- Volume 18 Issue 1
Importance of FM has rapidly increased because of its growing business. However, due to lack of clarity and identity of FM in professional areas, standardization of FM became to be imperative in such a rapidly changing global business environment. Facility services are defined as the provision of support the primary activities of an organization, delivered by an internal or external provider. Majority of FM activities are services related to 'space and infrastructure' and 'people and organization' (CEN, 2011). The purpose of this study is to investigate definitions and characteristics of FM from both globally and domestic environment, by comparison with international or national standards, to identify quality management in FM and service characteristics of FM, to investigate the differences in service level elaboration in FM, and to suggest standard issues of quality management in FM service quality. This study examines contents of the European Standards in FM, Part 3 'Guidance on quality in Facility Management, especially for the process of QM standardized by CEN (2011) and explores undefined issues such as service level, measurement metrics according to service characteristics of FM. The European FM Standard guides the common process of QM in terms of requirements specification, service level elaboration, measurement metrics development although it does not specifically address various service levels, specific performance metrics and indicators.
Facility Management;Standards;Quality Management;Service Quality;Service Level
- Anker Jensen, P., van der Voordt, T., Coenen, C., von Felten, D., Lindholm, A. L., Balslev Nielsen, S., & Pfenninger, M. (2012) "In search for the added value of FM: what we know and what we need to learn." Facilities, 30(5/6): 199-217. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632771211208486
- Anker Jensen, P., JM van der Voordt, T., Coenen, C., & Sarasoja, A. L. (2014) "Reflecting on future research concerning the added value of FM." Facilities, 32(13/14): 856-870. https://doi.org/10.1108/F-09-2012-0070
- Armand V. Feigenbaum (2002) "Total Quality Management." John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- BIFM, retrieved from http://www.bifm.org.uk 2015-12-15
- BOMA, retrieved from http://www.boma.org 2015-12-15
- Bon, R., & Pietroforte, R. (1993) "New construction versus maintenance and repair construction technology in the US since World War II." Construction Management and Economics, 11(2): 151-162. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446199300000008
- Brackertz, N. (2006) "Relating physical and service performance in local government community facilities." Facilities, 24(7/8): 280-291. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632770610666134
- Coenen, C., & von Felten, D. (2014) "A service-oriented perspective of facility management." Facilities, 32(9/10): 554-564. https://doi.org/10.1108/F-09-2012-0068
- Ding, G. K. (2008) "Sustainable construction - The role of environmental assessment tools." Journal of environmental management, 86(3): 451-464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2006.12.025
- Drion, B., Melissen, F. & Wood, R. (2012) "Facilities management: lost, or regained?" Facilities, 30(5/6): 254-261. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632771211208512
- Ebinger, M. & Madritsch, T. (2012) "A classification framework for facilities and real estate management: The Built Environment Management Model (BEM2)." Facilities, 30(5/6): 185-198. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632771211208477
- EN 15221-1: 2011 Facility Management - Part 1: Terms and definitions.
- EN 15221-2: 2011 Facility Management - Part 2: Guidance on how to prepare Facility Management agreements.
- EN 15221-3: 2011 Facility Management - Part 3: Guidance on quality in Facility Management.
- Greenerv K. (2006) "MSC report: Comparisons of FM service delivery and performance under UK PFI and non-PFI health schemes." MSC facilities and environment management, University of London.
- Grimshaw, B. (2007). "'History is bunk': considerations on the future of FM." Facilities, 25(11/12), 411-417. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632770710822526
- Heimburger, M. (2009) "Framework o strategic, tactical and operational customer relationship management in facility service business." Proceedings of QUIS 11- Services Conference, 114-119.
- Heimburger, M., & Dietrich, P. (2012) "Identifying the basis of collaboration performance in facility service business." Facilities, 30(11/12): 504-516. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632771211252333
- Howard, D. L. (2002). "Management speak in facilities management." Critical Quarterly, 44(4), 25-31.
- Hung, Y. H., Huang, M. L. & Chen, K. S. (2003) "Service quality evaluation by service quality performance matrix." Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, Vol.14: 79-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360309706
- IFMA, retrieved from http://www.ifma.org 2015-12-15
- ISO, retrieved from http://www.iso.org 2015-12-15
- ISO/DIS 18480-1 "Facilities Management - Part 1: Terms and definitions." Public draft version at 2016-01-26
- ISO/DIS 18480-2 "Facilities Management - Part 2: Guidance on strategic sourcing and the development of agreements." Public draft version at 2016-01-26
- ISO 9000: 2008 Quality management systems - Fundamentals and vocabulary
- ISO 9001: 2008 Quality management systems - Requirements
- Kenneth, H. R. (2005) "Project Quality Management: Why, What and How." Fort Lauderdale, Florida: J. Ross Publishing. p. 41. ISBN 1-932159-48-7
- Lagrosen, S., & Lagrosen, Y. (2003) "Management of service quality-differences in values, practices and outcomes." Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 13(5): 370-381. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520310495840
- Lambert, D.M. & Sharma, A. (1990) "A customer-based competitive analysis for logistics decisions." International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol. 20: p 23.
- Lee, S. Y., Jang, Y. H., Jun,K. & Lee, M. (2015) "Standard Issues in Quality in Facility Management - Based on Guidance on Quality in FM." Proceedings of 2015 Fall Conference of the Society for Standards and Standardization, Poster Session (2); p 82.
- Olanrele, O. O., & Thontteh, E. O. (2014) "FM Service Delivery and Quality Service Measurement in Public High Rise Residential Buildings in Nigeria: The Use of SERVQUAL and Satisfaction Index." Journal of Management and Sustainability, 4(3): p145.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A. & L. L. Berry (1985) "A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research." Journal of Marketing, Vol. 49: 41-50.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A. & L. L. Berry (1991) "Understanding customer expectation of service." Sloan Management Review, 39-48.
- Pratt, K. (2003) "Introducing a service level culture." Facilities, 21: 253-259. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632770310795576
- Quality Management, retrieved from http://quality-help.org/info/quality 2015-12-15
- Shaw, D., & Haynes, B. (2004) "An evaluation of customer perception of FM service delivery." Facilities, 22(7/8): 170-177. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632770410547534
- Sillanpaa, E., & Junnonen, J. M. (2012) "Factors affecting service innovations in FM service sector." Facilities, 30(11/12): 517-530. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632771211252342
- Steenhuizen, D., Flores-Colen, I., Reitsma, A. G., & Branco Lo, P. (2014) "The road to facility management." Facilities, 32(1/2): 46-57. https://doi.org/10.1108/F-09-2012-0072
Supported by : Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology (KEIT)