- Volume 56 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Assessment of probiotic potential of Lactobacillus reuteri MD5-2 isolated from ceca of Muscovy ducks
- Kamollerd, Chuchat ;
- Surachon, Preeyaporn ;
- Maunglai, Punchompoo ;
- Siripornadulsil, Wilailak ;
- Sukon, Peerapol
- Received : 2015.09.08
- Accepted : 2016.02.01
- Published : 2016.03.31
Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are commonly used as probiotics in poultry. The present study employed in vitro and in vivo methods to select and test LAB isolated from Muscovy duck ceca as potential probiotics. In the in vitro study, 50 LAB were isolated from Muscovy duck ceca and tested for growth inhibition against Salmonella (S.) Enteritidis. Eleven isolates strongly inhibited S. Enteritidis and only 1 isolate (MD5-2) showing the strongest inhibition was selected for identification. This isolate was called as Lactobacillus (L.) reuteri MD5-2. For the in vivo investigation, 90 1-day-old Muscovy ducks were randomly assigned into three groups of 30 animals each (group 1, control; group 2, treated with
Lactobacillus reuteri;Muscovy ducks;Salmonella Enteritidis;lactic acid bacteria;probiotics
- Awad WA, Ghareeb K, Abdel-Raheem S, Bohm J. Effects of dietary inclusion of probiotic and synbiotic on growth performance, organ weights, and intestinal histomorphology of broiler chickens. Poult Sci 2009, 88, 49-56. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00244
- Blajman J, Gaziano C, Zbrun MV, Soto L, Astesana D, Berisvil A, Scharpen AR, Signorini M, Frizzo L. In vitro and in vivo screening of native lactic acid bacteria toward their selection as a probiotic in broiler chickens. Res Vet Sci 2015, 101, 50-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2015.05.017
- AlFaleh K, Anabrees J. Probiotics for prevention of necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014, 4, CD005496.
- Awad W, Ghareeb K, Bohm J. Intestinal structure and function of broiler chickens on diets supplemented with a synbiotic containing Enterococcus faecium and oligosaccharides. Int J Mol Sci 2008, 9, 2205-2216. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms9112205
- Castanon JIR. History of the use of antibiotic as growth promoters in European poultry feeds. Poult Sci 2007, 86, 2466-2471. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00249
- Chai SJ, White PL, Lathrop SL, Solghan SM, Medus C, McGlinchey BM, Tobin-D'Angelo M, Marcus R, Mahon BE. Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis: increasing incidence of domestically acquired infections. Clin Infect Dis 2012, 54 (Suppl 5), S488-497. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cis231
- Choi HJ, Kim JY, Shin MS, Lee SM, Lee WK. Immunoenhancing effects of Lactobacillus salivarius JWS 58 and Lactobacillus plantarum JWS 1354 isolated from duck. Korean J Vet Res 2011, 51, 281-288.
- Drago L, Gismondo MR, Lombardi A, de Haen C, Gozzini L. Inhibition of in vitro growth of enteropathogens by new Lactobacillus isolates of human intestinal origin. FEMS Microbiol Lett 1997, 153, 455-463. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1997.tb12610.x
- Ganzle MG, Holtzel A, Walter J, Jung G, Hammes WP. Characterization of reutericyclin produced by Lactobacillus reuteri LTH2584. Appl Environ Microbiol 2000, 66, 4325-4333. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.66.10.4325-4333.2000
- Goldstein EJC, Tyrrell KL, Citron DM. Lactobacillus species: taxonomic complexity and controversial susceptibilities. Clin Infect Dis 2015, 60 (Suppl 2), S98-107. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ072
- Goodarzi Boroojeni F, Vahjen W, Mader A, Knorr F, Ruhnke I, Rohe I, Hafeez A, Villodre C, Manner K, Zentek J. The effects of different thermal treatments and organic acid levels in feed on microbial composition and activity in gastrointestinal tract of broilers. Poult Sci 2014, 93, 1440-1452. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03763
- Gueimonde M, Sanchez B, de los Reyes-Gavilan CG, Margolles A. Antibiotic resistance in probiotic bacteria. Front Microbiol 2013, 4, 202.
- Hanning I, Clement A, Owens C, Park SH, Pendleton S, Scott EE, Almeida G, Gonzalez Gil F, Ricke SC. Assessment of production performance in 2 breeds of broilers fed prebiotics as feed additives. Poult Sci 2012, 91, 3295-3299. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2012-02557
- Hou C, Zeng X, Yang F, Liu H, Qiao S. Study and use of the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri in pigs: a review. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 2015, 6, 14. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-015-0014-3
- Jozefiak D, Kieronczyk B, Ju kiewicz J, Zdunczyk Z, Rawski M, Dlugosz J, Sip A, Hojberg O. Dietary nisin modulates the gastrointestinal microbial ecology and enhances growth performance of the broiler chickens. PLoS One 2013, 8, e85347. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0085347
- Juarez Tomas MS, De Gregorio PR, Leccese Terraf MC, Nader-Macias MEF. Encapsulation and subsequent freeze-drying of Lactobacillus reuteri CRL 1324 for its potential inclusion in vaginal probiotic formulations. Eur J Pharm Sci 2015, 79, 87-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejps.2015.08.010
- Khochamit N, Siripornadulsil S, Sukon P, Siripornadulsil W. Antibacterial activity and genotypic-phenotypic characteristics of bacteriocin-producing Bacillus subtilis KKU213: potential as a probiotic strain. Microbiol Res 2015, 170, 36-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micres.2014.09.004
- Kimprasit T, Sukontasing S, Amavisit P. In vitro selection of potential lactic acid bacteria isolated from ducks and geese in Thailand. Kasetsart J Nat Sci 2013, 47, 261-270.
