- Volume 33 Issue 1
Drop-shipping is a commonly adopted online-order fulfillment strategy in the Internet age. In this practice, online retailers leverage the fulfillment capabilities of suppliers to fulfill orders. On the other hand, purchase dependence is a frequent phenomenon and is characterized by the purchase of certain items together due to their unknown interior associations. Although this concept has been significantly examined in the marketing field (e.g. market basket analysis), it has largely remained unaddressed in operations management. This paper develops an (R, T) model to address an environment in which unmet demand orders are partially lost and partially backordered when purchase dependence exists. The partial backorders are fulfilled by a drop-shipping option. Through computational analyses, this paper demonstrates the effect of both drop shipping on a partial backordering and purchase dependence. The results shows that more profit can be realized by utilizing a drop-shipping option under purchase dependence.
Inventory;Partial Backordering;Drop-Shipping;Purchase Dependence
- Agatz, N.A.H., M. Fleischmann, and J.A.E.E. van Nunen, "E-fulfillment and multi-channel distribution :a review," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.187, No.2(2008), pp.339-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2007.04.024
- 박창규, "구매종속성을 고려한 부분 부재고 재고모형", 한국경영과학회지, 제39권, 제1호(2014), pp/83-100.
- 박창규, 서준용, "구매종속성이 재고관리에 미치는 영향", 경영과학, 제3권, 제3호(2013), pp.17-31.
- Ayanso, A., M. Diaby, and S.K. Nair, "Inventory rationing via drop-shipping in Internet retailing : a sensitivity analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.171, No1(2006), pp.135-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.07.060
- Bailey, J.P. and E. Rabinovich, "Internet book retailing and supply chain management :an analytical study of inventory location speculation and postponement," Transportation Research Part E, Vol.41, No.3(2005), pp.159-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2004.03.004
- Bala, P.K., "An inventory replenishment model under purchase dependencyin retail sale," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol.37, No.10(2012), pp.43-48. https://doi.org/10.5120/4648-6722
- Bala, P.K., "Identification of purchase dependencies in retail sale," International Journal of Strategic Management, Vol.8, No.2 (2008), pp.75-83.
- Bala, P.K., S. Sural, and R.N. Banerjee, "Association rule for purchasedependence in multi-item inventory," Production Planning and Control, Vol.21, No.3(2010), pp.274-285. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537280903326578
- Biyalogorsky, E. and P. Naik, "Clicks and mortar :the effect ofon-line activities on off-line sales," Marketing Letters, Vol.14, No.1(2003), pp.21-32. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022854017292
- Chen, J., Y. Chen, M. Parlar, and Y. Xiao, "Optimal inventory and admission policies for drop-shipping retailers serving in-store and online customers," IIE Transactions, Vol.43, No.5(2011), pp.332-347. https://doi.org/10.1080/0740817X.2010.540637
- De Koster, R.M.B.M., "Distribution strategies for online retailers," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.50, No.4(2003), pp.448-457. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2003.820135
- Gulati, R. and J. Garino, "Get the right mix of bricks and clicks," Harvard Business Review, Vol.78, No.3(2000), pp.107-114.
- Hadley, G. and T.M. Whitin, Analysis of Inventory Systems, Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, 1963.
- Hovelague, V., L.G. Soler, and S. Hafsa, "Supply chain organization and e-commerce : a model to analyze store-picking," warehouse-picking and drop-shipping 4OR, Vol.5, No.2(2007), pp.143-155. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10288-006-0013-5
- Khouja, M. and A.C. Stylianou, "A (Q, R) inventory model with a drop-shipping option for e-business," Omega, Vol.37, No.4 (2009), pp.896-908. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2008.07.002
- Khouja, M., "The evaluation of drop shipping option for e-commerce retailers," Computer and Industrial Engineering, Vol.41, No.2(2001), pp.109-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(01)00046-8
- Lee, C.C. and W.H.J. Chu, "Who should control inventory in a supply chain?," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.164, No.1(2005), pp.158-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2003.11.009
- Netessine, S. and N. Rudi, "Supply chain choice on the Internet," Management Science, Vol.52, No.6(2006), pp.844-864. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0512
- Pentico, D.W. and M.J. Drake, "The deterministic EOQ with partial backordering : A new approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.194, No.1(2009), pp. 102-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2007.12.004
- Randall, T., S. Netessine, and N. Rudi, "An empirical examination of the decision to invest in fulfillment capabilities :a study of Internet retailers," Management Science, Vol.52, No.4(2006), pp.567-580. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1050.0493
- Randall, T., S. Netessine, and N. Rudi, "Should you take the virtual fulfillment path?," Supply Chain Management Review, Vol.6, No.6(2002), pp.54-58.
- Steinfield, C., H. Bouwman, and T. Adelaar, "The dynamics of Click-and-Mortar electronic commerce :opportunities and management strategies," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.7, No.1(2002), pp. 93-119. https://doi.org/10.1080/10864415.2002.11044254
- Tsai, C.Y., C.Y. Tsai, and P.W. Huang, "An association clustering algorithm for can-order policies in the joint replenishment problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.117, No.1(2009), pp.30-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.08.056
- Xiao, Y., F.Y. Chen, and J. Chen, "Optimal inventory and dynamic admission policies for a retailer of seasonal products with affiliate programs and drop-shipping," Naval Research Logistics, Vol.6, No.4(2009), pp. 300-317.
- Yao, D.Q., H. Kurata, and S.K. Mukhopadhyay, "Incentives to reliable order fulfillment for an Internet drop-shipping supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.113, No.1(2008), pp.324-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2007.09.002
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국연구재단