- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study of Mechanical and Hygroscopic Characteristics of Nanoclay/Epoxy Nanocomposites
나노클레이/에폭시 나노-복합재료의 기계적 및 흡습 특성에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.02.02
- Accepted : 2015.08.12
- Published : 2016.02.01
In this study, the moisture related hygroscopic characteristics and mechanical properties of epoxy-clay nanocomposites were investigated by experiments as a function of the weight fraction of nanoclay. The hygroscopic and mechanical properties including the moisture saturation amount, moisture diffusivity, adhesive strength, and tensile properties were obtained by moisture absorption test and various tensile tests, respectively. Also, the molecular dynamics (MD) simulation was devised to study of hygroscopic characteristics of nanocomposites and the results were compared to experimental results as a function of the nanoclay content. It was demonstrated that the proposed MD simulation technique can be successfully used for the prediction of the effects of the nanoclay on the moisture diffusion characteristics.
- Dodiuk, H., Sharon, G. and Kenig, S., 1990, "Hygrothermal Properties of Adhesively Bonded Joints and Their Correlation with Bulk Adhesive Properties," Journal of Adhesion, Vol. 33, pp. 45-61. https://doi.org/10.1080/00218469008030416
- Edelstein, A. S. and Cammaratra, R. C., 1998, "Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties and Applications," CRC Press, pp. 303-343.
- Emmanuel,, P. G., 1996, "Polymer Layered Silicate Nanocomposites," Advanced Materials, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.19960080104
- Lam, C. K. and Lau, K. T., 2006, "Localized Elastic Modulus Distribution of Nanoclay/Epoxy Composites by Using Nanoindentation," Composite Structures, Vol. 75, pp. 553-558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.04.045
- Crank, J., 1975, "The Mathematics of Diffusion." 2d ed. Oxford, Eng: Clarendon Press.
- Maiti, P., Yamada, K., Okamoto, M., Ueda, K. and Okamoto, K., 2002, "New Polylactide/Layered Silicate Nanocomposites: Role of Organoclays," Chem Mater, Vol. 14, No.11, pp. 4654-4661. https://doi.org/10.1021/cm020391b
- Wu, C. F. and Xu, W. J., 2006, "Atomistic Molecular Modelling of Crosslinked Epoxy Resin," Polymer, Vol. 47, pp. 6004-6009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.06.025
- Frenkel, D. and Smit, B., 2002, "Understanding Molecular Simulation : from Algorithms to Applications," 2nd ed. San Diego: Academic Press.
- Lin, Y. C. and Chen, X., 2005, "Investigation of Moisture Diffusion in Epoxy System: Experiments and Molecular Dynamics Simulations," Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 412, pp. 412-322.
- Yang, Q. Y., and Zhong, C. L., 2005, "Molecular Simulation of Adsorption and Diffusion of Hydrogen in Metal-Organic Frameworks," J Phys Chem B, Vol. 109, pp. 11862-11864. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp051903n
- Wang, K.. Liang, S., Deng, J. N., Yang, H., Zhang, Q., Fu, Q., Dong, X., Wang, D. and Han, C. C., 2006, "The Role of Clay Network on Macromolecular Chain Mobility and Relaxation in Isotactic Polypropylene/Organoclay Nanocomposites," Polymer, Vol. 47, pp. 7131-7144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.07.067
- Tocci, E., Hofmann, D., Paul, D., Russo, N. and Drioli, E., 2001, "A Molecular Simulation Study on Gas Diffusion in a Dense Poly(Ether-Ether-Ketone) Membrane," Polymer, Vol. 42, pp. 521-533. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(00)00102-6
- Sancaktar, E. and Kuznicki, J., 2011, "Nanocomposite Adhesives: Mechanical Behavior with Nanoclay," Int J Adhes Adhes, Vol. 31, pp. 286-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2010.09.006
- Khalili, S. M. R., Tavakolian, M. and Sarabi, A., 2010, "Mechanical Properties of Nanoclay Reinforced Epoxy Adhesive Bonded Joints made with Composite Materials," J Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 24, pp. 1917-1928. https://doi.org/10.1163/016942410X507650
- Effects of heat-treated HNTs on the mechanical properties of GFRP under moisture absorption vol.32, pp.19, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979218400702