- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Kinematics of an Intrinsic Continuum Robot with Pneumatic Artificial Muscles
공압인공근육을 가진 내부형 연속체로봇의 기구식
- Kang, Bong Soo (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.)
- 강봉수 (한남대학교 기계공학과부)
- Received : 2015.08.17
- Accepted : 2015.11.27
- Published : 2016.03.01
This study presents the kinematics of an intrinsic continuum robot actuated by pneumatic artificial muscles. The single section of a developed continuum robot consisted of three muscles in parallel. The contraction of each muscle according to applied air pressure produced spatial motions of a distal plate with respect to a base plate. Based on the bending behaviors of artificial muscles, the orientation and position of the end-effector of a continuum robot were formulated using a transformation matrix. The orientation and position was also determined for a single section of the distal plate. A Jacobian matrix relating the contraction rate or the pressure rate of the muscles to the velocity vector of the end-effector was calculated considering the assembled position of actuators between neighboring sections of the robot. Experimental results showed that the motions of the intrinsic continuum robot were accurately estimated by the proposed kinematics.
Continuum Robot;Pneumatic Artificial Muscle;Euler Angle;Jacobian
Supported by : 교육부, 한남대학교
- Robinson, G. and Davies, J. B. C., 1999, "Continuum Robots -a State of the Art-," Proc. IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp 2849-2854.
- http://www.templeallen.com, Temple Allen Industries
- Hannon, M. W. and Walker I. D., 2003, "Kinematics and the Implementation of an Elephant's Trunk Manipulator and Other Continuum Style Robots," J. Robotic Systems, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp 45-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.10070
- Jones, B. A. and Walker, I. D., 2006, "Kinematics for Multisection Continuum Robots," IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 43-55. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2005.861458
- Chen, Gang and Pham, M. T., 2008, "A Semi-autonomous Micro-robotic System for Colonoscopy," Proc. IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp 703-708.
- McMahan W., et al., 2006, "Field Trials and Tesing of the OctArm Continuum Manipulator," Proc. IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp 2336-2341.
- Bailly, Y. and Amirat, Y., 2005, "Modeling and Control of a Hybrid Continuum Active Catheter for Aortic Aneurysm Treatment," Proc. IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 924-929.
- Chirikjian, G. S. and Burdick, J. W., 1994, "A Modal Approach to Hyper-redundant Manipulator Kinematics, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 343-354. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.294209
- Godage, I. S., et al., 2011, "Shape Function-based Kinematics and Dynamics for Variable Length Continuum Robotic Arms, Proc. IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp 452-457.
- Craig, J. J., 2005, "Introduction to Robotics - Mechanics and Control -," Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Kang, C. H., Bae, J. H. and Kang, B. S., 2015, "Development of an Intrinsic Continuum Robot and Attitude Estimation of its End-effector Based on a Kalman filter," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. A, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 361-367. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.4.361
- Tondu, B. and Lopez, P., 2000, "Modeling and Control of Mckibben Artificial Muscle Robot Actuators," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 15-38.
- The Design and Mathematical Model of a Novel Variable Stiffness Extensor-Contractor Pneumatic Artificial Muscle vol.5, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1089/soro.2018.0010