- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Fouling and cleaning of reverse osmosis membrane applied to membrane bioreactor effluent treating textile wastewater
Srisukphun, Thirdpong;Chiemchaisri, Chart;Chiemchaisri, Wilai;Thanuttamavong, Monthon
- Received : 2015.08.03
- Accepted : 2015.12.14
- Published : 2016.03.31
Membrane bioreactor (MBR) and reverse osmosis (RO) membrane system was applied to the treatment and reclamation of textile wastewater in Thailand. An experiment was carried out to determine the fouling behavior and effect of anti-scalant and biocide addition to flux decline and its recovery through chemical cleaning. The RO unit was operated for one month after which the fouled membranes were cleaned by sequential chemical cleaning method. RO flux was found rapidly declined during initial period and only slightly decreased further in long-term operation. The main foulants were organic compounds and thus sequential cleaning using alkaline solution followed by acid solution was found to be the most effective method. The provision of anti-scalant and biocide in feed-water could not prevent deposition of foulant on the membrane surface but helped improving the membrane cleaning efficiencies.
Fouling;Membrane cleaning;Reverse osmosis;Textile wastewater;Wastewater reclamation
- Marcucci M, Nosenzo G, Capanelli G, Ciabatti I, Corrieri D, Ciardelli G. Treatment and reuse of textile effluents based on new ultrafiltration and other membrane technologies. Desalination 2001;138:75-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(01)00247-8
- Dasgupta J, Sikder J, Chakraborty S, Curcio S, Drioli E. Remediation of textile effluents by membrane based treatment techniques: A state of the art review. J. Environ. Manage. 2015;147:55-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2014.08.008
- Kurt E, Konseoglu-Imer DY, Dizge N, Chellam S, Koyuncu I. Pilot-scale evaluation of nanofiltration and reverse osmosis for process reuse of segregated textile dyewash wastewater. Desalination 2012;302:24-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2012.05.019
- Hossain MM, Mahmud MI, Parvez MS, Cho HM. Impact of current density, operating time and pH of textile wastewater treatment by electrocoagulation process. Environ. Eng. Res. 2013;18:157-161. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2013.18.3.157
- Ellouze E, Souissi S, Jrad A, Amar RB, Salah AB. Performances of nanofiltration and reverse osmosis in textile industry waste water treatment. Desalination Water Treat. 2010;22:182-186. https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2010.1432
- Lau WJ, Ismail AF. Polymeric nanofiltration membranes for textile dye wastewater treatment: Preparation, performance evaluation, transport modelling, and fouling control-A review. Desalination 2009;245:321-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.12.058
- Sahinkaya E, Uzal N, Yetis U, Dilek FB. Biological treatment and nanofiltration of denim textile wastewater for reuse. J. Hazard. Mater. 2008;153:1142-1148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.09.072
- Zheng Y, Yu S, Shuai S, et al. Color removal and COD reduction of biologically treated textile effluent through submerged filtration using hollow fiber nanofiltration membrane. Desalination 2013;314:89-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2013.01.004
- Brauns E, Van Hoof E, Molenberghs B, Dotremont C, Doyen W, Leysen R. A new method of measuring and presenting the membrane fouling potential. Desalination 2002;150:31-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(02)00927-X
- Abid MF, Zablouk MA, Abid-Alameer AM. Experimental study of dye removal from industrial wastewater by membrane technologies of reverse osmosis and nanofiltration. Iranian J. Environ. Health Sci. & Eng. 2012;9-17.
- Visvanathan C, Boonthanon N, Sathasivan A, Jegatheesan V. Pretreatment of seawater for biodegradable organic content removal using membrane bioreactor. Desalination 2002;153:133-140.
- Ang WS, Yip NY, Tiraferri A, Elimelech M. Chemical cleaning of RO membranes fouled by wastewater effluent: Achieving higher efficiency with dual-step cleaning. J. Membr. Sci. 2011;382:100-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2011.07.047
- Fersi C, Gzara L, Dhahbi M. Flux decline study for textile wastewater treatment by membrane processes. Desalination 2009;244:321-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.04.046
- Kim CK, Kim SS, Kim DW, Lim JC, Kim JJ. Removal of aromatic compounds in the aqueous solution via micellar enhanced ultrafiltration: part 1 behaviors of nonionic surfactants. J. Membrane Sci. 1998;147:13-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(98)00114-8
- Mietton-Peuchot M, Ranisio O, Peuchot C. Study of behaviour of membranes in the presence of anionic or nonionic surfactants. Filtration & Separation 1997;34:883-886. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-1882(97)81412-7
- Jiraratananon R, Sungpet A, Luangsowan P. Performance evaluation of nanofiltration membranes for treatment of effluents containing reactive dye and salt. Desalination 2000;130:177-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(00)00085-0
- Koyuncu I. Reactive dye removal in dye/salt mixtures by nanofiltration membranes containing vinylsulphon dyes: effect of feed concentration and cross flow velocity. Desalination 2002;143:243-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(02)00263-1
- Tang C, Chen V. Nanofiltration of textile wastewater for water reuse. Desalination 2002;143:11-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(02)00216-3
- Al-Ahmad M, Aleem FAA, Mutiri A, Ubaisy A. Biofouling in RO membrane systems part1: fundamentals and control. Desalination. 2000;132:173-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(00)00146-6
- Zhao Y, Wu K, Wang Z, Zhao L, Li S. Fouling and cleaning of membrane - a literature review. J. Environ. Sci. 2000;12:241-251.
- APHA. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 21st ed. American Public Health Association. Washington DC; 2005.
- ASTM Standards. Standard Test Method for Silt Density Index (SDI) of Water. PA: ASTM International, West Conshohocken; 2014.
- Vrouwenvelder JS, van der Kooij D. Diagnosis prediction of biofouling of NF and RO membranes. Desalination 2001;139:65-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(01)00295-8
- Epolitoa WJ, Lee YH, Bottomleyb LA, Pavlostathis SG. Characterization of the textile anthraquinone dye reactive blue 4. Dyes and Pigments 2005;67:35-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2004.10.006
- Lee J, Ren X, Yu HW, Kim SJ, Kim IS. Membrane biofouling of seawater reverse osmosis initiated by Sporogenic Bacillus strain. Environ. Eng. Res. 2010;15:141-147. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2010.15.3.141