- Volume 58 Issue 2
Korea has 17,500 irrigation dams and facing variety of causes that jeopardize dam safety. With limited resources available to manage large inventory, a portfolio risk analysis application method for numerous irrigation dam safety is essential. The purpose of this study is to find an optimum way to adopt the risk analysis to the large number of irrigation dams in Korea and to propose the portfolio risk analysis process for irrigation dams. In this study, the necessity of the risk analysis for reservoirs safety has been suggested and a phased process using pre-screening and screening methodology has been proposed. This proposed procedure will help to effectively introduce the risk analysis for reservoirs safety in Korea.
Risk;Portfolio Risk Analysis;Irrigation dams;Dam Safety
- Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) and Corps of Engineers (USACE)., 2012. Introduction of Best Practices in Dam and Levee Safety Risk Analysis, 8.
- Choi, B. H., 2015. Development of Safety Evaluation Tool for Reservoirs Based Risk Assessment Models, 70-82.
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)., 2013. Guide to risk assessment for reservoir safety management, 2: 72-73.
- Fell, R., M. Foster, R. Davidson, J. Cyganiewicz, G. Sills, and N. Vroman, 2008. A Unified Method for Estimating Probabilities of Failure of Embankment Dams by Internal Erosion and Piping. URS Australia Pty Ltd. Sydney, Australia. [Prepared for the US Bureau of Reclamation]
- FEMA., 2004. Hazard Potential Classification System for Dams, 9.
- FEMA., 2008. Risk Prioritization Tool for Dams Users Manual, 3-3-3-16.
- Foster, M. A., R., Spannagle, M. Spannagle, 2000. The Statistics of Embankment Dam Failures and Accidents. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 37(5): 1000-1024. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-030
- Heo, G., 2014. Introduction of Dam Safety Management Using Risk Analysis, Rural Community and Environment, 122: 98-106.
- MAFRA., 2012. Statistical Yearbook of Land and Water development for Agriculture, 502-507.
- McClenathan, Jeffrey T., 2007. Update for screening portfolio risk analysis for U.S. Army Corps of engineers, 1355-1361.
- Scott, G. A., 2011. The Practical Application of Risk Assessment to Dam Safety, Geo risk 2011, 129-168.
- USACE., 2010. Event Tree Session of Risk Technology Workshop, 25.