- Volume 56 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Cutaneous asthenia (Ehlers-Danlos syndrome) in a Korean short-haired cat
- Seo, Sang-Hyuk (VIP Animal Medical Center) ;
- Choi, Miru (Section of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Hyun, Changbaig (Section of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2016.01.29
- Accepted : 2016.03.08
- Published : 2016.03.31
A 1-year-old Korean domestic short-haired cat presented with skin hyperextensibility and a severely macerated wound on the skin of the dorsal part of the neck. Diagnostic studies including histopathology and skin extensibility index revealed congenital cutaneous asthenia (Ehlers-Danlos syndrome). In this cat, the skin wounds and defects were successfully managed with standard wound management and cosmetic surgery. Although skin hyperextensibility is persistent, the cat has lived well without other complications to date. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of cutaneous asthenia in a cat in Korea.
- Counts DF, Byers PH, Holbrook KA, Hegreberg GA. Dermatosparaxis in a Himalayan cat: I. Biochemical studies of dermal collagen. J Invest Dermatol 1980, 74, 96-99. https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12519991
- Hansen N, Foster SF, Burrows AK, Mackie J, Malik R. Cutaneous asthenia (Ehlers-Danlos-like syndrome) of Burmese cats. J Feline Med Surg 2015, 17, 954-963. https://doi.org/10.1177/1098612X15610683
- Hnilica KA. Small Animal Dermatology: A Color Atlas and Therapeutic Guide. 3rd ed. pp. 340-341, Elsevier/Saunders, Amsterdam, 2011.
- Malfait F, Wenstrup RJ, De Paepe A. Clinical and genetic aspects of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, classic type. Genet Med 2010, 12, 597-605. https://doi.org/10.1097/GIM.0b013e3181eed412
- Paciello O, Lamagna F, Lamagna B, Papparella S. Ehlers-Danlos-like syndrome in 2 dogs: clinical, histologic and ultrastructural findings. Vet Clin Pathol 2003, 32, 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-165X.2003.tb00306.x
- Patterson DF, Minor RR. Hereditary fragility and hyperextensibility of the skin of cats. A defect in collagen fibrillogenesis. Lab Invest 1977, 37, 170-179.
- Proske S, Hartschuh W, Enk A, Hausser I. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome - 20 years experience with diagnosis and classification. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2006, 4, 308-318. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1610-0387.2006.05958.x
- Scott DW, Miller WH, Griffin CE. Muller and Kirk's Small Animal Dermatology. 6th ed. pp. 35-36, 979-984, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, 2001.
- Sequeira JL, Rocha NS, Bandarra EP, Figueiredo LMA, Eugenio FR. Collagen dysplasia (cutaneous asthenia) in a cat. Vet Pathol 1999, 36, 603-606. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.36-6-603
- Suregaonkar SN, Kotikalapudi R, Patel RK, Sunkara PSS. Screening of cattle breeds for 17bp deletion in a gene causing Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Type VII (dermatosparaxia). Int J Vet Sci 2013, 2, 96-98.
- Szczepanik M, Golynski M, Wilkolek P, SPopiel J, CEmiech A, Pomorska D, Nowakowski H. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (cutaneous asthenia) - a report of three cases in cats. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2006, 50, 609-612.