- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Orthognathic surgery on Skeletal Class III patiens with collapsed vertical dimension: case report
수직고경이 붕괴된 골격성 III급 부정교합자의 악교정 수술 치험례
- Received : 2015.08.13
- Accepted : 2016.03.02
- Published : 2016.03.31
Patients who lost posterior teeth due to periodontitis or dental caries have collapsed vertical dimension, unstable occlusion and change of the mandibular position. In particular, patients in orthognathic surgery, clinician should re-establish the pre-operative stable position of mandibular condyle in articular fossa and favorable vertical dimension for high post-operative stability of mandible. Therefore, interdisciplinary approach and co-operation, including prosthetics, orthodontics, oral and maxillofacial surgeon, from diagnosis and treatment plan is important to get a good outcome. This case report was patients who had collapsed occlusal plane due to severe dental caries on maxillary molars with skeletal Class III malocclusion. Before orthognathic surgery, resetting of maxillary occlusal plane with temporary removable denture was performed. Then successful multidisciplinary approach was done and lead to acceptable clinical outcome.
posterior teeth missing;bite collapse;vertical dimension;condyle position;orthognathic surgery;interdisciplinary approach
- Wolford LM, Chemello PD, Hilliard F. Occlusal plane alteration in orthognathic surgery - Part I. effects on function and esthetics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1994;106:304-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(94)70051-6
- Ricketts RM. Cephalometric analysis synthesis. Angle Orthod 1961;31:141-56.
- Selwyn SL. An assessment of patients with periodontally involved migrated incisors. J Dent 1973;1: 153-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(73)90027-4
- Brunsvold MA. Pathologic tooth migration. J Periodontol 2005;76:859-66. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2005.76.6.859
- Sierpinska T, Golebiewska M, Kuc J, Lapuc M. The influence of the occlusal vertical dimension on masticatory muscle activities and hyoid bone position in complete denture wearers. Adv Med Sci 2009;54:104-8.
- Granados JI. The influence of the loss of teeth and attrition on the articular eminence. J Prosthet Dent 1979;42:78-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(79)90333-0
- Uribe F, Janakiraman N, Nanda R. Interdisciplinary approach for increasing the vertical dimension of occlusion in an adult patient with several missing teeth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2013;143: 867-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2012.05.022
- Abduo J. Safety of increasing vertical dimension of occlusion: a systematic review. Quintessence Int 2012;43:369-80.
- Proffit WR, Bell WH. Surgical correction of dentofacial deformities. Philadelphia; WB Saunders; 1980. p. 1111-3.
- Igarashi Y, Yamashita S, Kuroiwa A. Changes in interarch distance and condylar position related to loss of occlusal support for partially edentulous patients. A pilot study. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 1999;7:107-11.
- Willis FM. Features of the face involved in full denture prosthesis. Dent Cosmos 1935;77:851-4.
- Fayz F, Eslami A. Determination of occlusal vertical dimension: a literature review. J Prosthet Dent 1988;59:321-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(88)90182-5
- Spalding PM, Cohen BD. Orthodontic adjunctive treatment in fixed prosthodontics. Dent Clin North Am 1992;36:607-29.
- Miller TE. Orthodontic therapy for the restorative patient. Part I: the biomechanic aspects. J Prosthet Dent 1989;61:268-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(89)90126-1
- Hwang HS, Lee KH. Intrusion of overerupted molars by corticotomy and magnets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2001;120:209-16. https://doi.org/10.1067/mod.2001.115149
- Mostafa YA, Tawfik KM, El-Mangoury NH. Surgical- orthodontic treatment for overerupted maxillary molars. J Clin Orthod 1985;19:350-1.
- Park YC, Lee SY, Kim DH, Jee SH. Intrusion of posterior teeth using mini-screw implants. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2003;123:690-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(03)00047-7
- Dellinger EL. A histologic and cephalometric investigation of premolar intrusion in the Macaca speciosa monkey. Am J Orthod 1967;53:325-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(67)90100-5
- Kalra V, Burstone CJ, Nanda R. Effects of a fixed magnetic appliance on the dentofacial complex. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1989;95:467-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889-5406(89)90410-1