- Volume 40 Issue 3
A numerical simulation has been performed for the penetration of a long-rod penetrator into a metal block (ceramic-tile-inserted 4340-steel plate). The impact velocity is 1.5km/s at a normal incidence angle. The first two validations are conducted for a semi-infinite block measuring the depth of penetration (DOP). The material model of ceramic is the JH-2 (Johnson-Holmquist) model. The predicted DOP values are in close agreement with the experimental data. Then, the primary simulation is performed by varying the position of the confined ceramic tile for three types of thickness of ceramic tile. The residual velocity, residual mass and residual kinetic energy of the long-rod are obtained from the simulation. Based on these predicted values, the trend of the ballistic performance of the protective structure is estimated. In addition, the mass efficiency is calculated in order to determine the performance of the ceramic-tile-inserted metal block. Finally, the optimum protective structure is identified.
DOP;Ballistic Performance;Mass Efficiency;Optimum Protective Structure
Anderson, C. E., Jr. and Morris, B. L., 1992, "The Ballistic Performance of Confined
$Al_2O_3$Ceramic Tiles," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.167-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(92)90395-A
- Lee, C. H., Choi, J. H., Chang, S. N. and Hong, S. I., 1994, "A Study on High Velocity Impact Phenomena by a Long Rod Penetrator," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 573-583.
- Johnson, G. R. and Holmquist, T. J., 1994, "An Improved Computational Constitutive Model for Brittle Materials," High pressure science and technology-1993, Vol. 2, pp. 981-984.
- CeraSurf Wear-Resistant Ceramic Components, www.coorstek.com, 2014.
- Lundberg, P., Westerling, L. and Lundberg, B., 1996, "Influence of Scale on the Penetration of Tungsten Rods into Steel-Backed Alumina Targets," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp.403-416. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(95)00049-G
- Johnson, G. R. and Holmquist, T. J., 1999, "Response of Boron Carbide Subjected to Large Strains, High Strain Rates, and High Pressures," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 85, No. 12, pp. 8060-8073. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.370643
Anderson, C. E., Jr. and Royal-Timmons, S. A., 1997, "Ballistic Performance of Confined 99.5%-
$Al_2O_3$Ceramic Tiles," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 8, pp.703-713. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(97)00006-7
- Woolsey, P., Mariano, S. and Kokidko, D., 1989, "Alternative Test Methodology for Ballistic Performance Ranking of Armor Ceramics," Fifth Annual TACOM Armor Coordinating Conference.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소