- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Chinese KFL learners' production aspects of post-lexical phonological process in Korean - Focusing on the nasalization -
운율구 형성과정에서 나타나는 어휘부와 후어휘부 필수음운현상에 대한 중국인학습자들의 발화양상 -비음화를 중심으로-
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.03.31
In this study, we examined whether Chinese learners of Korean can correctly produce the phonological process on the lexical and post-lexical level. For this purpose 4 Korean native speakers and 10 advanced and 10 intermediate Chinese learners of Korean participated in the production test. The materials analyzed constituted 10 Korean sentences in which nasalization can be applied on the syllable boundary, word boundary(w-boundary) as well as accentual phrase boundary(AP-boundary). The results show that for Korean speakers, nasalization was applied 100% at all level whereas for Chinese speakers, the rate of application of nasalization is different according to prosodic constituents and Korean proficiency. Nasalization was more frequently applied at the lexical level than the post-lexical level, and it is more frequent in the w-boundary conditions than in the AP-boundary conditions. However, the rate of nasalization in the w-boundary is close to the lexical level. The pronunciation errors were committed either as non application of nasalization or coda obstruent ommission. In the case of non application of nasalization, Chinese learners of Korean produced the target syllables as underling forms, which were not transformed as surface forms. In addition, we can observe the ommission of coda obstruents in 'lenis obstruents+nasal sound' sequences. As a result, nasalization is blocked by this omission.
nasalization;lexical level;post-lexical phonological process;accentual phrase;intonational phrase
- Aum, T. S. (2013). Comprehension on the phonological process of standard Korean. Seoul: Pakmunsa. (엄태수 (2013). 표준어의 음운현상에 대한 이해. 서울: 박문사.)
- Baek, G. M. & Kim, T. K. (2014). Consonants deletion during acquisition of Korean as a second language based on the analysis of spontaneous speech data of Korean-learning Chinese. Korean language and literature in international context, 63, 257-281. (백경미.김태경 (2014). 제 2 언어로서의 한국어 습득과정에 나타난 자음탈락 현상연구-중국인 한국어 학습자의 자발화를 대상으로. 국제어문, 63, 257-281.)
- Cebrian, J. (2000). Transferability and productivity of L1 rules in Catalan-English inter-language. Studies in second language acquisition, 22(1), 1-26.
- Eckman, F. R. (1977). Markedness and the contrastive analysis hypothesis. Language learning, 27(2), 315-330. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1977.tb00124.x
- Heo, Y. & Kim, S. J. (2006). Teaching pronunciation of Korean as a foreign language. Seoul: Parkijung. (허용.김선정 (2006). 외국어로서의 한국어 발음 교육론. 서울: 박이정.)
- Jun, S. A. (2000). K-ToBI Labelling Convention. Journal of Speech Science, 7(1), 143-169.
- Jun, S. A. (2005). Intonational phonology of Korean revisited. UCLA working papers in phonetics, 104, 14-25.
- Kang, O. M. (1994). Syllabification in Korean. Language research, 30(3), 532-567. (강옥미 (1994). 한국어의 음절화. 어학연구, 30(3), 535-567.)
- Kim, T. K. & Park, C. R. (2014). Pronunciation errors in Korean syllable coda by native Chinese speakers. Korean language and culture, 55, 5-34. (김태경.박초롱 (2014). 중국어 모어화자의 한국어 종성 발음 오류에 관한 연구. 한국언어문화, 55, 5-34.)
- Lado, R. (1957). Linguistics across culture. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Park, S. W. (2005). Positional markedness and /n/-insertion in Korean. Studies in Phonetics, Phonology and Morphology, 11(2), 323-335. (박선우 (2005). 위치적 유표성과 한국어의 ㄴ삽입. 음성음운형태론 연구, 11(2), 323-335.)
- Rattanasone, N. X. & Demuth, K. (2014). The acquisition of coda consonants by Mandarin early child L2 learners of English. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 17(3), 646-659. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728913000618
- Sato, C. J. (1984). phonological processes in second language acquisition: another look at inter-language syllable structure. Language Learning, 34(4), 43-58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1984.tb00351.x
- Simackova, S. & Podlipsky, V. J. (2015). Pronunciation of L2 sounds at word boundaries: stop-stop sequences in Czech English. Retrieved from http://fu.ff.cuni.cz/epip4/docs/EPIP4-Proceedings.pdf/ on January 02, 2016.
- Shin, J. Y. & Cha, J. E. (2003). Korean sound system. Seoul: Hangukmunwhasa. (신지영.차재은 (2003). 우리말 소리의 체계. 서울: 한국문화사).
- Zoll, C. (1998). Positional Asymmetries and Licensing. Retrieved from http://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/43601/ on January 05, 2016.
- Choi, H. S. (2008). A study on teaching how to pronounce Korean fortis for Chinese learners. M.A. Thesis, Chungnam University. (최현숙 (2008). 중국인 학습자의 한국어 된소리 발음 교육연구. 충남대학교 석사학위 논문.)
- Kwack, D. G. (1992). A phonological study on the Korean prosodic structure. Ph.D. Dissertation, Seoul National University. (곽동기 (1992). 운율단위에 의한 국어 음운현상의 분석. 서울대학교 박사학위 논문.)
Supported by : 교육부, 한국연구재단