- Volume 51 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Peroxides on the Properties of Reclaimed Polypropylene/Waste Ground Rubber Tire Composites Prepared by a Twin Screw Extrusion
Kim, Seonggil;Lee, Minji;Lee, Hyeongsu;Jeong, Hobin;Park, Yuri;Jhee, Kwang-Hwan;Bang, Daesuk
- Received : 2015.11.02
- Accepted : 2015.11.17
- Published : 2016.03.31
In this study, the reclaimed polypropylene (RPP) and waste ground rubber tire (WGRT) were used to simulate the thermoplastic vulcanizate (TPV) for cost reduction and resources recycling. Also, we examined the effects of dicumyl peroxide (DCP) and 2,5-dimethyl-2,5-di-(tert-butylperoxy)-hexane (DTBPH) as peroxide type cross-linking agents to enhance the properties of TPV's. The components of RPP and WGRT were fixed at 30 and 70 wt%, and DCP and DTBPH were added in the concentrations from 0.5 to 1.5 phr, respectively. RPP/WGRT composites with different contents of DCP and DTBPH were prepared by a modular intermeshing co-rotating twin screw extruder. The Young's modulus of composites were decreased with increasing peroxides contents. On the other hand, tensile strength, elongation at break, and impact strength of the composites were increased with peroxide contents. We also confirmed that interfacial adhesion between RPP and WGRT was considerably improved by adding the peroxides. Taken together, DTBPH added RPP/WGRT composites exhibited better mechanical properties rather than those of DCP added composites.
reclaimed polypropylene;waste ground rubber tire;modular intermeshing co-rotating twin screw extruder;peroxide
- B. Adhikari, D. De, and S. Maiti, "Reclamation and Recycling of Waste Rubber", Prog. Polym. Sci., 25, 909 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6700(00)00020-4
- H. Ismail, M. Awang, and M. A. Hazizan, "Effect of Waste Tire Dust (WTD) Size on the Mechanical and Morpholgical Properties of Polypropylene/Waste Tire Dust (PP/WTD) Blends", Polym. Plast. Technol., 45, 463 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1080/03602550600553739
- H. S. Kye, K. C. Shin, and D. S. Bang, "A Study on the Mechanical and Rheological Properties of the Recycled Polyethylene Composites with Ground Waste Tire Powder", Elastomer, 41, 97 (2006).
- J. L. Park, and S. K. Lee, "A Study on the GRT/PE Composite for Reuse of Waste Tire (Effect of GRT by Cold Crusher)", J. Korea Soc. Environ. Administ., 10, 193 (2004).
- K. H. Park, D. H. Kim, J. K. Jung, S. G. Kim, M. H. Oh, B. S. Kim, and D. S. Bang, "Effect of Compatibilizers on the Mechanical Properties of Waste Polypropylene/Waste Ground Rubber Tire Composite", J. of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 23, 70 (2014). https://doi.org/10.7844/kirr.2014.23.1.70
- S. B. Kwak, M. A. Choi, and S. J. Lee, "Mechanical Properties of Composites of HDPE and Recycled Tire Crumb", Elastomer, 36, 22 (2001).
- S. H. Lee, M. Balasubramanian, and J. K. Kim, "Dynamic Reaction inside Co-Rotating Twin Screw Extruder. II. Waste Ground Rubber Tire Powder/Polypropylene Blends", J. of Appl. Polym. Sci., 106, 3209 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.26490
- J. Y. An, J. M. Park, D. S. Bang, B. S. Kim, and M. H. Oh, "Characterization of Thermo-Plastic Vulcanized (TPV) Composite Prepared by the Waste Tire and Plastic Powder", J. of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 23, 30 (2014).
- Y. K. Hong, "Mechanical Properties of Plastic Waste/Ground Rubber Tire Composite", Elastomer, 39, 294 (2004).
- A. R. Jalivand, I. Ghasmei, M. Karrabi, and H. Azizi, "A Study of EPDM Devulcanization in a Co-rotating Twin-Screw Extruder", Iran. Polym. J., 16, 327 (2007).
- J. Y. An, J. M. Park, D. S. Bang, B. S. Kim, and M. H. Oh, "Chemical Devulcanization for the Recycling of Rubber Powder of Waste Tires and Mechanical Properties", J. of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 24, 59 (2015). https://doi.org/10.7844/kirr.2015.24.3.59
- J. H. Moon, and Y. S. Kim, "Devulcanization of Vulcanized EPDM Rubber by a Chemical Method", Elastomer, 35, 288 (2000).
- D. H. Kim, S. G. Kim, M. J. Lee, J. M. Park, M. H. Oh, B. S. Kim, J. K. Kim, and D. S. Bang, "Effects of Ultrasonic Treatment and Particle Size on Mechanical Properties of Waste Polypropylene/WGRT Composites", J. of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 24, 36 (2015). https://doi.org/10.7844/kirr.2015.24.2.36
- S. H. Park, M. J. Lee, D. H. Kim, J. Y. Lee, S. A. Yang, D. S. Bang, and K. H. Jhee, "The Desulfurization Mechanism of Waste Tire Rubber by Acidithiobacillus Species", Polymer(Korea), 39, 683 (2015).
- M. Laszlo, B. Tamas, and C. Tibor, "EB-promoted Recycling of Waste Tire Rubber with Polyolefins", Radiat. Phys. Chem., 81, 1357 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2011.11.058
- K. Naskar, and J. W. M. Noordermeer, "Dynamically Vulcanized PP/EPDM Blends: Effects of Different Types of Peroxides on the Properties", Elastomer, 38, 167 (2003).
- D. H. Kim, S. G. Kim, M. J. Lee, H. Y, Lee, S. W. Lee, S. H. Lee, M. H. Oh, and D. S. Bang, "Effects of a Crosslinking Agent and a Compatibilizer on the Mechanical and Rheological Properties of Waste PP and Waste Ground Rubber Tire Composites", Elast. Compos., 50, 24 (2015). https://doi.org/10.7473/EC.2015.50.1.024
- J. S. Choi, and C. C. Park, "Mechanical Properties of Polyethylene/Polypropylene/Waste Tire Rubber Powder Composites", Elast. Compos., 46, 318 (2011).
- A. Thitithammawong, C. Nakason, K. Sahakaro, and J. Noordermeer, "Effect of Different Types of Peroxide on Rheological, Mechanical, and Morphological Properties of Thermoplastic Vulcanizates Based on Natural Rubber/Polypropylene Blends", Polym. Test., 26, 537 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2007.02.002
- W. Brostow, T. Datashvili, and K. P. Hackenberg, "Effect of Different Types of Peroxides on Properties of Vulcanized EPDM + PP Blends" Polym. Compos., 31, 1678 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.20958
Supported by : 금오공과대학교