- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors that affect the bite force measurement
교합력 측정에 영향을 주는 요인
- Im, Ji-Ho (Department of Prosthodontics and Dental Research Institute, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Wonsup (Department of Prosthodontics, Dental Hospital, St. Mary's Hospital of Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Kim, Myung-Joo (Department of Prosthodontics and Dental Research Institute, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University) ;
- Lim, Young-Jun (Department of Prosthodontics and Dental Research Institute, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University) ;
- Kwon, Ho-Beom (Department of Prosthodontics and Dental Research Institute, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University)
- 임지호 (서울대학교 치의학대학원 치과보철학교실 및 서울대학교 치학연구소) ;
- 이원섭 (카톨릭대학교 서울성모병원 치과보철학교실) ;
- 김명주 (서울대학교 치의학대학원 치과보철학교실 및 서울대학교 치학연구소) ;
- 임영준 (서울대학교 치의학대학원 치과보철학교실 및 서울대학교 치학연구소) ;
- 권호범 (서울대학교 치의학대학원 치과보철학교실 및 서울대학교 치학연구소)
- Received : 2015.12.29
- Accepted : 2016.03.07
- Published : 2016.03.31
Mastication is the process to help digestion by chewing or grinding food. Masticatory system consists of maxilla, mandible, temporomandibular joints, ligaments, dentitions, and musculatures. Assessing the bite force can be one of the methods to estimate the masticatory system. Bite force is influenced by facial morphology, age, sex, periodontal status, temporomandibular joint disorder and dental condition, and so forth. In general, higher maximum bite force is seen in those who have a square-shaped face and in male rather than female. In addition, bite force tends to be increased by age 20, maintained constantly until age 40 - 50, and then decreased. Periodontal disease is known as a causative factor for decreased bite force while temporomandibular disorder (TMD) remains controversial as to whether it affects the force. The status of teeth is considered as an important factor to determine the maximum bite force.
bite force;bite force recording devices;bite force analysis
- Okeson JP. Management of temporomandibular disorders and occlusion. 6th ed. St. Louis; Elsevier Inc; 2008. p. 1.
- Bakke M. Bite force and occlusion. Semin Orthod 2006;12:120-6. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sodo.2006.01.005
- Al-Zarea BK. Maximum bite force following unilateral fixed prosthetic treatment: a within-subject comparison to the dentate side. Med Princ Pract 2015;24:142-6. https://doi.org/10.1159/000370214
- Linderholm H, Wennstrom A. Isometric bite force and its relation to general muscle forge and body build. Acta Odontol Scand 1970;28:679-89. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016357009058590
- Lassila V, Holmlund I, Koivumaa KK. Bite force and its correlations in different denture types. Acta Odontol Scand 1985;43:127-32. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358509064142
- Garg AK. Analyzing dental occlusion for implants: Tekscan's TScan III. Dent Implantol Update 2007; 18:65-70.
- Shinogaya T, Matsumoto M. Evaluation of prosthodontic treatment by occlusal force distribution: a methodological study. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 1998;6:121-5.
- Koc D, Dogan A, Bek B. Bite force and influential factors on bite force measurements: a literature review. Eur J Dent 2010;4:223-32.
- Throckmorton GS, Finn RA, Bell WH. Biomechanics of differences in lower facial height. Am J Orthod 1980;77:410-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(80)90106-2
- Shinogaya T, Bakke M, Thomsen CE, Vilmann A, Sodeyama A, Matsumoto M. Effects of ethnicity, gender and age on clenching force and load distribution. Clin Oral Investig 2001;5:63-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007840000099
- Tuxen A, Bakke M, Pinholt EM. Comparative data from young men and women on masseter muscle fibres, function and facial morphology. Arch Oral Biol 1999;44:509-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9969(99)00008-4
- Tripathi G, A A P, Rajwadha N, Chhaparia N, Sharma A, Anant M. Comparative evaluation of maximum bite force in dentulous and edentulous individuals with different facial forms. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8:ZC37-40.
