- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Verification Study of Lifetime Prediction Models for Pb-Based and Pb-Free Solders Used in Chip Resistor Assemblies Under Thermal Cycling
온도변화 환경에서 칩저항 실장용 유·무연솔더의 수명모델 검증연구
- Han, Changwoon (Robust Components and System Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute)
- 한창운 (전자부품연구원 시스템로버스트연구센터)
- Received : 2015.05.03
- Accepted : 2015.12.26
- Published : 2016.03.01
Recently, life prediction models for Pb-based and Pb-free solders used in chip resistor assemblies under thermal cycling have been introduced. The models suggest that the field lifetimes of Pb-free solders would be better than those of Pb-based solders when used for chip resistors under thermal cycling conditions, while the lifetime of the chip assemblies under accelerated test conditions show a reverse relationship. In this study, the prediction models were verified by applying the model to another research case. Finite element models were built, thermal cycling conditions were applied, and the energy densities were calculated. Finally, life prediction analysis was conducted for the cases where Pb-based and Pb-free solders were used. The prediction results were then compared with the test data of the case. It was verified that the predictions of the developed life cycle models are on the practical scale.
Lifetime Prediction Model;Pb-free Solder;Accelerated Life Test;Chip Resistor
Supported by : 한국산업기술평가관리원
- IEC 60721-3-7, 2002, Classification of Environmental Conditions-Part 3-7: Classification of Groups of Environmental Parameters and Their Severities - Portable and Non-stationary Use, 2nd Ed.
- NCMS, 1997, Lead-free Solder Project Final Report, NCMS, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Suhling, J. C., Gale, H. S., Johnson, R. W., Islam, M. N., Shete, T., Lall, P. and Thompson, J. R., 2004, "Thermal Cycling Reliability of Lead Free Solders for Automotive Applications," Proc. 9th Conf. on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems, pp. 350-357.
- Han, C. and Han, B., 2014, "Board Level Reliability Analysis of Chip Resistor Assemblies under Thermal Cycling: A Comparison Study between SnPb and SnAgCu," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 879-886. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-1154-z
- Steinberg, D. S., 2000, Vibration Analysis for Electronic Equipment, John Wiley & Sons, 3rd Ed.
- Engelmaier, W., 1983, "Fatigue Life of Leadless Chip Carrier Solder Joints during Power Cycling," IEEE Trans. Comp., Hybrids, Manuf. Tech., Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 232-237. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCHMT.1983.1136183
- Darveaux, R., 2000, "Effect of Simulation Methodology on Solder Joint Crack Growth Correlation," Proc. 50th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, pp. 1048-1058.
- Ng, H. S., Tee, T. Y., Goh, K. Y., Luan, J. E., Reinikainen, T., Hussa, E. and Kujala, A., 2005, "Absolute and Relative Fatigue Life Prediction Methodology for Virtual Qualification and Design Enhancement of Lead-free BGA," Proc. 55th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, pp. 1282-1291.
- Lall, P., 2004, "Model for BGA and CSP Reliability in Automotive Underhood Applications," IEEE Trans. Comp., Hybrids, Manuf. Tech., Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 585-593.
- Rodgers, B., Punch, J. and Jarvis, J., 2002, "Finite Element Modeling of a BGA Package Subjected to Thermal and Power Cycling," Proc. 18th Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems, pp. 993-1000.
- Anand, L., 1982, "Constitutive Equations for the Rate-dependent Deformation of Metals at Elevated Temperatures," ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 104, No. 1, pp. 12-17. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3225028
- Rizvi, M. J., Bailey, C. and Lu, H., 2010, "Damage Predictions in a Chip Resistor Solder Joint on Flexible Circuit Board," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 87, No. 10, pp. 1889-1895. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mee.2009.11.023
- Chaillot, A., Grieu, M., Munier, C., Lombaert-Valot, I., Bousquet, S., Chastanet, C. and Maron, D., 2009, "Fatigue Life Prediction Models Developed for Green Electronics in Aeronautical and Military Communication Systems (GEAMCOS)," Proc. 10th. Int. Conf on Thermal, Mechanical and Multiphysics Simulation and Experiments in Micro-Electronics and Micro-Systems, pp. 1-8.
- Mysore, K., Subbarayan, G., Gupta, V. and Zhang, R., 2009, "Constitutive and Aging Behavior of Sn3.0Ag0.5Cu Solder Alloy," IEEE Trans. Electronics Packaging Manufacturing, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 221-232. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEPM.2009.2024119
- Lau, J. H. and Pao, Y.-H., 1997, Solder Joint Reliability of BGA, CSP, Flip Chip, and Fine Pitch SMT Assemblies, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA.
- Kanda, Y. and Kariya, Y., 2012, "Evaluation of Creep Properties for Sn-Ag-Cu Micro Solder Joint by Multi-temperature Stress Relaxation," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 52, No. 7, pp. 1435-1440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2012.02.006