- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of auditory and visual presentation on phonemic awareness in 5- to 6- year-old children
청각적 말소리 자극과 시각적 글자 자극 제시방법에 따른 5, 6세 일반아동의 음소인식 수행력 비교
Kim, Myung-Heon;Ha, Ji-Wan
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.17
- Published : 2016.03.31
The phonemic awareness tasks (phonemic synthesis, phonemic elision, phonemic segmentation) by auditory presentation and visual presentation were conducted to 40 children who are 5 and 6 years old. The scores and error types in the sub-tasks by two presentations were compared to each other. Also, the correlation between the performances of phonemic awareness sub-tasks in two presentation conditions were examined. As a result, 6-year-old group showed significantly higher phonemic awareness scores than 5-year-old group. Both group showed significantly higher scores in visual presentation than auditory presentation. While the performance under the visual presentation was significantly lower especially in the segmentation than the other two tasks, there was no significant difference among sub-tasks under the auditory presentation. 5-year-old group showed significantly more 'no response' errors than 6-year-old group and 6-year-old group showed significantly more 'phoneme substitution' and 'phoneme omission' errors than 5-year-old group. Significantly more 'phoneme omission' errors were observed in the segmentation than the elision task, and significantly more 'phoneme addition' errors were observed in elision than the synthesis task. Lastly, there are positive correlations in auditory and visual synthesis tasks, auditory and visual elision tasks, and auditory and visual segmentation tasks. Summarizing the results, children tend to depend on orthographic knowledge when acquiring the initial phonemic awareness. Therefore, the result of this research would support the position that the orthographic knowledge affects the improvement of phonemic awareness.
Phonemic awareness;orthographic knowledge;auditory presentation;visual presentation
- Adams, M. J. (1990). Beginning to read: Thinking and learning about print. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Anthony, J. L. & Francis, D. J. (2005). Development of phonological awareness. Current Directions in Psychological Sciences, 14(5), 255-259. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0963-7214.2005.00376.x
- Baars, B., Motley, M., & MacKay, D. (1975). Output editing for lexical status in artificially elicited slips of the tongue. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, 14, 382-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5371(75)80017-X
- Brown, R. M. (1977). An examination of visual and verbal coding processes in preschool children. Child Development, 48, 38-45. https://doi.org/10.2307/1128878
- Castles, A., Wilson, K., & Coltheart, M. (2011). Early orthographic influences on phonemic awareness tasks: Evidence from preschool training study. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 108, 203-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jecp.2010.07.006
- Catts, H. W. (1993). The relationship between speech-language impairments and reading disabilities. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 36(5), 948-958. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.3605.948
- Cho, M. H. (2002). The phonemic awareness and reading ability. Children's Media Research, 1, 119-135. (조문현 (2002). 유아의 음소인식과 읽기 능력. 어린이미디어연구, 1, 119-135.)
- Ellis, N. R. & Wooldridge, P. W. (1985). Short-term memory for pictures and words by mentally retarded and nonretarded persons. American Journal of Mental Deficiency, 89, 622-630.
- Forster, K. I. & Forster, J. C. (2003). DMDX: A Windows display program with millisecond accuracy. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 35(1), 116-124. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03195503
- Hogan, T. P., Catts, H. W., & Little, T. D. (2005). The relationship between phonological awareness and reading: Implications for the assessment of phonological awareness. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 36(4), 285-293. https://doi.org/10.1044/0161-1461(2005/029)
- Hong, S. I., Jeon, S. I., Pae, S. Y., & Lee, I. H. (2002). The development of phonological awareness in Korean children. Communication Sciences & Disorders, 7(1), 49-64. (홍성인.전세일.배소영.이익환 (2002). 한국 아동의 음운인식 발달. 언어청각장애연구, 7(1), 49-64.)
- Juel, C. (1988). Learning to read and write: A longitudinal study of 54 children from first through fourth grades. Journal of Educational Psychology, 80(4), 437-447. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2067
- Kim, S. J. & Kim, Y. T. (2006). Development of phonological awareness abilities of normal children in the age 5 and 6 through phonological elision task and its correlation to other phonological processing abilities. Communication Sciences & Disorders, 11(3), 16-28. (김선정.김영태 (2006). 음운생략과제를 통한 5-6 세 아동의 음운인식 발달 및 음운처리 능력과의 상관도 연구. 언어청각장애연구, 11(3), 16-28.)
- Kim, Y. J. (2006). Relations between 3-5 years children's phonological awareness ability and writing ability. M.A. Thesis, Myongji University. (김예지 (2006). 3-5 세 유아의 음운인식능력과 쓰기능력과의 관계. 명지대학교 사회교육대학원 석사학위논문.)
- Kim, Y. T. (1996). Accuracy study of preschool children consonant with a consonant figure checks. Communication Sciences & Disorders, 1, 7-33. (김영태 (1996). 그림자음검사를 이용한 취학전 아동의 자음정확도 연구. 언어청각장애연구, 1, 7-33.)
