody biomass: Effects of sieve size used in biomass size reduction. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, Volume 2012, Article ID 581039.
- Zhang, M. 2014. Size reduction of cellulosic biomass for biofuel manufacturing. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering, College of Engineering, Kansas State University, USA.
- Kaliyan, N., Morey, R.V. 2008. Densification of biomass. VDM Verlag.
- Lee, H.W., Kim, B.N., Kim, K.Y. 2005. Study on the power consumption characteristics of Korean domestic species in peripheral milling with image analysis technique. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 33(5): 133-44.
Supported by : Chonnam National University