- Volume 51 Issue 1
The isothermal crystallization behaviors of blends of poly(ethylene naphthalate) (PEN) and a thermotropic liquid crystalline polymer (TLCP) were investigated by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) as functions of crystallization temperature and blend composition. Avrami analyses were applied to obtain information on the crystal growth geometry and the factors controlling the rate of crystallization. The crystallization kinetics of the PEN/TLCP blends followed the Avrami equation up to a high degree of crystallization, regardless of crystallization temperature. The calculated Avrami exponents for PEN/TLCP revealed three-dimensional growth of the crystalline region in each blend. The crystallization rate of each blend increased as the crystallization temperature decreased, and decreased as the TLCP content increased. The crystallization of PEN in the blend was affected by the addition of TLCP, which acts as a nucleating agent.
Avrami equation;isothermal crystallization kinetics;nucleating agent;PEN/TLCP blend
- S. W. Lee and M. Cakmak, "Growth habits and kinetics of crystallization of poly(ethylene 2,6-naphthalate) under isothermal and nonisothermal conditions", J. Macromol. Sci. B. Phys., 37, 501 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1080/00222349808220489
- O. C. Jeon, J. K. Choi, and B. W. Jo, "Blends of poly(ethylene 2,6-naphthalate) and a liquid crystalline polyester having ethoxy group in the side chain", J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 13, 229 (2002).
- Y. S. Hu, M. Rogunova, D. A. Schiraldi, A. Hiltner, and E. Baer, "Crystallization kinetics and crystalline morphology of poly(ethylene naphthalate) and poly(ethylene terephthalate-co-bibenzoate)", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 86, 98 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.10924
- S. W. Park. K. W. Lee, and Y. H. Kim, "Synthesis and thermal properties of poly(pentamethylene 2,6-naphthalate)", Textile Sci. Eng., 45, 127 (2008).
- Y. J. Kim, S. I. Han, and S. Hong, "Effect of modified carbon nanotube on the properties of aromatic polyester nanocomposite", Polymer, 49, 3335 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2008.05.024
- M. Fermeglia, P. Cosoli, M. Ferrone, S. Piccarolo, G. Mensitieri, and S. Pricl, "PET/PEN blends of industrial interest as barrier materials, Part I. Many-scale molecular modeling of PET/PEN blends", Polymer, 47, 5979 (2008).
- C. F. Ou, M. S. Chao, and S. L. Huang, "The crystallization behaviors of poly(butylene terephthalate) blended with co-[poly(buthylene terephthalate-p-oxybenzoate)]copolyesters". Eur. Polym. J., 36, 2665 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-3057(00)00047-1
- D. W. Ihm, S. Y. Park, C. G. Chang, Y. S. Kim, and H. K. Lee, "Miscibility of poly(ethylene terephthalate)/poly(ethylene 2,6-naphthalate)blends by transesterification", Polym. Chem., 34, 2841 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0518(199610)34:14<2841::AID-POLA1>3.0.CO;2-U
- J. K. Park, Y. H. Park, D. J. Kim, and S. H. Kim, "Crystallization kinetics of TLCP with polyester melt blends", J. Korean Fiber Soc., 2, 69 (2000).
- J. D. Cho, Y. J. Jang, Y. J. Kim, M. S. Bang, J. K. Choi, and B. W. Jo, "Blends of a thermotropic liquid crystalline polyester and poly(ethylene terephthalate)", J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 11, 620 (2000).
- J. Y. Kim, S. W. Kang, S. H. Kim, and B. C. Kim, "Deformation behavior and nucleation activity of a thermotropic liquid-crystalline polymer in poly(buthyleneterephtalate)-based composite", J. Macromol Res., 13, 19 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03219011
- F. Higasi, T. Mashimo, and I. Takahashi, "Preparation of aromatic polyesters by direct polycondensation with thionyl chloride in pyridine", J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Chem., 24, 97 (1986).
- J. K. Choi, M. S. Bang, and C. Han, "On the composites of Poly(ethylene terephthalate with a liquid crystalline polyester", J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 8, 76 (1997).
- M. S. Bang, "Crystallization behaviors of liquid crystalline polymer/poly(ethylene terephthalate) blends", J. Korean Acad. Ind. Soc., 7, 559 (2006).
- S. M. Hong, H. O. Yoo, and S. S. Hwang, "Structures and physical properties of poly(ethylene 2,6-naphthalate)/liquid crystalline polymer blends", Polym. J., 33, 457 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1295/polymj.33.457
- S. Buchner, D. Wiswe, and H. G. Zachann, "Kinetics of crystallization and melting behaviour of poly(ethylene naphthalene-2,6-dicarboxylate", Polymer, 30, 480 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1016/0032-3861(89)90018-9
- M. Avrami, "Kinetics of phase change. I. General Theory", J. Chem. Phys, 7, 1103 (1939). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1750380
- A. Al-mulla, "Isothermal crystallization kinetics of poly(ethylene terephalate) and poly(methyl methacrylate)blends", Express Polym. Lett., 1, 334 (2007). https://doi.org/10.3144/expresspolymlett.2007.48