- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study of Structural Stress Technique for Fracture Prediction of an Auto-Mobile Clutch Snap-Ring
클러치 스냅링부 파괴 예측을 위한 구조응력기법 연구
- Received : 2015.09.06
- Accepted : 2015.11.06
- Published : 2016.02.01
The endurance reliability assessment of a highly complex mechanism is generally predicted by the fatigue life based on simple stress analysis. This study discusses various fatigue life assessment techniques for an automobile clutch snap ring. Finite element analyses were conducted to determine the structural stress on the snap ring. Structural stress that is insensitive in regards to the mesh size and type definition is presented in this study. The structural stress definition is consistent with elementary structural mechanics theory and provides an effective measure of a stress state that pertains to fatigue behavior of welded joints in the form of both membrane and bending components. Numerical procedures for both solid models and shell or plate element models are presented to demonstrate the mesh-size insensitivity when extracting the structural stress parameters. Conventional finite element models can be used with the structural stress calculations as a post-processing procedure. The two major implications from this research were: (a) structural stresses pertaining to fatigue behavior can be consistently calculated in a mesh-insensitive manner regardless of the types of finite element models; and (b) by comparing with the clutch snap-ring fatigue test data, we should predict the fatigue fractures of an automobile clutch snap ring using this method.
FE Analysis;Structural Stress;Clutch Snap-Ring
- Fricke, W. and Kahl, A., 2005, "Comparison of Different Structural Stress Approaches for Fatigue Assessment of Welded Ship Structures," Marine Structures 18, pp. 473-488 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2006.02.001
- Kyuba, H. and Dong, P., 2005, "Equilibrium- Equivalent Structural Stress Approach to Fatigue Analysis of a Rectangular Hollow Section Joint," International Journal of Fatigue 27, pp. 85-94 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2004.05.008
- Kang, H. T., Dong, P. and Hong, J. K., 2007, "Fatigue Analysis of Spot Welds Using a Mesh-Insensitive Structural Stress Approach," International Journal of Fatigue 29, pp. 1546-1553 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2006.10.025
- Poutiainen, I., Tanskanen, P. and Marquis, G., 2004, "Finite Element Methods for Structural Hot Spot Stress Determination-a Comparison of Procedures," International Journal of Fatigue 26, pp. 1147-1157 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2004.04.003
- Dong, P., 2001, "A Structural Stress Definition and Numerical Implementation for Fatigue Analysis of Welded Joints," International Journal of Fatigue 23, pp. 865-876 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(01)00055-X
- Battelle Procedure, 2007, "Fatigue Analysis of Floating Offshore Steel Structures."
- Kim, J. H., Kang, S. W., Kim, M. h., Kang, J. K. and Hu, J. H., 2006, "A Study for Fatigue Strength Evaluation of Longi-web Connection using Structural Stress Method," KWS 2006-Autumn, pp. 32-34
- Jang, Y. W., Kang, S. W., Kim, M. H., Kim, H. S. and Baek, Y. M., 2006, "A Study of Fatigue Strength Improvement Evaluation of Weld Toe Grinding Technique Using Structural Stress," KWS 2005-Spring, pp. 259-261.
- Lee, J. O., Lee, Y. S., Lee, H. S., Jun, J. T., Kim, J. H. and Kim, C. G., 2008, "Structural Analysis on the Heavy Duty Diesel Engine and Optimization for Bearing Cap," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 402-410. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.5.402
- ABAQUS Version 6.7, 2008, User's Manual, Dassault Systemes
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 육군사관학교