- Volume 44 Issue 2
Modified poplar has emerged as a potential raw material for furniture production. Lack of specific modified poplar strength information; however, restricts applications in the furniture industry especially as related to strength in corner-joints. Optimization of strength in L-shaped corner dowel modified poplar joints under compression loads utilizing finite element analysis (FEA) by Taguchi method with the focus of this study. Four experiment factors (i.e., Structure Style, Tenon Length, Tenon Diameter, and Tenon Gap), each at three levels, were conducted by adopting a
finite element analysis;modified poplar;furniture joint;Taguchi method
- Atar, M., Ozcifci, A., Altinok, M., Celiket, U. 2009. Determination of diagonal compression and tension performance for case furniture corner joints constructed with wood biscuits. Material & Design 30(3): 665-670. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2008.05.023
- Cai, L.P., Wang, F.H. 1993. Influence of the stiffness of corner joint on case furniture deflection. Holz als Roh-und Werkstoff 51(6): 406-408. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02628238
- Cetin, Y.N. 2012. Effects of glass-fiber composite, dowel, and minifix fasteners on the failure load of corner joints in particleboard case-type furniture. Material & Design 39: 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.02.024
- Colakoglu, M.H., Apay, A.C. 2012. Finite Element analysis of wooden chair strength in free drop. International Journal of Physical Sciences 7(7): 1105-1114.
- Dalvand, M., Ebrahimi, G., Tajvidi, M., Layeghi, M. 2014. Bending moment resistance of dowel corner joints in case-type furniture under diagonal compression load. Journal of Forestry Research 25(4): 981-984. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-014-0481-y
- Dar, F.H., Meakin, J. R., Aspden, R.M. 2002. Statistical methods in Finite Element analysis. Journal of Biomechanics 35(9): 1155-1161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9290(02)00085-4
- Eckelman, C.A., Rabiej, R. 1984. A comprehensive method of analysis of case furniture. Forest Products Journal 35(4): 62-68.
- GB/T 15777-1995 (1995) Method for determination of the modulus of elasticity in compressive parallel to grain of wood. Chinese National Standard.
- GB/T 1928-2009 (2009) General requirements for physical and mechanical tests of wood. Chinese National Standard, Beijing, China.
- GB/T 10357.2-2013 (2013) Test of mechanical properties of furniture-Part 2: Stability of chairs and stools. Chinese National Standard, Beijing, China.
- Gu, F., Hall, P., Miles, N.J., Ding, Q.W., Wu, T. 2014. Improvement of mechanical properties of recycled plastic blends via optimizing processing parameters using the Taguchi method and principal component analysis. Material & Design 62: 189-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.05.013
- Gijo, E.V., Scaria, J. 2010. Reducing rejection and rework by application of Six Sigma methodology in manufacturing process. International Journal of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage 6(1/2): 77-90. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSSCA.2010.034857
- Hill, A.S., Callum, A.S. 2011. Wood Modification. Bioresources 6(2): 918-919.
- Oktaee, J., Ebrahimi, G., Layeghi, M., Ghofrani, M., Eckelman, C.A. 2014. Bending moment capacity of simple and haunched mortise and tenon furniture joints under tension and compression loads. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry 38(2): 291-297. https://doi.org/10.3906/tar-1211-74
- Ross, P.J. 1996. Taguchi techniques for quality engineering New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Segovia, C., Renaud, A., Pizzi, A. 2011. Performance of Dowel-Welded L-Joints for Wood Furniture. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 25(15): 1829-1837. https://doi.org/10.1163/016942410X525722
- Smardzewski, J. 1998. Numerical analysis of furniture constructions. Wood Science and Technology 32(4): 273-286. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00702895
- Tankut, A.N., Tankut, N. 2005. The effects of joint forms (shape) and dimensions on the strengths of mortise and tenon joints. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry 29(6): 493-498.
- Tankut, A.N., Tankut, N. 2009. Investigations the effects of fastener, glue, and composite material types on the strength of corner joints in case-type furniture construction. Material & Design 30(10): 4175-4182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.04.038
- Tankut, A.N., Tankut, N. 2010. Evaluation the effects of edge banding type and thickness on the strength of corner joints in case-type furniture construction. Material & Design 31(6): 2956-2963. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.12.022
- Taguchi, G., Konishi, S. 1987. Taguchi Methods Orthogonal Arrays and Linear Graphs: Tools for Quality Engineering. Dearborn, Michigan: American Supplier Institute.
- Taguchi, G. 1990. Introduction to Quality Engineering, Asian Productivity, Tokyo, Japan.
- Wu, Y., Wu, A. 2000. Taguchi methods for robust design. New York: The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Supported by : Beijing Municipal Commission of Education