- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Correlations between Axial Rotation of Toric Soft Contact Lenses and Corneal Eccentricity according to the Wearing Time and Gaze Directions
착용시간 및 응시방향에 따른 토릭소프트콘택트렌즈의 축 회전과 각막이심률과의 상관관계
- Received : 2016.02.03
- Accepted : 2016.03.11
- Published : 2016.03.31
Purpose: The present study was aimed to investigate the effect of corneal eccentricity on the axial rotation when wearing toric soft contact lenses were worn for certain time and changing the gaze directions. Methods: Toric soft contact lenses with double thin zone design applied on 85 of with-the-rule astigmatic eyes. Then, rotational direction and amount of contact lenses were measured after 15 minutes and 6 hours of lens wear. The difference was further compared and analyzed according to corneal eccentricity. Results: The rotation of toric lens showed a tendency to rotate to temporal direction in all gaze directions except temporal-upper direction in all groups of corneal eccentricity. The amount of lens rotation in the frontal gaze direction exhibited a negative correlation since the amount was decreased with increasing corneal eccentricity after both 15 minutes and 6 hours of lens wearing. In many cases, the cornea with small eccentricity also showed the lens rotation larger than
Double thin zone design;Corneal eccentricity;Toric soft contact lens;Rotational direction;Rotational amount
- Haeqerstrom-Portnoy G, Schneck ME, Brabyn JA, Lott LA. Development of refractive errors into old age. Optom Vis Sci. 2002;79(10):643-649. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-200210000-00010
- Morgan PB, Efron N, Woods CA. An international survey of toric contact lens prescribing. Eye Contact Lens. 2013;39(2):132-137. https://doi.org/10.1097/ICL.0b013e318268612c
- Morgan PB, Efron N. A decade of contact lens prescribing trends in the United Kingdom (1996-2005). Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2006;29(2):59-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2006.02.008
- Kim JH, Kim IS. A study on the relationship between the disc of least confusion and corrected vision of astigmatism. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2008;13(2):51-57.
- Kim JH, Kang SA. A study on the relationship between the off-axis cylinder and corrected vision of astigmatism. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2007;12(3):83-87.
- Nilsson M, Stevenson SB, Leach N, Bergmanson JP, Brautaset RL. Vertical imbalance induced by prism-ballasted soft toric contact lenses fitted unilaterally. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2008;28(2):157-162. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-1313.2008.00538.x
- Timberlake GT, Doane MG, Bertera JH. Short term, lowcontrast visual acuity reduction associated with in vivo contact lens drying. Optom Vis Sci. 1992;69:755-760. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-199210000-00002
- Efron N, Morgan PB, Helland M, Itoi M, Jones D, Nichols JJ et al. Soft toric contact lens prescribing in different countries. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2011;34(1):36-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2010.08.009
- Reddy T, Szczotka LB, Roberts C. Peripheral corneal contour measured by topography influences soft toric contact lens fitting success. CLAO J. 2000;26(4):180-185.
- Park HM, Park K, Kim SR, Park M. A correlation between axis-rotation and corneal eccentricity in toric soft contact lens fitting in with-the-rule astigmatism. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(3):305-313. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.3.305
- Young G. Ocular sagittal height and soft contact lens fitting. J Brit Cont Lens Assoc. 1992;15(1):45-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-7037(92)80031-T
- Kim JH. A correlation of corneal eccentricity and corneal type in RGP lens fitting. MS Thesis. Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Seoul. 2013:28.
- Park EH, Kim SR, Park M. A relationship between corneal eccentricity and stable centration of RGP lens on cornea. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(4):373-380.
- Park HM, Kim SR, Park M. A Correlation between axisrotation and corneal astigmatism in toric soft contact lens fitting. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(2):189-198. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.2.189
- Park EH, Kim SR, Park M. The comparison of fluorescein patterns between spherical RGP lens and aspherical RGP lens by corneal type and astigmatic degree. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(1):37-45.
- Gasson A, Morris J. The contact lens manual, 3rd Ed. London: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003;126.
- Young G, Hunt C, Covey M. Clinical evaluation of factors influencing toric soft contact lens fit. Optom Vis Sci. 2002;79(1):11-19.
- Truong TN, Graham AD, Lin MC. Factors in contact lenssymptoms: evidence from a multistudy database. OptomVis Sci. 2013;91(2):133-141.