- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Photonic-Crystal-Based Thin Film Sensor for Detecting Volatile Organic Compounds
광결정 기반의 휘발성 유기 화합물 검지 박막 센서
- Received : 2015.10.02
- Accepted : 2016.01.22
- Published : 2016.03.01
Early detection of toxic gases, such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), is important for safety and environmental protection. However, the conventional detection methods require long-term measurement times and expensive equipment. In this study, we propose a thin-film-type chemical sensor for VOCs, which consists of self-assembled monosize nanoparticles for 3-D photonic crystal structures and polydimthylsiloxane (PDMS) film. It is operated without any external power source, is truly portable, and has a fast response time. The structure color of the sensor changes when it is exposed to VOCs, because VOCs induce a swelling of the PDMS. Therefore, using this principle of color change, we can create a thin-film sensor for immediate detection of various types of VOCs. The proposed device evidences that a fast response time of just seconds, along with a clear color change, are successfully observed when the sensor is exposed to gas-phase VOCs.
Photonic Crystal;Volatile Organic Compounds;Polydimethylsiloxane(PDMS)
- Bessa, V., Darwiche, K., Teschler, H., Sommerwerck, U., Rabis, T., Baumbach, J. and Freitag, L., "Detection of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Exhaled Breath of Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) by Ion Mobility Spectrometry," International Journal for Ion Mobility Spectrometry, 2011, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 7-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12127-011-0060-2
- Giger, W. and Molnar-Kubica, E., "Tetrachloroethylene in Contaminated Ground and Drinking Waters," Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 1978, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 475-480. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01685829
- Wallace, L.A., Pellizzari, E.D., Hartwell, T.D., Davis, V., Michael, L.C. and Whitmore, R.W., "The Influence of Personal Activities on Exposure to Volatile Organic Compounds," Environmental Research, 1989, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 37-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-9351(89)80047-7
- Feng, L.A., Musto, C.J., Kemling, J.W., Lim, S.H., Zhong, W.X. and Suslick, K.S., "Colorimetric Sensor Array for Determination and Identification of Toxic Industrial Chemicals," Analytical Chemistry, 2010, Vol. 82, No. 22, pp. 9433-9440. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac1020886
- Nath, N. and Chilkoti, A., "Label Free Colorimetric Biosensing Using Nanoparticles," Journal of Fluorescence, 2004, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 377-389. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOFL.0000031819.45448.dc
- Suslick, K.S., "An Optoelectronic Nose: "Seeing" Smells by Means of Colorimetric Sensor Arrays," MRS Bulletin, 2004, Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 720-725. https://doi.org/10.1557/mrs2004.209
- Endo, T., Yanagida, Y. and Hatsuzawa, T., "Colorimetric Detection of Volatile Organic Compounds using a Colloidal Crystal-based Chemical Sensor for Environmental Applications," Sensors and Actuators B-Chemical, 2007, Vol. 125, No. 2, pp. 589-595. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2007.03.003
- Smith, G. S., "Structural Color of Morpho Butterflies," American Journal of Physics, 2009, Vol. 77, No. 11, pp. 1010-1019. https://doi.org/10.1119/1.3192768
- Joannopoulos, J.D., Meade, R.D. and Winn, J.N., Photonic Crystals : Molding the Flow of Light. 1995, Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. ix, p. 137.
- Johnson, S.G. and Joannopoulos, J.D., Photonic Crystals : the Road from Theory to Practice. 2002, Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. p. 156.
- Lee, J.N., Park, C. and Whitesides, G.M., "Solvent Compatibility of Poly(dimethylsiloxane)-based Microfluidic Devices," Analytical Chemistry, 2003, Vol. 75, No. 23, pp. 6544-6554. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac0346712
- Bevan, M.A.J., Proctor, C.J., Bakerrogers, J. and Warren, N.D., "Exposure to Carbon-Monoxide, Respirable Suspended Particulates, and Volatile Organic-Compounds While Commuting by Bicycle," Environmental Science & Technology, 1991, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 788-791. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00016a026
- Hagerman, L.M., Aneja, V.P. and Lonneman, W.A., "Characterization of Non-methane Hydrocarbons in the Rural Southeast United States," Atmospheric Environment, 1997, Vol. 31, No. 23, pp. 4017-4038. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(97)00223-9
- Malaquin, L., Kraus, T., Schmid, H., Delamarche, E. and Wolf, H., "Controlled Particle Placement through Convective and Capillary Assembly," Langmuir, 2007, Vol. 23, No. 23, pp. 11513-11521. https://doi.org/10.1021/la700852c
- Hiltner, P.A. and Krieger, I.M., "Diffraction of Light by Ordered Suspensions," The Journal of Physical Chemistry, 1969, Vol. 73, No. 7, pp. 2386-2389. https://doi.org/10.1021/j100727a049
- Romanov, S., Maka, T., Sotomayor Torres, C., Muller, M. and Zentel, R., Thin Opaline Photonic Crystals, in Photonic Crystals and Light Localization in the 21st Century, C. Soukoulis, Editor. 2001, Springer Netherlands. pp. 253-262.
Grant : 녹내장 치료 및 안압측정이 가능한 스마트 콘텍트렌즈 소재 개발
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 산업통상자원부