- Volume 21 Issue 1
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the change of contrast sensitivity by prescribing tinted lenses and to provide the clinical manual. Methods: Contrast sensitivity was measured for twenty adults with normal vision while they wore yellow, orange and green tinted lenses. To measure contrast sensitivity, the 5 spatial frequencies (2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 cpd) were used for 33 ms and 233 ms, respectively. Results: The contrast sensitivity was overall higher with 233 ms than 33 ms (p<0.05). The peaks of contrast sensitivity with 33 ms and 233 ms were 1.75 log unit with the yellow lens and 1. 85 log unit without the color respectively. However, there was no significance between the yellow and orange tinted lens (p>0.64) Conclusions: Yellowish tinted lens that reduces chromatic aberration and the scattering is prescribed for the various purposes to improve visual functions. Before prescribing tinted lens, identifying characteristic of user and tinted lens for cut off wavelengths is recommended.
Tinted lens;Color vision;Cut off wavelengths;Spatial frequency;Contrast sensitivity;Improvement of visual function
- Benardete EA, Kaplan E. The dynamics of primate M retinal ganglion cells. Vis Neurosci. 1999;16(2):355-368.
- Steward JM, Cole BL. What do color vision defectives say about everyday tasks?. Optom Vis Sci. 1989;66(5): 288-295. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-198905000-00006
- De Valois KK, Switkes E. Simultaneous masking interactions between chromatic and luminance gratings. J Opt Soc Am. 1983;73(1):11-18. https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.73.000011
- Ostergaard AL, Davidoff JB. Some effects of color on naming and recognition of objects. J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn. 1985;11(3):579-587. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-7322.214.171.1249
- Biederman I, Ju G. Surface versus edge-based determinants of visual recognition. Cogn Psychol. 1988;20(1):38-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0285(88)90024-2
- Kaiser PK. Colour vision in the legally blind. Can J Ophthalmol. 1972;7(3):302-308.
- Knowlton M, Woo I. Assessment of functional color perception. J Vis Rehab. 1989;3(2):5-22.
- Vuilleumier P, Armony JL, Driver J, Dolan RJ. Distinct spatial frequency sensitivities for processing faces and emotional expressions. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6(6):624-631. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn1057
- Tyler CW, McBride B. The morphonome image psychophysics software and a calibrator for Macintosh systems. Spat Vis. 1997;10(4):479-484. https://doi.org/10.1163/156856897X00410
- Campbell FW, Robson JG. Application of fourier analysis to the visibility of gratings. J Physiol. 1968;197(3):551-566. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1968.sp008574
- Shaik M, Majola PD, Nkgare LM, Nene NB, Singh C, Hansraj R et al. The effect of tinted spectacle lenses on contrast sensitivity and colour vision. S Afr Optom. 2013;72(2):61-70.
- Wolffsohn JS, Chochrane AL, Khoo H, Yoshimitsu Y, Wu S. Contrast is enhanced by yellow lenses because of selective reduction of short-wavelength light. Optom Vis Sci. 2000;77(2):73-81.
- Hammond BR Jr, Curran-Celentano J, Judd S, Fuld K, Krinsky NI, Wooten BR et al. Sex differences in macular pigment optical density: relation to plasma carotenoid concentrations and dietary patterns. Vision Res. 1996; 36(13):2001-2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/0042-6989(95)00290-1
- McGuinness D, Lewis I. Sex differences in visual persistence: experiments in the Ganzfield and afterimages. Perception. 1976;5(3):295-301. https://doi.org/10.1068/p050295
- Derrington AM, Krauskopf J, Lennie P. Chromatic mechanisms in lateral geniculate nucleus of macaque. J Physiol. 1984;357:241-265. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1984.sp015499
- De Valois RL, Cottaris NP, Elfar SD, Mahon LE, Wilson JA. Some transformations of color information from lateral geniculate nucleus to striate cortex. Proc Nati Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97(9):4997-5002. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.97.9.4997