- Volume 44 Issue 2
This aims of this study were to investigate the relationship between non-destructive evaluation (NDE) and actual bending properties of particleboard, and to predict the bending properties of three-layer particleboard. Three kinds of raw materials, i.e. Hinoki (Chamaecyparis obtusa Endl.) strand, knife-milled Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga manziesii (Mirb) Franco), and hammer-milled matoa (Pometia spp.) obtained from wooden industry, were utilized as furnish for experimental panel with methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI) resin as binder. The NDE test was conducted by hit sounds using an FFT analyzer according to the spectrum peak of wave frequency, while the static bending test was conducted according to JIS A-5908. The results reveal that the dynamic Young's modulus as an NDE test has a potential for being used to predict the elastic bending of particleboards by a specific equation for adjusting its proper values. The values of NDE and static test are significantly different with a deviation range at 3-20%. The bending stiffness of three-layer particleboards manufactured from different wood species is predictable by observing the bending stiffness of two elements based on the thickness of its layers. The predicted values of bending stiffness and static test are significantly different with a deviation range at 5-24%.
dynamic modulus;three-layer boards;furnish;shelling ratio;predicted bending
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). 1999. Standard method for evaluating the properties of wood-base fiber and particle panel materials. ASTM D-1037-99. ASTM International, Philadelphia.
- Hu, Y., Nakao, T., Nakai, T., J. Gu, J., Wang, F. 2005a. Dynamic properties of three types of wood-based composites. Journal of Wood Science 51: 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10086-003-0614-y
- Hu, Y., Wang, F., Gu, J., Liu, Y., Nakao, T. 2005b. Nondestructive test and prediction of modulus of elasticity of veneer-overlaid particleboard composite. Wood Science and Technology 39: 439-447. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00226-005-0013-1
- Japanese Industrial Standard. 2003. Particleboards, JIS A 5908. Japanese Standards Association, Tokyo.
- Jayne, B.A., Bodig, J. 1982. Mechanics of wood and wood composites. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York. p. 712.
- Marra, G.G., Pellerin, R.F., Galligan, W.L. 1966. Nondestructive determination of wood strength and elasticity by vibration. Holz als Roh- und Werkstoff 24(10): 460-466. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02612875
- Moslemi, A.A. 1994. Particleboard, Vol 1: Materials, Southern Illinois University Press, Carbondale. p. 244.
- Moya, L., Tze, W.T.Y., Winandy, J.E. 2010. Predicting bending stiffness of randomly oriented hybrid panels. Wood and Fiber Science 42(4): 536-549.
- Park, H.J., Lee, P.W., Chung, J.S. 1993. A study on the estimating the mechanical properties of three-layer particleboard. Mokchae Konghak 21(3): 64-72.
- Park, H.M., Lee, S.K., Seok, J.H., Choi, N.K., Kwon, C.B., Heo, H.S., Byeon, H.S., Yang, J.K., Kim, J.C. 2011. Effect of green tea content on dynamic modulus of elasticity of hybrid boards composed of green tea and wood fibers, and prediction of static bending strength performance by flexural vibration test. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 39(6): 538-547. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2011.39.6.538
- Ross, R.J. 1992. Nondestructive Testing of Wood, in Proceedings of Nondestructive Evaluation of Civil Structures and Materials. University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, pp. 43-47.
- Ross, R.J., Pellerin, R.F. 1988. NDE of wood-based composites with longitudinal stress wave. Forest Products Journal 38(5): 39-45.
- Suzuki, S., Miyamoto, K. 1998. Effect of manufacturing parameters on the linear expansion and density profile of particleboard. Journal of Wood Science 44: 444-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00833408
- Teixeira, D.E., Moslemi, A. 2001. Assessing modulus of elasticity of wood-fiber cement sheet using nondestructive evaluation (NDE). Bioresources Technology 79: 193-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00038-4