- Volume 58 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Uncertainty Analysis of Future Design Floods for the Yongdang Reservoir Watershed using Bootstrap Technique
Bootstrap 기법을 이용한 용당 저수지 유역의 미래 설계홍수량 불확실성 평가
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.29
- Published : 2016.03.31
To estimate design floods for hydraulic structures, statistical methods has been used in the analysis of rainfall data. However, due to the lack of rainfall data in some regions, it is difficult to apply the statistical methods for estimation of design rainfall. In addition, increased uncertainty of design rainfall arising from the limited rainfall data can become an important factor for determining the design floods. The main objective of this study was to assess the uncertainty of the future design floods under RCP (representative concentration pathways) scenarios using a bootstrap technique. The technique was used in this study to quantify the uncertainty in the estimation of the future design floods. The Yongdang watershed in South Korea, 2,873 ha in size, was selected as the study area. The study results showed that the standard errors of the basin of Yongdang reservoir were calculated as 2.0~6.9 % of probable rainfall. The standard errors of RCP4.5 scenario were higher than the standard errors of RCP8.5 scenario. As the results of estimation of design flood, the ranges of peak flows considered uncertainty were 2.3~7.1 %, and were different each duration and scenario. This study might be expected to be used as one of guidelines to consider when designing hydraulic structures.
Agricultural watershed;RCP;design flood;uncertainty analysis;Bootstrap technique
- Efron, B., 1979. Bootstrap methods : another look at the jackknife, Annals of Statistics 7: 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1214/aos/1176344552
- Efron, B., and R. J. Tibshirani, 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap, Chapman & Hall/CRC.
- Efron, B., 2003. Second Thoughts on the Bootstrap, Statistical Science 18(2): 135-140. https://doi.org/10.1214/ss/1063994968
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), 2013. Summary for policymakers. In: Climate change 2013: The physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fifth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Iwashima, T., and R. Yamamoto, 1993. A statistical analysis of the extreme events: long-term trend of heavy daily precipitation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 71: 637-640. https://doi.org/10.2151/jmsj1965.71.5_637
- Jeong, J. H., and Y. N. Yoon, 2007. Water Resource Design Practice, Seoul: Goomibook (in Korean).
- Jo, D. J., and B. H. Jeon, 2012. Analysis on the characteristics of exceeding probability rainfall events. Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 12(2): 309-313 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2012.12.2.309
- Karl, T. R., and R. W. Knight (1998), Secular trends of precipitation amount, frequency, and intensity in the United States, Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 79: 231-241. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1998)079<0231:STOPAF>2.0.CO;2
- Kim, J. H., H. R. Cho, Y. S. Cho, 2014. Projection of climate change with uncertainties: 1. GCM and RCP uncertainties, Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 14(5): 317-327 (in Korean).
- Korea Rural Community Corporation (KRC), 2010. General plan of heightening business for irrigation dam in Yongdang district (in Korean).
- Lee, J. S., 2007. Runoff analysis of reservoir basin using HEC-HMS, Hanbat University Journal 24: 39-48 (in Korean).
- Lee, K. H., H. S. Kim, S. J. Kim, B. S. Kim, 2010. Estimation of flash flood guidance considering uncertainty of rainfall-runoff model, Journal of wetlands research 12(3): 155-163 (in Korean).
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport (MOLIT), 2012. Design flood estimation guidelines (in Korean).
- National Institute of Meteorological Research (NIMR), 2012. Climate change scenario report corresponding IPCC 5th assessment report (in Korean).
- Ryu, J. H., M. S. Kang, I. Song, J. Park, J. H. Song, S. M. Jun, K. Kim, 2015. Estimation of design flood for the Gyeryong Reservoir watershed based on RCP scenarios, Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(1): 47-57 (in Korean).
- Seo, Y. M., 2011. Flood risk analysis in water resources planning -flood risk analysis with consideration of rainfall uncertainty, Ph.D. diss., Gyeongsan, Republic of Korea: Yeungnam University (in Korean).
- Wagener, T., N. McIntyre, M. J. Lees, H. S. Wheater, H. V. Gupta, 2003. Towards reduced uncertainty in conceptual rainfall-runoff modelling: Dynamic identifiability analysis, Hydrol. Process. 17: 455-476. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.1135
- Yun, Y. N., H. S. Kim, M. J. Park, S. D. Kim, 2000. Plan of flood damage mitigation considered uncertainty analysis, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 33(1): 382-387 (in Korean).
Supported by : 한국연구재단