- Bonakdarchian M, Askari N, Askari M. Effect of face form on maximal molar bite force with natural dentition. Arch Oral Biol 2009;54:201-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2008.11.009
- Jain V, Mathur VP, Pillai RS, Kalra S. A preliminary study to find out maximum occlusal bite force in Indian individuals. Indian J Dent Res 2014;25:325-30. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.138330
- Koc D, Dogan A, Bek B. Effect of gender, facial dimensions, body mass index and type of functional occlusion on bite force. J Appl Oral Sci 2011;19: 274-9. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572011000300017
- Palinkas M, Nassar MS, Cecílio FA, Siessere S, Semprini M, Machado-de-Sousa JP, Hallak JE, Regalo SC. Age and gender influence on maximal bite force and masticatory muscles thickness. Arch Oral Biol 2010;55:797-802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2010.06.016
- Calderon Pdos S, Kogawa EM, Lauris JR, Conti PC. The influence of gender and bruxism on the human maximum bite force. J Appl Oral Sci 2006; 14:448-53. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572006000600011
- Bakke M, Holm B, Jensen BL, Michler L, Moller E. Unilateral, isometric bite force in 8-68-year old women and men related to occlusal factors. Scand J Dent Res 1990;98:149-58.
- Roldan SI, Restrepo LG, Isaza JF, Velez LG, Buschang PH. Are maximum bite forces of subjects 7 to 17 years of age related to malocclusion? Angle Orthod 2015 Sep 8.[Epub ahead of print]
- Owais AI, Shaweesh M, Abu Alhaija ES. Maximum occusal bite force for children in different dentition stages. Eur J Orthod 2013;35:427-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/cjs021
- Ikebe K, Nokubi T, Morii K, Kashiwagi J, Furuya M. Association of bite force with ageing and occlusal support in older adults. J Dent 2005;33:131-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.09.002
- Kleinfelder JW, Ludwigt K. Maximal bite force in patients with reduced periodontal tissue support with and without splinting. J Periodontol 2002;73: 1184-7. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2002.73.10.1184
- Takeuchi N, Yamamoto T. Correlation between periodontal status and biting force in patients with chronic periodontitis during the maintenance phase of theraphy. J Clin Periodontol 2008;35:215-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2007.01186.x
- Alkan A, Keskiner I, Arici S, Sato S. The effect of periodontitis on biting abilities. J Periodontol 2006;77:1442-5. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2006.060025
- Pizolato RA, Gaviao MB, Berretin-Felix G, Sampaio AC, Trindade Junior AS. Maximal bite force in young adults with temporomandibular disorders and bruxism. Braz Oral Res 2007;21:278-83. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-83242007000300015
- Kogawa EM, Calderon PS, Laurus JR, Araujo CR, Conti PC. Evaluation of maximal bite force in temporomandibular disorders patients. J Oral Rehabil 2006;33:559-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2006.01619.x
- Hansdottir R, Bakke M. Joint tenderness, jaw opening, chewing velocity, and bite force in patients with temporomandibular joint pain and matched healthy control subjects. J Orofac Pain 2004;18:108-13.
- Bakke M, Hansdottir R. Mandibular function in patients with temporomandibular joint pain: a 3-year follow-up. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008;106:227-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2007.12.034
- Pereira-Cenci T, Pereira LJ, Cenci MS, Bonachela WC, Del Bel Cury AA. Maximal bite force and its association with temporomandibular disorders. Braz Dent J 2007;18:65-8. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-64402007000100014
- Pereira LJ, Pastore MG, Bonjardim LR, Castelo PM, Gaviao MB. Molar bite force and its correlation with signs of temporomandibular dysfunction in mixed and permanent dentition. J Oral Rehabil 2007;34:759-66. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2006.01697.x
- Hotta PT, Hotta TH, Bataglion C, Pavao RF, Siessere S, Regalo SC. Bite force in temporomandibular dysfunction (TMD) and healthy complete denture wearers. Braz Dent J 2008;19:354-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-64402008000400012
- Zivko-Babic J, Panduric J, Jerolimov V, Mioc M, Pizeta L, Jakovac M. Bite force in subjects with complete dentition. Coll Antropol 2002;26:293-302.
- Borie E, Orsi IA, Fuentes R, Beltrán V, Navarro P, Pareja F, Raimundo LB. Maximum bite force in elderly indigenous and non-indigenous denture wearers. Acta Odontol Latinoam 2014;27:115-9.
- AL-Omiri MK, Sghaireen MG, Alhijawi MM, Alzoubi IA, Lynch CD, Lynch E. Maximum bite force following unilateral implant supported prosthetic treatment: within subject comparison to opposite dentate side. J Oral Rehabil 2014;41:624-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/joor.12174
- Rismanchian M, Bajoghli F, Mostajeran Z, Fazel A, Eshkevari Ps. Effect of implants on maximum bite force in edentulous patients. J Oral Implantol 2009;35:196-200. https://doi.org/10.1563/1548-1336-35.4.196
- Miyaura K, Morita M, Matsuka Y, Yamashita A, Watanabe T. Rehabilitation of biting abilities in patients with different types of dental prostheses. J Oral Rehabil 2000;27:1073-6. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2000.00620.x