- Kimura AC, Reddy V, Marcus R, Cieslak PR, Mohle-Boetani JC, Kassenborg HD, Segler SD, Hardnett FP, Barrett T, Swerdlow DL; Emerging Infections Program FoodNet Working Group. Chicken consumption is a newly identified risk factor for sporadic Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis infections in the United States: a case-control study in FoodNet sites. Clin Infect Dis 2004, 15 (Suppl 3), S244-252.
- Laukova A, Kandricakova A, Scerbova J. Use of bacteriocin-producing, probiotic strain Enterococcus faecium AL41 to control intestinal microbiota in farm ostriches. Lett Appl Microbiol 2015, 60, 531-535. https://doi.org/10.1111/lam.12409
- Menconi A, Kuttappan VA, Hernandez-Velasco X, Urbano T, Matte F, Layton S, Kallapura G, Latorre J, Morales BE, Prado O, Vicente JL, Barton J, Andreatti Filho RL, Lovato M, Hargis BM, Tellez G. Evaluation of a commercially available organic acid product on body weight loss, carcass yield, and meat quality during preslaughter feed withdrawal in broiler chickens: a poultry welfare and economic perspective. Poult Sci 2014, 93, 448-455. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03444
- Messaoudi S, Manai M, Kergourlay G, Prevost H, Connil N, Chobert JM, Dousset X. Lactobacillus salivarius: bacteriocin and probiotic activity. Food Microbiol 2013, 36, 296-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2013.05.010
- Millet S, Maertens L. The European ban on antibiotic growth promoters in animal feed: from challenges to opportunities. Vet J 2011, 187, 143-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2010.05.001
- Mooyottu S, Flock G, Kollanoor-Johny A, Upadhyaya I, Jayarao B, Venkitanarayanan K. Characterization of a multidrug resistant C. difficile meat isolate. Int J Food Microbiol 2015, 192, 111-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2014.10.002
- Nguyen AT, Nguyen DV, Tran MT, Nguyen LT, Nguyen AH, Phan TN. Isolation and characterization of Bacillus subtilis CH16 strain from chicken gastrointestinal tracts for use as a feed supplement to promote weight gain in broilers. Lett Appl Microbiol 2015, 60, 580-588. https://doi.org/10.1111/lam.12411
- Penha Filho RAC, Diaz SJA, Fernando FS, Chang YF, Andreatti Filho RL, Berchieri Junior A. Immunomodulatory activity and control of Salmonella Enteritidis colonization in the intestinal tract of chickens by Lactobacillus based probiotic. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2015, 167, 64-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2015.06.006
- Prince T, McBain AJ, O'Neill CA. Lactobacillus reuteri protects epidermal keratinocytes from Staphylococcus aureus-induced cell death by competitive exclusion. Appl Environ Microbiol 2012, 78, 5119-5126. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00595-12
- Saitou N, Nei M. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 1987, 4, 406-425.
- Sanders ME. Probiotics: definition, sources, selection, and uses. Clin Infect Dis 2008, 46 (Suppl 2), S58-61. https://doi.org/10.1086/523341
- Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson MA, Roy SL, Jones JL, Griffin PM. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States-major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis 2011, 17, 7-15. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1701.P11101
- Schaefer L, Auchtung TA, Hermans KE, Whitehead D, Borhan B, Britton RA. The antimicrobial compound reuterin (3-hydroxypropionaldehyde) induces oxidative stress via interaction with thiol groups. Microbiology 2010, 156, 1589-1599. https://doi.org/10.1099/mic.0.035642-0
- Sumarsih S, Sulistiyanto B, Sutrisno CI, Rahayu ES. Characteristic of Lactobacillus isolated from Pengging duck's intestines as probiotics. Int J Poult Sci 2014, 13, 47-51. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2014.47.51
- Surachon P, Sukon P, Chaveerach P, Waewdee P, Soikum C. Screening of lactic acid bacteria isolated from chicken ceca for in vitro growth inhibition of Salmonella enteritica serovar enteritidis. J Anim Vet Adv 2011, 10, 939-944. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2011.939.944
- Waewdee P, Sukon P, Chaveerach P, Surachon P, Soikum C. Effect of a single dose of Lactobacillus salivarius on prevention of Salmonella enteritidis infection in young broilers. J Anim Vet Adv 2012, 11, 955-961. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2012.955.961
- Wang L, Fang M, Hu Y, Yang Y, Yang M, Chen Y. Characterization of the most abundant Lactobacillus species in chicken gastrointestinal tract and potential use as probiotics for genetic engineering. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 2014, 46, 612-619. https://doi.org/10.1093/abbs/gmu037
- Weese JS, Reid-Smith RJ, Avery BP, Rousseau J. Detection and characterization of Clostridium difficile in retail chicken. Lett Appl Microbiol 2010, 50, 362-365. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2010.02802.x
- Yamazaki M, Ohtsu H, Yakabe Y, Kishima M, Abe H. In vitro screening of lactobacilli isolated from chicken excreta to control Salmonella Enteritidis and Typhimurium. Br Poult Sci 2012, 53, 183-189. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2012.678814
- Yang Y, Galle S, Le MHA, Zijlstra RT, Ganzle MG. Feed fermentation with Reuteran- and Levan-producing Lactobacillus reuteri reduces colonization of weanling pigs by enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol 2015, 81, 5743-5752. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01525-15
- Yang Y, Zhao X, Le MHA, Zijlstra RT, Ganzle MG. Reutericyclin producing Lactobacillus reuteri modulates development of fecal microbiota in weanling pigs. Front Microbiol 2015, 6, 762.
Supported by : Khon Kaen University