- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Expert Reviews on Consumer Product Evaluations: A Text Mining Approach
전문가 제품 후기가 소비자 제품 평가에 미치는 영향: 텍스트마이닝 분석을 중심으로
Kang, Taeyoung;Park, Do-Hyung
- Received : 2016.02.04
- Accepted : 2016.02.22
- Published : 2016.03.31
Individuals gather information online to resolve problems in their daily lives and make various decisions about the purchase of products or services. With the revolutionary development of information technology, Web 2.0 has allowed more people to easily generate and use online reviews such that the volume of information is rapidly increasing, and the usefulness and significance of analyzing the unstructured data have also increased. This paper presents an analysis on the lexical features of expert product reviews to determine their influence on consumers' purchasing decisions. The focus was on how unstructured data can be organized and used in diverse contexts through text mining. In addition, diverse lexical features of expert reviews of contents provided by a third-party review site were extracted and defined. Expert reviews are defined as evaluations by people who have expert knowledge about specific products or services in newspapers or magazines; this type of review is also called a critic review. Consumers who purchased products before the widespread use of the Internet were able to access expert reviews through newspapers or magazines; thus, they were not able to access many of them. Recently, however, major media also now provide online services so that people can more easily and affordably access expert reviews compared to the past. The reason why diverse reviews from experts in several fields are important is that there is an information asymmetry where some information is not shared among consumers and sellers. The information asymmetry can be resolved with information provided by third parties with expertise to consumers. Then, consumers can read expert reviews and make purchasing decisions by considering the abundant information on products or services. Therefore, expert reviews play an important role in consumers' purchasing decisions and the performance of companies across diverse industries. If the influence of qualitative data such as reviews or assessment after the purchase of products can be separately identified from the quantitative data resources, such as the actual quality of products or price, it is possible to identify which aspects of product reviews hamper or promote product sales. Previous studies have focused on the characteristics of the experts themselves, such as the expertise and credibility of sources regarding expert reviews; however, these studies did not suggest the influence of the linguistic features of experts' product reviews on consumers' overall evaluation. However, this study focused on experts' recommendations and evaluations to reveal the lexical features of expert reviews and whether such features influence consumers' overall evaluations and purchasing decisions. Real expert product reviews were analyzed based on the suggested methodology, and five lexical features of expert reviews were ultimately determined. Specifically, the "review depth" (i.e., degree of detail of the expert's product analysis), and "lack of assurance" (i.e., degree of confidence that the expert has in the evaluation) have statistically significant effects on consumers' product evaluations. In contrast, the "positive polarity" (i.e., the degree of positivity of an expert's evaluations) has an insignificant effect, while the "negative polarity" (i.e., the degree of negativity of an expert's evaluations) has a significant negative effect on consumers' product evaluations. Finally, the "social orientation" (i.e., the degree of how many social expressions experts include in their reviews) does not have a significant effect on consumers' product evaluations. In summary, the lexical properties of the product reviews were defined according to each relevant factor. Then, the influence of each linguistic factor of expert reviews on the consumers' final evaluations was tested. In addition, a test was performed on whether each linguistic factor influencing consumers' product evaluations differs depending on the lexical features. The results of these analyses should provide guidelines on how individuals process massive volumes of unstructured data depending on lexical features in various contexts and how companies can use this mechanism from their perspective. This paper provides several theoretical and practical contributions, such as the proposal of a new methodology and its application to real data.
Expert Review;Text mining;Product Evaluation;Online Word-of-mouth;LIWC
- Archak, N., A. Ghose, and P. G. Ipeirotis, "Show Me The Money!," Proceedings on the 13th ACM SIGKDD International Conference, (2007), 56-65.
