- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A 2.65 GHz Doherty Power Amplifier Using Internally-Matched GaN-HEMT
내부정합된 GaN-HEMT를 이용한 2.65 GHz Doherty 전력증폭기
Kang, Hyunuk;Lee, Hwiseob;Lim, Wonseob;Kim, Minseok;Lee, Hyoungjun;Yoon, Jeongsang;Lee, Dongwoo;Yang, Youngoo
- Received : 2015.11.11
- Accepted : 2016.01.26
- Published : 2016.03.31
This paper presents a 2.65 GHz Doherty power amplifier with internally-matched GaN HEMT. Internal matching circuits were adopted to match its harmonic impedances inside the package. Simultaneously, due to the partially matched fundamental impedance, input and output matching networks become simpler. Bond wires and parasitic elements of transistor package were predicted by EM simulation. For the LTE signal with 6.5 dB PAPR, the implemented Doherty power amplifier shows a power gain of 13.0 dB, a saturated output power of 55.4 dBm, an efficiency of 49.1 %, and ACLR of -26.3 dBc at 2.65 GHz with an operating voltage of 48 V.
GaN-HEMT;Doherty Power Amplifier;Internal Matching Circuit;Package
- J. Son, Y. Park, I. Kim, J. Moon, and B. Kim, "Broadband saturated power amplifier with harmonic control circuits", IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 2013-2015, Mar. 2014.
- J. Staudinger, P. Hart, and D. Holmes, "Behavioral modeling of Si LDMOS pre-matched devices with application to Doherty power amplifiers", in Power Amplifiers for Wireless and Radio Applications(PAWR), 2012 IEEE Topical Conf. on, pp. 89-92, Jan. 2012.
- H. Deguchi, N. Ui, K. Ebihara, K. Inoue, N. Yoshimura, and H. Takahashi, "A 33 W GaN HEMT Doherty amplifier with 55 % drain efficiency for 2.6 GHz base stations", in Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., pp. 1273-1276, Jun. 2009.
- A. Maekawa, T. Yamamoto, E. Mitani, and S. Sano, "A 500 W push-pull AlGaN/GaN HEMT amplifier for Lband high power application", in Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., pp. 722-725, Jun. 2006.
- J. Cheron, M. Campovecchio, D. Barataud, T. Reveyrand, M. Stanislawiak, and P. Eudeline, "Harmonic control in package of power GaN transistors for high efficiency and wideband performances in S-band", in European Microw. Conf. pp. 1111-1114, Oct. 2011.
- J. Cheron, M. Campovecchio, D. Barataud, T. Reveyrand, M. Stanislawiak, P. Eudeline, and D. Floriot, "Over 70 % PAE packaged GaN HEMT through wideband internal matching at second harmonic in S-band", Electron Lett, vol. 48, Issue 13, pp. 770-772, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2012.1654
- S. Miwa, Y. Kamo, Y. Kittaka, T. Yamasaki, Y. Tsukahara, T. Tanii, M. Kohno, S. Goto, and A. Shima, "A 67 % PAE, 100 W GaN power amplifier with on-chip harmonic tuning circuit for C-band space applications", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., WE3D-1, Jun. 2011.
- H. Otsuka, K. Yamanaka, H. Noto, Y. Tsuyama, S. Chaki, A. Inoue, and M. Miyazaki, "Over 57 % efficiency C-band GaN HEMT high power amplifier with internal harmonic manipulation circuits", IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., pp. 311-314, Jun. 2008.
- M. Kimura, K. Yamauchi, K. Yamanaka, H. Noto, E. Kuwata, H. Otsuka, A. Inoue, Y. Kamo, and M. Miyazaki, "GaN X-band 43 % internally-matched FET with 60 W output power", in Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., pp. 1-4, 2008.
- Y. Yang, J. Yi, Y. Woo, and B. Kim, "Optimum design for linearity and efficiency of microwave Doherty amplifier using a new load matching technique", Microw J., vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 20-36, Dec. 2001.
- H. Park, J. Van, M. Kim, H. Cho, S. Kwon, J. Jeong, K. Lim, C. Park, and Y. Yang, "A new compact load network for Doherty amplifiers using an imperfect quarter- wave line", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 2313-2319, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2007.907399
- G. Ahn, M. Kim, H. Park, S. Jung, J. Van, H. Cho, S. Kwon, J. Jeong, K. Lim, J. Kim, S. Song, C. Park, and Y. Yang, "Design of a high-efficiency and high-power inverted Doherty amplifier", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1105-1111, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2007.896807
- M. Seo, M. Song, J. Gu, H. Kim, J. Ham, C. Park, and Y. Yang, "Three-stage Doherty amplifier with uneven input splitter", Microw. and Opt. Techn. Lett, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1405-1409, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.27581
- J. Kwon, M. Seo, H. Lee, J. Gu, J. Ham, K. Hwang, K. Lee, C. Park, and Y. Yang, "Broadband Doherty power amplifier based on asymmetric load matching networks", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II Exp. Briefs, vol. 62, no. 6, pp.533-537, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2015.2407197
- D. Jang, J. Kim, and J. Kim, "46-W high efficiency unbalanced Doherty power amplifier in extended output power back-off", Microw. and Opt. Techn. Lett, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1612-1614, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.26865
- S. Chun, D. Jang, J. Kim, and J. Kim, "Inverted asymmetric Doherty power amplifier driven by two-stage symmetric Doherty amplifier", Electron Lett, vol. 46, no. 17, pp. 1208-1209, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2010.1708
- N. Ui, H. Sano, and S. Sano, "A 80 W 2-stage GaN HEMT Doherty amplifier with —50 dBc ACLR, 42 % efficiency 32 dB gain with DPD for W-CDMA base station", in IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., pp. 1259-1262, Aug. 2007.
- H. Deguchi, N. Watanabe, A. Kawano, N. Yoshimura, N. Ui, and K. Ebihara, "A 2.6 GHz band 537W peak power GaN HEMT asymmetric Doherty amplifier with 48 % drain efficiency at 7 dB", in IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., pp. 1-3, Jun. 2012.
- N. Yoshimura, H. Umeta, N. Watanabe, H. Deguchi, and N. Ui, "A 2.5-2.7 GHz broadband 40W GaN HEMT Doherty amplifier with higher than 45 % drain efficiency for multi-band application", in Power Amplifiers for Wireless and Radio Applications(PAWR), 2012 IEEE Topical conf. on, pp.53-56, Jan. 2012.
Supported by : Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy(MI)