- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Hip Squeak Using Finite Element Modeling with a Friction Curve
마찰곡선을 반영한 인공 고관절 마찰소음 유한요소 해석연구
- Received : 2015.07.23
- Accepted : 2015.11.17
- Published : 2016.01.01
This study investigated the dynamic instability of a ceramic-on-ceramic artificial hip joint system through complex eigenvalue analysis. We examined the mode-coupling mechanism through eigenvalue sensitivity analysis with the variation of system parameters. In addition, we constructed a finite element model including the negative slope of friction curve for investigating the negative-slope mechanism in the hip squeak problem. The numerical results show that the torsion-dominant mode becomes unstable due to the presence of the negative slope while the axial load is the important factor influencing the negative-slope type instability.
Hip Squeak;Hip Joint;Mode-Coupling;Negative Slope
- Higuchi, F., Shiba, N., Inoue, A. and Wakebe, I., 1995, "Fracture of an Alumina Ceramic Head in Total Hip Arthroplasty," The Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol. 10 No. 6, pp. 851-854. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-5403(05)80086-5
- Jarrett, C.A., Ranawat, A.S., Bruzzone, M., Blum, Y.C., Rodriguez, J.A. and Ranawat, C.S., 2009, "The Squeaking Hip: A Phenomenon of Ceramic-on-Ceramic Total Hip Arthroplasty," The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, Am. 91, pp. 1344-1349. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.00970
- Kim, D., Ki, S., Park, K., Kim, Y. and Chung, Y., 2008, "Total Hip Arthroplasty Using a Ceramic on Ceramic Bearing Surfaces," Journal of Korean Orthopaedic Association, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 495-500. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2008.43.4.495
- Askari, E., Flores, P., Dabirrahmani, D. and Appleyard, R., 2014, "Nonlinear Vibration and Dynamics of Ceramic on Ceramic Artificial Hip Joints: A Spatial Multibody Midelling," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 76, No. 2, pp. 1365-1377 . https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-013-1215-y
- Weisse, B., Zahner, M., Weber, W. and Rieger, W., 2003, "Improvement of the Reliability of Ceramic Hip Joint Implants," Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 36, No. 11, pp. 1633-1639. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9290(03)00186-6
- Fan, N. and Chen, G.X., 2012, "Numerical Study of Squeaking Suppresses for Ceramic-on-Ceramic Hip Endoprosthesis," Tribology international, Vol. 48, pp. 172-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2011.11.023
- Fan, N., Chen, G.X. and Qian, L.M., 2011, "Analysis of Squeaking on Ceramic Hip Endoprosthesis Using the Complex Eigenvalue Method," Wear, Vol. 271, pp. 2305-2312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2010.12.024
- Nam, J. and Kang, J., 2013, "Squeak Noise of Ceramic-on-Ceramic Hip Joint Using FEM," Transaction of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 12, pp. 1090-1095. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2013.23.12.1090
- Kang, J., 2011, "Theoretical Model of Ball Joint Squeak," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 330, pp. 5490-5499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2011.06.018
- ISO 7206-10, 2003, Implants for Surgery - Partial and Total Hip Joint Prostheses - Part 10 : Determination of Resistance to Static Load of Modular Femoral Heads.
- Abraham, C.L., Maas, S.A., Weiss, J.A., Ellis, B.J., Peters, C.L. and Anderson, A.E., 2013, "A New Discrete Element Analysis Method for Predicting Hip Joint Contact Stresses," Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 46, No.6, pp. 1121-1127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.01.012
- Spikes, H.A. and Olver, A.V., 2003, "Basics of Mixed Lubrication," Lubrication Science, Vol. 16, Issue 1, pp. 1-28 https://doi.org/10.1002/ls.3010160102
- Kang, J. and Krousgrill, C.M., 2010, "The Onset of Friction-Induced Vibration and Spragging," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 329, No. 17, pp. 3547-3549.
- Nam, J. and Kang, J., 2012, "Unstable Brake Pad Mode due to Friction-Velocity Slope," The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, Vol. 22, No. 12 pp. 1206-1212.
- Nam, J. and Kang, J., 2013, "Characteristics of Friction Noise with Respect to Friction Curve," Transaction of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 23 No. 5, pp. 423-430. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2013.23.5.423
- ISO 7206-1, 2012, Implants for Surgery - Partial and Total Hip Joint Prostheses - Part 1 : Classification and Designation of Dimensions.
- Jin, Z.M., 2006, "Theoretical Studies of Elastohydro-Dynamic Lubrication of Artificial Hip Joints," Journal of Engineering Tribology, Vol. 220, No. 8, pp. 719-727.
- Sariali, E., Stewart, T., Jin, Z. and Fisher, J., 2010, "In Vitro Investigation of Friction Under Edge-Loading Conditions for Ceramic-on-Ceramic Total Hip Prosthesis," Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Vol. 28, Issue. 8, pp. 979-986.
- Kang, J., 2014, "Squeal Analysis of Disc Brake Using Analytical-FE Squeal Model," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial, Vol. 15, No. 11, pp. 6406-6411.
- Nack, W.V. and Joshi, A.M., 1995, "Friction Induced Vibration: Brake Moan," SAE Technical Paper #951095.
Supported by : 한국연구재단