- Archak, N., A. Ghose, and P. G. Ipeirotis, "Deriving the Pricing Power of Product Features by Mining Consumer Reviews," Management Science, Vol.57, No.8(2011), 1485-1509. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1110.1370
- Bednar, M. K., "Watchdog or Lapdog? A Behavioral View of the Media as a Corporate Governance Mechanism," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.55, No.1(2012), 131-150. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.0862
- Berger, J. A. and K. L. Milkman, "What Makes Online Content Viral?," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.49, No.2(2012), 192-205. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.10.0353
- Berger, J., A. T. Sorensen, and S. J. Rasmussen, "Positive Effects of Negative Publicity: When Negative Reviews Increase Sales," Marketing Science, Vol.29, No.5(2010), 815-827. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1090.0557
- Beaudreau, B. C., "Identity, Entropy and Culture," Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol.27, No.2(2006), 205-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2005.08.005
- Bond, G. D. and A. Y. Lee, "Language of Lies in Prison: Linguistic Classification of Prisoners' Truthful and Deceptive Natural Language," Applied Cognitive Psychology, Vol.19, No.3(2005), 313-329. https://doi.org/10.1002/acp.1087
- Brett, J. M., M. Olekalns, R. Friedman, N. Goates, C. Anderson, and C. C. Lisco, "Sticks and Stones: Language, Face, and Online Dispute Resolution," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.50, No.1(2007), 85-99. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24161853
- Cameron, S., "On the Role of Critics in the Culture Industry," Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol.19, No.4(1995), 321-331. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01073994
- Chen, Y. and J. Xie, "Third-party Product Review and Firm Marketing Strategy," Marketing Science, Vol.24, No.2(2005), 218-240. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1040.0089
- Chen, Y. and J. Xie, "Online Consumer Review: Word-of-Mouth as a New Element of Marketing Communication Mix," Management Science, Vol.54, No.3(2008), 477-491. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1070.0810
- Chevalier, J. A. and D. Mayzlin, "The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.43, No.3(2006), 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.3.345
- Cohen, K. B., M. Palmer, and L. Hunter, "Nominalization and Alternations in Biomedical Language," PLoS One, Vol.3, No.9(2008), e3158. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0003158
- Coovert, M. D. and G. D. Reeder, "Negativity Effects in Impression Formation: The Role of Unit Formation and Schematic Expectations," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.26, No.1(1990), 49-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(90)90061-P
- Creswell, J. D., S. Lam, A. L. Stanton, S. E. Taylor, J. E. Bower, and D. K. Sherman, "Does Self-Affirmation, Cognitive Processing, or Discovery of Meaning Explain Cancer-Related Health Benefits of Expressive Writing?" Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.33, No.2(2007), 238-250. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167206294412
- Dimoka, A., Y. Hong, and P. A. Pavlou, "On Product Uncertainty in Online Markets: Theory and Evidence," MIS Quarterly, Vol.36, No.2(2012), 395-426.
- Fan, W., L. Wallace, S. Rich, and Z. Zhang, "Tapping the Power of Text Mining," Communications of the ACM, Vol.49, No.9(2006), 76-82.
- Giboney, J. S., S. A. Brown, P. B. Lowry, and J. F. Nunamaker, "User Acceptance of Knowledge-Based System Recommendations: Explanations, Arguments, and Fit," Decision Support Systems, Vol.72(2015), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2015.02.005
- Guastella, A. J. and M. R. Dadds, "Cognitive-Behavioral Models of Emotional Writing: A Validation Study," Cognitive Therapy and Research, Vol.30, No.3(2006), 397-414. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10608-006-9045-6
- Hancock, J. T., C. Landrigan, and C. Silver, "Expressing Emotion In Text-Based Communication," Proceedings on the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, (2007), 929-932.
- Handelman, L. D. and D. Lester, "The Content of Suicide Notes from Attempters and Completers," The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, Vol.28, No.2(2007), 102-104. https://doi.org/10.1027/0227-5910.28.2.102
- Jun, S.-P and D.-H. Park, "Intelligent Brand Positioning Visualization System Based on Web Search Traffic Information: Focusing on Tablet PC," Journal of Intelligence and Information System, Vol.19, No.3(2013), 93-111. https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.3.093
- Kim, S. J., R. J. H. Wang, E. Maslowska, and E. C. Malthouse, "Understanding a Fury in Your Words: The Effects of Posting and Viewing Electronic Negative Word-of-Mouth on Purchase Behaviors," Computers In Human Behavior, Vol.54(2016), 511-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.08.015
- Lee, J., D. -H. Park, and I. Han, "The Effect of Negative Online Consumer Reviews on Product Attitude: An Information Processing View," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol.7, No.3(2008), 341-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2007.05.004
- Li, X. and L. M. Hitt, "Price Effects in Online Product Reviews: An Analytical Model and Empirical Analysis," MIS Quarterly, Vol.34, No.4(2010), 809-832. https://doi.org/10.2307/25750706
- Lieberman, M. A., "Effects of Disease and Leader Type on Moderators in Online Support Groups," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.24, No.5(2008), 2446-2455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.02.018
- Lundqvist, A., V. Liljander, J. Gummerus, and A. Van Riel, "The Impact of Storytelling on the Consumer Brand Experience: The Case of a Firm-Originated Story," Journal of Brand Management, Vol.20, No.4(2013), 283-297. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2012.15
- Mudambi, S. M. and D. Schuff, "What Makes a Helpful Online Review? A Study of Customer Reviews on Amazon.com," MIS Quarterly, Vol.34, No.1(2010), 185-200. https://doi.org/10.2307/20721420
- Nowson, S. and J. Oberlander, "Differentiating Document Type and Author Personality from Linguistic Features," Proceedings on Australasian Document Computing Symposium, (2006), 84-88.
- Pang, B. and L. Lee, "Opinion Mining and Sentiment Analysis," Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval, Vol.2, No.1-2(2008), 1-135. https://doi.org/10.1561/1500000011
- Park, D.-H., "A Study on the Success Factors and Strategy of Information Technology Investment Based on Intelligent Economic Simulation Modeling," Journal of Intelligence and Information System, Vol.19, No.1(2013), 35-55. https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.1.035
- Park, D.-H., J. Chung, Y. Chung, and D. Lee, "Development of Market Growth Pattern Map Based on Growth Model and Self-Organizing Map Algorithm: Focusing on ICT Products," Journal of Intelligence and Information System, Vol.20, No.4(2014), 1-23.
- Park, D.-H., and S. Kim, "The Effects of Consumer Knowledge on Message Processing of Electronic Word-of-Mouth via Online Consumer Reviews," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol.7, No.4(2009), 399-410.
- Park, D.-H. and J. Lee, "eWOM Overload and its Effect on Consumer Behavioral Intention Depending on Consumer Involvement," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol.7, No.4(2008), 386-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2007.11.004
- Park, D. -H., J. Lee, and I. Han, "The Effect of On-Line Consumer Reviews on Consumer Purchasing Intention: The Moderating Role of Involvement," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.11, No.4(2007), 125-148. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415110405
- Park, S. B. and D. -H. Park, "The Effect of Low-Versus High-Variance in Product Reviews on Product Evaluation," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.30, No.7(2013), 543-554. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20626
- Pennebaker, J. W. and L. A. King, "Linguistic Styles: Language Use as an Individual Difference," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.77, No.6(1999), 1296-1312. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.526
- Pennebaker, J. W., T. J. Mayne, and M. E. Francis, "Linguistic Predictors of Adaptive Bereavement," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.72, No.4(1997), 863-871. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Pennebaker, J. W., M. R. Mehl, and K. G. Niederhoffer, "Psychological Aspects of Natural Language Use: Our Words, Our Selves," Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.54, No.1(2003), 547-577. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.54.101601.145041
- Reinstein, D. A. and C. M. Snyder, "The Influence of Expert Reviews on Consumer Demand for Experience Goods: A Case Study of Movie Critics," The Journal of Industrial Economics, Vol.53, No.1(2005), 27-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-1821.2005.00244.x
- Sher, P. J. and S. H. Lee, "Consumer Skepticism and Online Reviews: An Elaboration Likelihood Model Perspective," Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal, Vol.37, No.1(2009), 137-143. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2009.37.1.137
- Stavrianou, A., P. Andritsos, and N. Nicoloyannis, "Overview and Semantic Issues of Text Mining," ACM Sigmod Record, Vol.36, No.3(2007), 23-34. https://doi.org/10.1145/1324185.1324190
- Turney, P. D., "Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down? Semantic Orientation Applied to Unsupervised Classification of Reviews," Proceedings on the 40th Annual Meeting on Association For Computational Linguistics, (2002), 417-424.
- Vrij, A., S. Mann, S. Kristen, and R. P. Fisher, "Cues to Deception and Ability to Detect Lies as a Function of Police Interview Styles," Law and Human Behavior, Vol.31, No.5(2007), 499-518. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10979-006-9066-4
- Xia, L. and N. N. Bechwati, "Word of Mouse: The Role of Cognitive Personalization in Online Consumer Reviews," Journal of Interactive Advertising, Vol.9, No.1(2008), 3-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/15252019.2008.10722143
- Zhu, F. and X. Zhang, "Impact of Online Consumer Reviews on Sales: The Moderating Role of Product and Consumer Characteristics," Journal of Marketing, Vol.74, No.2(2010), 133-148. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.74.2.133
Supported by : 한국연구재단