- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Finite Element Analysis of a Customized Eyeglass Frame Fabricated by 3D Printing
3 차원 프린팅으로 제작된 개인맞춤형 안경테의 유한요소해석
Lee, Ji-Eun;Im, Young-Eun;Park, Keun
- Received : 2015.08.19
- Accepted : 2015.11.16
- Published : 2016.01.01
In recent years, 3D printing has received increasing attention due to releases of low-cost 3D printers based on open-source platform. 3D printing is expected to reduce the barrier to entry in the traditional manufacturing processes by increasing flexibility and creating an advantage to manufacture customized products at low costs. In this study, a unique eyeglass frame was designed to have a snake shape, which has an asymmetric geometry unlike traditional frames. The eyeglass frame was designed in a customized manner by reflecting dimensional characteristics of a customer's face. Finite element analysis was performed to investigate the structural safety of the 3D printed frames during the assembly process. The analysis also considered the effect of anisotropic material properties as determined by tensile tests. The eyeglass frame was then printed using the customized sizes and the best building process. The eyeglass frame was successfully assembled with lenses and without structural failure during its assembly procedure.
3D Printing;Customized Product;Finite Element Analysis;Orthotropic Anisotropy
- Ahn, D. G. and Yang, D. Y., 2005, "Principle of Rapid Prototyping and Its Trends," J. KSPE, Vol. 22, No. 10, pp. 7-16.
- Campbell, I., Bourell, D. and Gibson, I., 2012, "Additive Manufacturing: Rapid Prototyping Comes of Age," Rapid Prototyping J., Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 255-258. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552541211231563
- Park, S. H., Park, J. H., Lee, H. J. and Lee, N. K., 2014, "Current Status of Biomedical Applications Using 3D Printing Technology," J. KSPE, Vol. 31, No. 12, pp. 1067-1076. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2014.31.12.1067
- Park, J. H., Jang, J. and Cho, D. W., 2014, "Three-Dimensional Printed 3D Structure for Tissue Engineering," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 38, No. 10, pp. 817-829.
- Vatani, M., Lu, Y., Lee, K. S., Kim, H. C. and Choi, J. W., 2013, "Direct-Write Stretchable Sensors Using Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube/Polymer Matrix," J. Electro. Packag., Vol. 135, No. 1, 011009. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4023293
- Oh, S. T., Jang, S. H., Lee, I. H., Kim, H. C. and Cho, H. Y., 2014, "3-Dimensional Circuit Device Fabrication for Improved Design Freedom Based on the Additive Manufacturing," J. KSPE, Vol. 31, No. 12, pp. 1077-1083. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2014.31.12.1077
- Ahn, D. G., 2011, "Applications of Laser Assisted Metal Rapid Tooling Process to Manufacture of Molding & Forming Tools-State of the Art," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 925-938. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-011-0125-5
- Kim, J. H. and Jung, E. C., 2015, "Modeling Process Development for Customized Woman Midsole Design Based-on 3d Printing Technology," J. Kor. Soc. Design Forum, Vol. 46, pp. 267-277.
- Pilipovic, A., Raos, P. and Sercer, M., 2009, "Experi-Mental Analysis of Properties of Materials for Rapid Prototyping," Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 40, pp. 105-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-007-1310-7
- Ahn, S. H., Montero, M., Odell, D., Roundy, S. and Wright, P. K., 2002, "Anisotropic Material Properties of Fused Deposition Modeling ABS," Rapid Prototyping J., Vol. 8, No. 4, 248-257. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540210441166
- Caulfield, B., McHugh, P. E. and Lohfeld, S., 2007, "Dependence of Mechanical Properties of Polyamide Components on Build Parameters in the SLS Process," J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 182, No. 1, pp. 477-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.09.007
- Quintana, R., Choi, J. W., Puebla, K. and Wicker, R., 2010, "Effects of Build Orientation on Tensile Strength for Stereolithography-Manufactured ASTM D-638 Type I Specimens," Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 46, No. 1-4, pp. 201-215. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2066-z
- Park, K., Kim, Y. S. and Park, D. Y., 2008, "Investigation into Directional Properties of Rapid Prototypes and Its Application to FE Analysis Considering Anisotropy," J of KSPE, Vol. 25, No. 11, pp.126-133.
- Lee, J. E., Lim, Y. E., Kim, S. Y., Yu, H. R., Jin, M. H., Kong, W. J., Bae, H. Y. and Park, K., 2014, "Development of Personalized Glasses Using 3D Printing with Evaluation of Assembly Characteristics," Proc. KSME Fall Conf., Gwangju, Korea.
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 한국여성과학기술인지원센터