- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Test and Numerical Analysis for Penetration Residual Velocity of Bullet Considering Failure Strain Uncertainty of Composite Plates
복합판재의 파단 변형률 불확실성을 고려한 탄 관통 잔류속도에 대한 시험 및 수치해석
Cha, Myungseok;Lee, Minhyung
- Received : 2015.08.08
- Accepted : 2016.01.14
- Published : 2016.03.01
The ballistic performance data of composite materials is distributed due to material inhomogeneity. In this paper, the uncertainty in residual velocity is obtained experimentally, and a method of predicting it is established numerically for the high-speed impact of a bullet into laminated composites. First, the failure strain distribution was obtained by conducting a tensile test using 10 specimens. Next, a ballistic impact test was carried out for the impact of a fragment-simulating projectile (FSP) bullet with 4ply ([0/90]s) and 8ply ([0/90/0/90]s) glass fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP) plates. Eighteen shots were made at the same impact velocity and the residual velocities were obtained. Finally, simulations were conducted to predict the residual velocities by using the failure strain distributions that were obtained from the tensile test. For this simulation, two impact velocities were chosen at 411.7m/s (4ply) and 592.5m/s (8ply). The simulation results show that the predicted residual velocities are in close agreement with test results. Additionally, the modeling of a composite plate with layered solid elements requires less calculation time than modeling with solid elements.
Composite Material;High Speed Impact;Residual Velocity;Uncertainty
- Yen, C. F., 2002, "Ballistic Impact of Composite Materials," 7th International LS_DYNA Conference Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 449-464.
- Silva, M.A.G., Cismasiu, C. and Chiorean, C. G., 2005, "Numerical Simulation of Ballistic Impact on Composite Laminates," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 31, pp. 289-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2004.01.011
- Ahn, J. H., Kweon J. H. and Choi, H. H., 2009, "High Velocity Impact Analysis of Kevlar29/Phenolic Composite Plate," Composite Research, Vol. 22, pp. 18-23.
- Madhukar C., Thomas G. and Anton M., 2009, "An Assessment of the New LS-DYNA Layered Solid Element: Basic, Patch Simulation and Its Potential for Thick Composite Structure Analysis," 7th European LS-DYNA Conference.
- Jo, J. H., Lee, Y. S. and Jin, H. L., 2012, "Numerical Simulation of Steel/Kevlar Hybrid Composite Helmet Ubjected to Ballistic Impact," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 12, pp. 1569-1575. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.12.1569
- "MIL-STD-662F: Department of Defense Test Method Standard V50 Ballistic Test for Amor," 1997, United States of America Department of Defense.
- LSTC, "LS-DYMA Keyword User's Manual," 2013, Livermore Software Technology Cor- poration, Version R7.
- LSTC, "LS-DYMNA Theory Manual," 2006, Livermore Software Technology Corporation.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소