- Kim, Y. T., Hong, G. H., Kim, K. H., Jang, H. S., & Lee, J. Y. (2009). Receptive & expressive vocabulary test(REVT). Seoul: Seoul Community Rehabilitation Center. (김영태.홍경훈.김경희.장혜성.이주연 (2009). 수용.표현 어휘력 검사(REVT). 서울: 서울장애인종합복지관.)
- Kim, Y. T. & Shin, M. J. (2004). Urimal test of articulation and phonology(U-TAP). Seoul: Hakjisa. (김영태.신문자 (2004). 우리말 조음.음운평가(U-TAP). 서울: 학지사.)
- Lee, C. S. (2003). The characteristics of decoding process in the reading of Korean scripts, Hangul and teaching method for fostering of learning to decode. Early Childhood Education Research, 23(1), 5-26. (이차숙 (2003). 한글의 특성에 따른 한글 해독 지도 방법 탐색. 유아교육연구, 23(1), 5-26.)
- Lee, S. & Kim, W. S. (2014). The character of development for syllable, alliteration, rimes, and phonemes for normal children: 4-6 years old. Journal of Speech-Language & Hearing Disorders, 23(1), 127-158. (이숙.김화수 (2014). 일반아동의 음절.음절체.각운.음소의 발달 특성. 언어치료연구, 23(1), 127-158.) https://doi.org/10.15724/jslhd.2014.23.1.007
- Liberman, I. Y., Shankweiler, D., Fischer, F. W., & Carter, B. (1974). Explicit syllable and phoneme segmentation in the young child. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 18(2), 201-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0965(74)90101-5
- Morais, J., Cary, L., Alegria, J., & Bertelson, P. (1979). Does awareness of speech as a sequence of phone arise spontaneously? Cognition, 7, 323-331.
- Perin, D.(1983). Phonemic segmentation and spelling. British Journal of Psychology,74(1), 129-144. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8295.1983.tb01849.x
- Ruml, W., Caramazza, A., Shelton, J. R., & Chialant, D. (2000). Testing assumptions in computational theories of aphasia. Journal of Memory and Language, 43, 217-248. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmla.2000.2730
- Ryner, K., Foorman, B. R., Perfetti, C. A., Pesetsky, D., & Seidenberg, M. S. (2001). How psychological science informs the teaching and reading. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 2(2), 31-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/1529-1006.00004
- Seok, D. I. (2006). Development of evaluation and assessment model for phonological awareness. Communication Sciences & Disorders, 11(3), 29-46. (석동일 (2006). 음운인식 진단.평가 모형 개발. 언어청각장애연구, 11(3), 29-46.)
- Treiman, R. A., Baron, J., & Luk, K. (1981). Speech recoding in silent reading: A comparison of chinese and english. Journal of Chinese Linguistics, 9(1), 116-125.
- Vloedgraven, J., & Verhoeve, L. (2009). The nature of phonological awareness throughout the elementary grades: An item response theory perspective. Learning and Individual Differences, 19, 161-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2008.09.005
- Wagstaff, J. (2001). Irresistible sound-matching sheets and lessons that build phonemic awareness. New York, NY: Scholastic.
- Whitehurst, G. J., & Lonigan, C. J. (1998). Child development and emergent literacy. Child Development, 69, 848-872. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.1998.tb06247.x
- Hong, S. I. (2001). The development of phonological awareness in Korean children. M.A Thesis, Yonsei University. (홍성인 (2001). 한국아동의 음운인식발달. 연세대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.)
- Je, H. S. (2014). Effect of emergent literacy skills on monosyllable reading of children with typical development and mild intellectual disability. Ph.D Dissertation, Ewha Womans University. (제현순 (2014). 초기 문해력 기술들이 일반아동 및 지적장애아동의 1음절읽기 능력에 미치는 영향. 이화여자대학교 대학원 박사학위논문.)
- Ko, Y. G. (2003). Relationships between phonological awareness and reading ability of 3-and 4-year-old children. M.A. Thesis, Konkuk University. (고연경 (2002). 3, 4 세 유아의 음운 인식과 읽기 능력과의 관계. 건국대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.)
- Lim, J. Y. (2010). The influence of phonological awareness training using a computer on phonological awareness ability of preschool children with specific language impairment(SLI). M.A. Thesis, Daegu University. (임정연 (2010). 컴퓨터를 활용한 음운인식 훈련이 취학 전 단순언어장애 아동의 음운인식능력에 미치는 효과. 대구대학교 재활과학대학원 석사학위논문.)
- Na, Y. J. (2014). Effects of orthographic knowledge and phonological awareness of 5-8 year old children on word decoding and encoding. M.A. Thesis, Daegu University. (나예주 (2014). 철자지식과 음운인식이 5-8 세 일반아동의 단어 읽기와 단어 받아쓰기에 미치는 영향. 대구대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.)
- Park, J. Y. (2009). The effect of phonological awareness instruction for decoding and spelling on kindergarteners. M.A. Thesis, Chungang University. (박정윤 (2009). 음운인식 지도가 유치아동의 해독과 철자에 미치는 영향. 중앙대학교 교육대학원 석사학위논문.)
Supported by : 대구대학교