- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Changes in occlusal force depending on the movement of the adjacent and opposing teeth after loss of lower first molar: comparative study by using a strain gauge
하악 제1대구치 상실 시 인접 및 대합 치아들의 이동양상에 따른 교합력 변화: 스트레인게이지를 이용한 비교 연구
- Song, Myoung-Ja (Department of Orthodontics, Graduate School of Clinical Dentistry, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Park, Ji-Man (Department of Prosthodontics and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University Gwanak Dental Hospital) ;
- Chun, Youn-Sic (Department of Orthodontics, Graduate School of Clinical Dentistry, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2016.02.17
- Accepted : 2016.02.29
- Published : 2016.03.31
Purpose: The aim of this study was to investigate the changes in occlusal force after loss of the lower first molar depending on the inclination and extrusion of the adjacent and opposing teeth by using a strain gauge. Materials and Methods: Anatomic teeth were used to reconstruct the normal dental arch with loss of the lower right first molar. A uniformly thick layer of silicone was applied to the root to mimic the periodontal ligament. Four stages of dies with varying degrees of inclination and extrusion of the adjacent and opposing teeth were constructed and attached to master model interchangeably by using a CAD/CAM fabricated customized die system. The strain gauges were attached to teeth and a universal testing machine was used to determine the changes in occlusal force. An independent t-test and one-way ANOVA were performed (
loss of lower molar;tilted adjacent tooth;occlusal force;strain gauge
- Yalisove I, Deitz J. Telescopic prosthesis therapy. 1st ed. Philadelphia; George F. Strickly Co.; 1977. p. 104-7.
- Stern N, Revah A, Becker A. The tilted posterior tooth. Part I: etiology, syndrome, and prevention. J Prosthet Dent 1981;46:404-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(81)90447-9
- Craddock HL. Occlusal changes following posterior tooth loss in adults. Part 3. A study of clinical parameters associated with the presence of occlusal interferences following posterior tooth loss. J Prosthodont 2008;17:25-30.
- Goldman HM, Cohen DW. Periodontal therapy, 5th ed. St. Louis; The C. V. Mosby Co.; 1973. p. 40.
- Wehrbein H, Diedrich P. Mesio-marginal findings at tilted molars: a histological-histomorphometric study. Eur J Orthod 2001;23:663-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/23.6.663
- Yang HS, Thompson VP. A two-dimensional stress analysis comparing fixed prosthodontic approaches to the tilted molar abutment. Int J Prosthodont 1991;4:416-24.
- Gibbs CH, Anusavice KJ, Young HM, Jones JS, Esquivel-Upshaw JF. Maximum clenching force of patients with moderate loss of posterior tooth support: a pilot study. J Prosthet Dent 2002;88:498-502. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2002.129062
- Agerberg G, Carlsson GE. Chewing ability in relation to dental and general health: analysis of data obtained from a questionnaire. Acta Odontol Scand 1981;39:147-53. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358109162273
- Osterberg T, Steen B. Relationship between dental state and dietary intake in 70-year-old males and females in Göteborg, Sweden: a population study. J Oral Rehabil 1982;9:509-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1982.tb01041.x
- Manly RS, Braley LC. Masticatory performance and efficiency. J Dent Res 1950;29:448-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345500290040701
- Devlin H, Wastell DG. Bite force and masseter muscle electromyographic activity during onset of an isometric clench in man. Arch Oral Biol 1985; 30:213-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(85)90035-4
- Fontijn-Tekamp FA, Slagter AP, Van der Bilt A, Van't Hof MA, Kalk W, Jansen JA. Swallowing thresholds of mandibular implant-retained overdentures with variable portion sizes. Clin Oral Implants Res 2004;15:375-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2004.01006.x
- Helkimo E, Carlsson GE, Helkimo M. Bite force and state of dentition. Acta Odontol Scand 1977; 35:297-303. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016357709064128
- Tsuga K, Carlsson GE, Osterberg T, Karlsson S. Self-assessed masticatory ability in relation to maximal bite force and dental state in 80-year-old subjects. J Oral Rehabil 1998;25:117-24.
- Hemley S. Fundamentals of occlusion. 15th ed. Philadelphia; W.B. Saunders; 1944.
- Anderson DJ. Measurement of stress in mastication. II. J Dent Res 1956;35:671-3. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345560350050301
- Floystrand F, Kleven E, Oilo G. A novel miniature bite force recorder and its clinical application. Acta Odontol Scand 1982;40:209-14. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358209019814
- Seo JC, Kim JR, Yang DK. Study on changes in the maximum bite force after orthognathic surgery. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 1996;22:121-9.
- Cho YC, Kim TK. A study on maximum bite force after dental implantation. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 1997;23:541-7.
- Jung BY, Jeon YS, Han DH. Occlusal force and oral tactile sensibility measured in partially edentulous patients with Brånemark implants and natural teeth: a clinical study. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 1999;37:23-41.
