- Volume 58 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Safety Evaluation of Agricultural Reservoirs due to Raising Embankment by Field Monitoring and Numerical Analysis
현장계측과 수치해석에 의한 농업용저수지 제체의 안정성 평가
- Received : 2016.01.21
- Accepted : 2016.03.03
- Published : 2016.03.31
This study analyzed pore water pressure, earth pressure and settlement through field monitoring on the project site in which raising embankments are being built through backside extension, and compared the behaviors of seepage analysis, slope stability analysis and stress-strain during flood water levels and rapid drawdown under steady state and transient condition. The variation of pore water pressure showed an increase during the later period in both upstream and downstream slope, with downstream slope more largely increased than upstream slope overall. The variation of earth pressure increased according to the increase of embankment heights, while the change largely showed in the upstream slope, it was slowly increased in the downstream slope. The settlements largely increased until 23 m as embankment heights increased, and showed very little settlement overall. Under a steady state and transient conditions, the seepage quantity per day and leakage quantity per 100 m of embankment against total storage were shown to be stable for piping. The hydraulic gradient at the core before and after raising embankments was greater than the limit hydraulic gradient, showing instability for piping. The safety factor of upstream and downstream slopes were shown to be very large at a steady state, while the upstream slopes greatly decreased at a transit conditions, downstream slopes did not show any significant changes. The horizontal settlements, the maximum shear strain and stress are especially distributed at the connecting portion of the existing reservoir and the new extension of backside. Accordingly, the backside extension method should be designed and reinforced differently from the cases of other types reservoirs.
Reservoir;Pore water pressure;Earth pressure;Settlement;Field monitoring;Backside extension;Seepage analysis;Slope stability
- Chang, D. S., Y. S. Kim, Y. W. Choo, and E. S. Im, 2013. Embankment protection method against overflow by flood in reservoir. Journal of KOSHAM 13(1): 191-198 (in Korean).
- Chapuis, R. P., and M. Aubertin, 2001. A simplified method to estimate saturated and unsaturated seepage through dikes under steady state conditions. Can. Geotech. J. 38: 1321-1328. https://doi.org/10.1139/t01-068
- Costa, L. M., and E. E. Alonso, 2009. Predicting the behavior of an earth and rockfill dam under construction. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvirnmental Engineering 135(7): 851-862. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000058
- Duncan, J. M., 1993. Limitations of conventional analysis of consolidation settlement. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. ASCE 119(9): 1331-1359. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1993)119:9(1331)
- Fell, R., C. F. Wan, J. Cyganiewicz, and M. Foster, 2003. Time for development of internal erosion and piping in embankment dams. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvirnmental Engineering 129(4): 307-314. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:4(307)
- Foster, M. A., R. Fell, and M. Spannagle, 2000. The statistics of embankment dam failures and accidents. Can. Geotechnical Journal 37(5): 1000-1024. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-030
- Fread, D. L., 1977. The development and testing of dam-break flood forecasting model. Proceeding of the dam-break flood routing workshop water resources council.
- Fredlund, D. G., and A. Xing, 1994. Equations for the soil-water characteristic curve. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 31: 521-532. https://doi.org/10.1139/t94-061
- GEO-SLOPE, 2007. SEEP/W, SLOPE/W. GEO-SLOPE International Ltd.
- Im, E. S., M. W. Seo, I. S. Ha, and W. G. Kim, 2005. Simulation of earth-fill dam behavior subjected to water level variation using geotechnical centrifuge. The Korean Society of Civil Engineers Journal 25(2): 95-102 (in Korean).
- Jeong, S. T., 2002. Seepage analysis of sea dike under unsteady state. Journal of technological review 22: 23-25 (in Korean).
- Joo, Y. H., C. G. Yeo, and O. S. Lee, 2013. Retardation effect on the breach of the earth filled embankment using the stiffener during overtopping. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 33(4): 1377-1387 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.4.1377
- Kim, J. H., 2001. Analysis on embankment failure due to overflow. Korea Environmental Industry and Technology Institute 12(2): 97-107 (in Korean).
- Kim, M. H., and D. W. Lee, 2009. Safety evaluation of reservoir embankment by instrument system. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 51(6): 33-43 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y. I., K. S. Yeon, K. S. Kim, J. W. Jeong, and Y. S. Kim, 2011. An experimental study of reservoir failure phenomena according to transitional zone: spillway scour during overflow. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 53(2): 27-33 (in Korean).
- Korea Rural Community Corporation (KRC), 2011. The project of raising embankment of agricultural reservoir. http://www.ekr.or.kr (in Korean).
- Korea Rural Community Corporation (KRC), 2011. Guidelines for reservoirs precision safety inspections (in Korean).
- Korea Rural Community Corporation (KRC), 2011. The reports for geotechnical test of 00 project district agricultural reservoir (in Korean).
- Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers (KSAE), 2013. Rural resources, Magazine of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(3): 5-50 (in korean).
- Kumar, C., and P. Sreeja, 2012. Evaluation of selected equations for predicting scour at downstream of ski-jump spillway using laboratory and field data. Engineering Geology 129: 98-103.
- Lee, D. W., and Y. H. Lee, 2012. Behavior of pore water pressure of agricultural reservoir according to raising embankment. Journal of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(3): 11-17 (in Korean).
- Lee, D. W., and J. J. Noh, 2014. Behavior of failure agricultural reservoirs embankment reinforced by geotextile under overtopping condition. Journal of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(2): 59-64 (in Korean).
- Min, H. G., and D. W. Lee, 2008. Prediction of excess pore water pressure of reservoir embankment on soft ground, J. of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers, 50(2): 37-44 (in Korean).
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (MLTM), 2011. The 4 major rivers restoration. http://4rivers.go.kr (in Korean).
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA), Korea Rural Community Corporation (KRC), 2013. Statistical yearbook of land and water development for agriculture (in Korean).
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA), 2002. Agricultural infrastructure fill dam design standards (in Korean).
- Minister of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (MLTM), 2011. Guidelines for dam design (in Korean).
- Noh, J. J., and D. W. Lee, 2014. Behavior of failure for embankment and spillway transitional zone of agriculture reservoirs due to overtopping. Journal of Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(1): 71-79 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.1.071
- Squier, L. R., 1970. Load transfer in earth and rock fill dams. Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division. ASCE 96 (SM1): 213-233.
- Sun, Y., H. Chang, Z. Miao, and D. Zhong, 2012. Solution method of overtopping risk model for earth dams. Safety Science 50: 1906-1911. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2012.05.006
- Van Genuchten, M. T., 1980. A Closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44: 892-898. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1980.03615995004400050002x
- Yungsung ENG Corporation, 2015. The reports of instrument management of 00 project district agricultural reservoir (in Korean).
Supported by : 충남대학교, 한국연구재단