- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Simulation Study for Selecting Optimum Position of a Superheater in a Waste Heat Recovery System Integrated with a Large Gasoline Engine
대형 가솔린 엔진의 폐열 회수 장치인 슈퍼히터의 최적 위치선정을 위한 시뮬레이션 연구
- Received : 2015.02.09
- Accepted : 2015.12.29
- Published : 2016.02.01
Recently, automotive engineers have paid much attention to waste heat recovery technology as a possible means to improve the thermal efficiency of an automotive engine. A large displacement gasoline engine is generally a V-type engine. It is not cost effective to install two superheaters at each exhaust manifold for the heat recovery purposes. A single superheater could be installed as close to the exhaust manifold as possible for the higher recovery efficiency; however, only half of exhaust gas can be used for heat recovery. On the contrary, the exhaust temperature is decreased for the case where the superheater is installed at a junction of two exhaust tail pipes. With the fact in mind, the optimum position of a single superheater was investigated using simulation models developed from a commercial software package (i.e. AMESim). It was found that installing the superheater near the exhaust manifold could recover 3.8 kW more from the engine exhaust despite utilizing only half of the exhaust mass flow. Based on this result, the optimum layout of an automotive waste heat recovery system was developed and proposed in this paper.
Automotive Engine;Heat Exchanger;Rankine Cycle;Waste Heat Recovery;Two Phase Flow
- Cha, W. S., Choi, K. W., Kim, K. B. and Lee, K. H., 2012, "A Study on the Way to Improve Efficiency of a Waste Heat Recovery System for an Automotive Engine," Trans. Korean Soc. Automotive. Eng. Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 76-81. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2012.20.4.076
- Stobart, R. and Weerasinghe, R., 2006, "Heat Recovery and Bottoming Cycles for SI and CI Engines-A Perspective," Society of Automotive Engineering. 2006-01-0662.
- Endo, T., Kawajiri, S., Kojima, Y., Takahashi, K., Bada, T., Ibaraki, S., Takahashi, T. and Shinohara, M., 2007, "Study on Maximizing Exergy in Automotive Engines," Society of Automotive Engineering. 2007-01-0257.
- Teng, H., Regner, G. and Cowland, C., 2007, "Waste Heat Recovery of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines by Organic Rankine Cycle Part I: Hybrid Energy System of Diesel and Rankine Engines," Society of Automotive Engineering. 2007-01-0537.
- Saadatfar, B., Fakhrai, R. and Fransson, T., 2013, "Waste Heaet Recovery Organic Rankine Cycles in Sustainable Energy Conversion: A State-of-the-Art Review," Journal of MacroTrends in Energy and Sustainability, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 161-188.
- Glavatskaya, Y., Podevin, P., Lemort, V., Shonda O. and Descombes, G., 2012 "Reciprocating Expander for an Exhaust Heat Recovery Rankine Cycle for a Passenger Car Application," Energies, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 1751-1765. https://doi.org/10.3390/en5061751
Supported by : 한국연구재단