- Volume 16 Issue 1
Computer simulations were conducted to demonstrate the generation of microwave-induced thermoacoustic signal. The simulations began with modelling an object with a biological tissue characteristic and irradiating it with a microwave pulse. The time-varying heating function data at every particular point on the illuminated object were obtained from absorbed electric field data from the simulation result. The thermoacoustic signal received at a point transducer at a particular distance from the object was generated by applying heating function data to the thermoacoustic equation. These simulations can be used as a foundation for understanding how thermoacoustic signal is generated and can be applied as a basis for thermoacoustic imaging simulations and experiments in future research.
Computer Simulation;Heating Function;Microwave-Induced;Thermoacoustic
- Y. Xu and L. V. Wang, "Rhesus monkey brain imaging through intact skull with thermoacoustic tomography," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 542-548, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2006.1610562
- B. Guo, J. Li, H. Zmuda, and M. Sheplak, "Multifrequency microwave-induced thermal acoustic imaging for breast cancer detection," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 2000-2010, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2007.895108
- M. Guardiola, S. Capdevila, J. Romeu, and L. Jofre, "3-D microwave magnitude combined tomography for breast cancer detection using realistic breast models," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 1622- 1625, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2012.2235813
- N. Simonov, S. I. Jeon, S. H. Son, J. M. Lee, and H. J. Kim,"3D microwave breast imaging based on multistatic radar concept system," Journal of the Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 107-114, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.1.107
- R. A. Kruger, K. D. Miller, H. E. Reynolds, W. L. Kiser, D. R. Reinecke, and G. A. Kruger, "Breast cancer in vivo: contrast enhancement with thermoacoustic CT at 434 MHz: feasibility study," Radiology, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 279- 283, Jul. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.216.1.r00jl30279
- R. A. Kruger, K. K. Kopecky, A. M. Aisen, D. R. Reinecke, G. A. Kruger, and W. L. Kiser, "Thermoacoustic CT with radiowaves: a medical imaging paradigm," Radiology, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 275-278, Apr. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.211.1.r99ap05275
- X. Wang, D. R. Bauer, R. Witte, and H. Xin, "Microwaveinduced thermoacoustic imaging model for potential breast cancer detection," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2782-2791, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2012.2210218
- H. Nan and A. Arbabian, "Stepped-frequency continuouswave microwave-induced thermoacoustic imaging," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 104, no. 22, article no. 224104, 2014.
- G. Ku, "Photoacoustic and Thermoacoustic Tomography: System Development for Biomedical Applications," Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Texas A&M University, TX, 2004.
- X. Wang, D. R. Bauer, J. L. Vollin, D. G. Manzi, R. S. Witte, and H. Xin,"Impact of microwave pulses on thermoacoustic imaging applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 1634-1637, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2013.2237743
- V. E. Gusev and A. A. Karabutov, Laser Optoacoustics. New York, NY: American Institute of Physics, 1993.
- G. J. Diebold, T. Sun, and M. I. Khan, "Photoacoustic monopole radiation in one, two, and three dimensions," Physical Review Letters, vol. 67, no. 24, article no. 3384, Dec. 1991.
- J. D. Kraus, Antennas. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- X. Feng, F. Gao, and Y. Zheng, "Magnetically mediated thermoacoustic imaging toward deeper penetration," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 103, no. 8, article no. 083704, 2013.
- A review of microwave-induced thermoacoustic imaging: Excitation source, data acquisition system and biomedical applications vol.10, pp.04, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2016.16.1.1
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion