- Volume 8 Issue 1
The purpose of this work is to examine the voice onset times(VOTs) of the voiceless and voiced stops from the ten young male speakers of the Buckeye corpus. The factors that are known to affect VOTs were also extracted, including the place of articulation, height of following vowels, location within word, presence of a preceding [s], status of the target word with respect to the content versus function word, presence of a syllabic stress, word frequency and speech rate. Findings from this work mostly agreed with those from earlier studies on English, but with some exceptions and new discoveries. We hope that this work can contribute to figuring out the nature and properties of the spontaneous speech of English.
Buckeye corpus;spontaneous speech;voice onset time;VOT;English;stops;plosives
- Lisker, L. & Abramson, A. S. (1964). A cross-language study of voicing in initial stops: acoustical measurements. Word,20, 384-422. https://doi.org/10.1080/00437956.1964.11659830
- Chen, M., Chao, K. Y., & Peng, J. F. (2007). Productions of word-initial stops in Mandarin and English: a cross-language study. Proceedings of the 19th Conference on Computational Linguistics and Speech Processing (ROCLING).
- Klatt, D. H. (1975). Voice onset time, frication, and aspiration in word-initial consonant clusters. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 18, 686-706. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.1804.686
- Docherty, G. J. (1992). The timing of voicing in British English obstruents. New York: Foris.
- Kent, R. D. & Read, W. C. (2002). The acoustic analysis of speech, 2nd edition. San Diego, CA: Singular.
- Lee, Y. & Yoon, K. (2016). A study on the voice onset times of the Seoul corpus males in their twenties. The New Studies of English Language and Literature (under review). (이유리.윤규철 (2016). 서울 코퍼스 20 대 남성의 성대진동 개시시간 연구. 신영어영문학 (심사중))
- Oh, E. (2009). Voice onset time of Korean stops as a function of speaking rate. Phonetics and Speech Sciences, 1(3), 39-48. (오은진 (2009). 발화 속도에 따른 한국어 폐쇄음의 VOT 값 변화. 말소리와 음성과학, 1(3), 39-48.)
- Yoon, K. (2012). A study on the voice onset time of English voiceless stops in the Buckeye Corpus. Phonetics and Speech Sciences, 4(2), 33-40. (윤규철 (2012). 벅아이 코퍼스를 이용한 영어 무성파열음의 VOT 연구. 말소리와 음성과학, 4(2), 33-40.) https://doi.org/10.13064/KSSS.2012.4.2.033
- Pitt, M. A., Dilley, L., Johnson, K., Kiesling, S., Raymond, W., Hume, E., & Fosler-Lussier, E. (2007). Buckeye Corpus of Conversational Speech (2nd release). [www.buckeyecorpus.osu.edu] Columbus, OH: Department of Psychology, Ohio State University (Distributor) on March 31, 2012.
- Yun, W., Yoon, K., Park, S., Lee, J., Cho, S., Kang, D., Byun, K., Hahn, H., & Kim, J. (2015). The Korean Corpus of Spontaneous Speech. Daegu: Industry-Academic Cooperation Foundation, Keimyung University (Distributor) on March 31, 2015.