- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Lightened Fiber-Reinforced Composite City & Trekking Bicycle Frame
섬유강화복합재료를 사용한 일반용 경량화 자전거 프레임의 최적설계
- Received : 2015.05.26
- Accepted : 2015.12.14
- Published : 2016.02.01
In this paper, optimal designs of bicycle frame were studied for weight reduction of bicycle using carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP), glass-fiber-reinforced plastic (GFRP) and Kevlar-fiber-reinforced plastic (KFRP), respectively. Based on the anisotropic properties of FRP material, stacking angle and thickness optimization were performed under the safety reference of European committee for standardization (CEN) to ensure the stability of bicycle frame. Finally, performances of FRP bicycle frame was evaluated by digital logic method based on the optimized results of weight, strength properties and cost. Then, the optimized bicycle frame composed of each FRPs were evaluated and ranked by total performance values.
Finite Element Analysis;Optimization;Tsai-Wu Failure Criterion;Bicycle Frame;Composite;Digital Logic Method
- Kwon, K. B. and Kim, H. K., 2008, Research of Structure Optimization of Bicycle Frame, Korea Institute of Sport Science.
- Liu, T. J. C. and Wu, H. C., 2010, "Fiber Direction and Stacking Sequence Design for Bicycle Frame made of Carbon/Epoxy Composite Laminate," Material & Design, Vol. 31, Is. 4, pp. 1971-1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.10.036
- Chang, R. R., 2002, "Finite Element Analyses and Experimental Considerations of the Deflection and Failure Behaviour of an Asymmetric Laminate Composite Bicycle Handlebar," Proc Instn Mech Engrs, Vol. 216, pp. 207-218.
- Kostopoulos, V., Markopoulos, Y. P., Giannopoulos, G. and Vlachos, D. E., 2002, "Finite Element Analysis of Impact Damage Response of Composite Motorcycle Safety Helmets," Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol. 33, Is. 2, pp. 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-8368(01)00066-X
- Al-Qureshi, H. A., 2001, "Automobile Leaf Springs from Composite Materials," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 118, Is. 1-3, pp. 58-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00863-9
- Maleque, M. A. and Dyuti, S., 2010, "Materials Selection of a Bicycle Frame Using Cost per Unit Property and Digital Logic Method," International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 95-100.
- Kim, B. J., Kim, H. S. and Lee, D. G., 2006, "Design of Hybrid Steel/Composite Circular Plate Cutting Tool structures," Composites Structures, Vol. 75, Is. 1-4, pp. 250-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.04.028
- Kasavajhala, A. R. M. and Gu, L., 2011, "Fracture Analysis of Kevlar-49/Epoxy and e-Glass/Epoxy Doublers for Reinforcement of Cracked Aluminum Plates," Composites Structures, Vol. 93, Is. 8, pp. 2090-2095. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2011.02.012
- CEN, 2005, "EN 14764:2005 City and Trekking Bicycles - Safety Requirements and Test Methods," CEN.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)