- Volume 21 Issue 3
Recently many small and mid-sized hospitals are closing down or experiencing financial difficulties. As a result, in order to provide exceptional service that would increase their competitiveness, they implemented telemedicine service for the prescription of medicine necessary before a colonoscopy. This study is an analysis of how telemedicine service affects patient satisfaction. Through the focus group interview (FGI) of medical service providers, regarding telemedicine service and face-to-face service, it was appraised that telemedicine service was more effective than face-to-face service. Afterward, a second survey aimed at endoscopy patients was conducted in order to find out the value of telemedicine service. First, through the analysis of the three main factors of telemedicine service, conclusions were drawn(safety/reliability, convenience/rapidity, and economics). A follow-up analysis showed that convenience/rapidity had the greatest effect on telemedicine service satisfaction. Next the factors of the quality of medical service were analyzed and 3 main factors were deduced (the superiority of the external and internal environments/appropriateness, superiority of the medical team, telemedicine service). A follow-up analysis found that telemedicine service had the greatest effect on patient satisfaction. This study found that providing exceptional medical service that utilizes telemedicine service would improve patient satisfaction. Therefore, we would be able to form a strategic plan that would strengthen the competitiveness of small and mid-sized hospitals.
Telemedicine Service;Colonoscopy;Medical Service Quality;customer satisfaction;face to face medical service
- W. Lee, W. Jang, "The Effects of Medical Service Quality and Relationship Quality on Customer Loyalty -Small and Medium Hospitals", Korea Research Academy of Distribution and Management Review, 17(1), 36, 2014.
- B. Kim, "A Study of Hospital Choice-Process Satisfaction". Soongsil University_doctoral thesis. 29(6), 120, 2010.
- C. K, A Study on the Effects of Core Factors of Medical Service Quality on Customers' Intention of Reuse, Korean Journal Of Business Administration. 26(9), 107, pp.2227-2251, 2013.
- Korean Hospital Association, "Crisis and response task of Middle Hospitals", 2013, (http://www.khanews.com/news/articleView.html?idxn o=92275)
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning. 2013 (www.msip.go.kr)
- H. W. Cho, "The Present Situation and Legal Problems of U-Health". The Korean Society of Law and Medicine Semiannual, 7(2),140, 2006.
- Hana Institute of Finance. 2008( www.hanaif.re.kr)
- Y. Yoon, "Enhance Issues of the global competitiveness of Telemedicine Industry in Korea". International Commerce and Information Review,13(3), 325-351p, 2011
- S. W. Rhu, " Trends and Directions of Telemedicine /Telehealth in Korea", Dongkuk University, 25, 80-83p, 2006
- A. Mease, "Telemedicine improved diabetic management, Military Medicine", 165(8), 579-584, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/165.8.579
- National Cancer Information Center, "Cancer in Statistics", 2012, (http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/)
- K. H. Baek, Y. H. Jang, "A Legal Study on the Relationship between In-Person and Remote Medical Treatments", Seoul Law Review, 21(3), 2014.
- H. W. Cho, "The Present Situation, Legal Problems and Development Plan of Fusion of Medical Care and IT". Journal of Law and Politics research, 11(4), 1461-1490, 2011.
- M. Lee, "Permission on the Remote Medical Treatment Problems and Political Directions", Report 53, National Assembly Research Service, 2010.
- Korea Ubiquitous-Health Association, "Present Condition on telemedicine between doctor and patient", 2013.
- Ministry Of Health & Welfare, "a explanation on the amendment of Medical law such as submission of a Cabinet meeting (relevant to demonstration project of telemedicine)", Division of Healthcare Policy, 2014.(http://www.mw.go.kr)
- Korean Medical Association, 2014 (http://www.kma.org/)
- J. Yang, T. Song, D. Chang, "Effects of Medical Service Quality on the Customer Satisfaction and Intention of Revisit in Cancer Patients", The Korea Contents Society, 12(12), 269-281p, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.12.269
- M. J. Rho, W. S. Suh, J. Kwon, "Medical Service Factors Associated with Patient Satisfaction: The Difference between Inpatien and Outpatient of A Medium-sized Hospital", Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(2), 332p, 2013
- K. J. Ji, "A Study on Medical Service Quality affecting percieved value, Satisfaction and Intention of Revisit in Middle Hospitals", Korean Journal Of Hospital Management, 2013, 18(4), 18-21p
- Statistics Korea, Statistics on the Aged, 2013. (http://www.kostat.go.kr)
- C. Park, "A Study on the Managerial Factors that Affect the Performance of Hospital Service - The Case of Small and Medium-Sized Hospitals in Cheongju", The Korean Association of Small Business Studies, 26(4), 3-24p, 2004.
- Y. Ho, K. Young, "A Study on the Effects of Medical Care Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction and on the Intention of Revisit", Korea Association of Business Education/Journal of Business Educatio, 18(37-39), 2010.
- H. Lee, J. Lee, "The effect of quality of medical service on medical customer satisfaction and sustainable medical tourism", Korea Academic Society Of Tourism Management, 25(3), 279-296p, 2010.
- K. Moon, "Dimensions of Consumer Ratings of a Hospital Outpatient Service Quality", Koran J. of Preventive Medicine, 33(4), 495-504, 2000.
- P. S. Whitten, "Systematic review of cost effectiveness studies of telemedicine interventions", British Medical Journal, 2002.
- S. Kim, S. Ryu, "Structural Relationships Among Factors to Adoption of Telehealth Service", Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 21(3), 2011.
- S. Joung, J. Park, "Study on Telemedicine system in Medical Law", Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, 17(12), 2012.
- Oliver, Richard L, "A Cognitive Model of the Antecedents and Consequences of Satisfaction Decisions", Journal of Marketing Research, 17(4), 460-469, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150499
- S. Seol, S. Kim "A study on the Relationship among Medical Service Quality, Intention of Re-Use, Word-of-Mouth Effects - In Case of General Hospital and Special Hospital", Korean Journal Of Business Administration, 45, 1485-1512p, 2004.
- Y. Ryu, "The Performance of Gender Impact Assessments through FGI and a Proposal to Establish a Gender Governance", The Women's Studies, 81(2), 147-189, 2011.
- Y. Song, S. oh, E. Kim, E. Na, H. Jung, S. Park, "Media User Patterns of Adolescents in a Multimedia Environment: An Assessment of Gender and Income Differences", Journal of Communication Research, 46(2), 33-65p, 2009. https://doi.org/10.22174/jcr.2009.46.2.33
- S. M. Bae, S. H. Ha, S. C. Park, "A web-based system for analyzing the voices of call center customers in the service industry". Expert Systems with Applications, 28(1), 29-41, 2005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2004.08.008
- Y.Jeon, "Prerequisites for Activation of Telemedicine", Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, 19(8), 2014.
- Y.Jeun, "A Study on the Health Policy Issues of Telemedicine Problem in Korean", Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, 20(11), 2015.