- Kwon HK, Yoo JH, Kwon YS, Kim BI. Comparison of bite force with dental prescale and unilateral bite force recorder in healthy subjects. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2006;44:103-11.
- Maness W. Comparison of the duration of occlusal contacts during habitual closure using the digital occlusal senser [abstract]. J Dent Res 1986;65:141.
- Throckmorton GS, Rasmussen J, Caloss R. Calibration of T-scan sensors for recording bite forces in denture patients. J Oral Rehabil 2009;36:636-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2009.01978.x
- Oyen OJ, Melugin MB, Indresano AT. Strain gauge analysis of the frontozygomatic region of the zygomatic complex. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1996;54: 1092-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(96)90167-6
- Kim SC, Park KC. An analytical study on strain distribution using strain gauge attached on root surface. Korean J Orthod 2001;31:325-33.
- Duyck J, Van Oosterwyck H, De Cooman M, Puers R, Vander Sloten J, Naert I. Three-dimensional force measurements on oral implants: a methodological study. J Oral Rehabil 2000;27:744-53. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2000.00581.x
- Heo W, Baek SH. Friction properties according to vertical and horizontal tooth displacement and bracket type during inital leveling and alignment. Angle Orthod 2011;81:653-61. https://doi.org/10.2319/072310-431.1
- Sohn BS, Heo SJ, Chang IT, Koak JY, Kim SK. A strain gauge analysis of implant supported cantilevered fixed prosthesis under distal static load. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2007;45:717-23.
- Pedersen E, Andersen K, Melse B. Tooth displacement analysed on human autopsy material by means of a strain gauge technique. Eur J Orthod 1991;13:65-74. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/13.1.65
- Gunne HS, Wall AK. The effect of new complete dentures on mastication and dietary intake. Acta Odontol Scand 1985;43:257-68. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358509046506
- Yurkstas A, Fridley HH, Manly RS. A functional evaluation of fixed and removable bridgework. J Prosthet Dent 1951;1:570-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(51)90042-X
- Yurkstas AA. The effect of missing teeth on masticatory performance and efficiency. J Prosthet Dent 1954;4:120-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(54)90076-1
- Lambrecht JR. The influence of occlusal contact area on chewing performance. J Prosthet Dent 1965;15:444-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(65)80012-9
- Iwase M, Ohashi M, Tachibana H, Toyoshima T, Nagumo M. Bite force, occlusal contact area and masticatory efficiency before and after orthognathic surgical correction of mandibular prognathism. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006;35:1102-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2006.08.014
- Yoon HR, Choi YJ, Kim KH, Chung C. Comparisons of occlusal force according to occlusal relationship, skeletal pattern, age and gender in Koreans. Korean J Orthod 2010;40:304-313. https://doi.org/10.4041/kjod.2010.40.5.304
- Korioth TW. Number and location of occlusal contacts in intercuspal position. J Prosthet Dent 1990; 64:206-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(90)90180-K
- Picton DC. Tilting movements of teeth during biting. Arch Oral Biol 1962;7:151-9.
- Southard TE, Behrents RG, Tolley EA. The anterior component of occlusal force. Part 1. measurement and distribution. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1989;96:493-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889-5406(89)90116-9
- Strange HE. A three-dimensional consideration of occlusion. Am J Orthod Oral Surg 1940;26:787-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0096-6347(40)90333-7
- Begg PR. Begg orthodontic theory and technique. Philadelphia; W.B. Saunders Co.; 1965. p. 60.
- Behrend DA. The mandibular posterior fixed partial denture. J Prosthet Dent 1977;37:622-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(77)90212-8
- Hood JA, Farah JW, Craig RG. Modification of stresses in alveolar bone induced by a tilted molar. J Prosthet Dent 1975;34:415-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(75)90159-6
- Sawicka M, Racka-Pilszak B, Rosnowska-Mazurkiewicz A. Uprighting partially impacted permanent second molars. Angle Orthod 2007;77:148-154. https://doi.org/10.2319/010206-461R.1
- Kraal JH, Digiancinto JJ, Dail RA, Lemmerman K, Peden JW. Periodontal conditions in patients after molar uprighting. J Prosthet Dent 1980;43:156-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(80)90179-1
- Shiau YY, Peng CC, Hsu CW. Evaluation of biting performance with standardized test foods. J Oral Rehabil 1999;26:447-52. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.1999.00411.x
- Kohyama K, Hatakeyama E, Sasaki T, Dan H, Azuma T, Karita K. Effects of sample hardness on human chewing force: a model study using silicone rubber. Arch Oral Biol 2004;49:805-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2004.04.006
- Proffit WR, Fields HW, Nixon WL. Occlusal forces in normal- and long-faced adults. J Dent Res 1983; 62:566-70. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345830620051201