- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Place of Complementary Medicine in the Treatment of Autistic Children
- Konac, Ozgur Taskiran (Mugla Sitki Kocman University Faculty of Tourism) ;
- Baldemir, Ercan (Department of Biostatistic, Mugla Sitki Kocman University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Inanc, Betul Battaloglu (Department of Family Medicine, Mugla Sitki Kocman University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Kara, Bilge (Department of Psychiatry, Mugla Sitki Kocman University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Topal, Yasar (Department of Pediatry, Mugla Sitki Kocman University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Topal, Hatice (Department of Pediatry, Mugla Sitki Kocman University Faculty of Medicine)
- Received : 2015.10.05
- Accepted : 2015.11.26
- Published : 2016.03.31
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to achieve a vision for autistic children and their parents aimed at generating interest in ideas such as "Sanitas Per Aquam" (SPA), massage and music therapy, which has begun to have widespread use and to attract attention. Methods: This cross-sectional, descriptive study was carried out with autistic children and their parents from February to April 2015 in
- Ozbaran B. [Do enviromental factors have influence on autism spectrum disorder?]. J Pediatr Res. 2014;1(4):170-3. Turkish. https://doi.org/10.4274/jpr.44153
- Ozoren SG. [Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and gazing through the evidence window to ASD]. ACU Healt Sci J. 2013;4(2):57-63.Turkish.
- Ozturk MA. [Application of TEACCH in physical education and sports]. Dicle University Journal of Ziya Gokalp Faculty of Education. 2012;19:259-68. Turkish.
- Zanelli G, Cappa P, Petrarca M, Berthoz A. Vestibular and proprioseptive estimation of imposed rotation and spatial updating in standing subjects. Gait Posture. 2011;33(4):582-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2011.01.013
- Yanardag M, Yilmaz I. [An intervention approach for children with Autism: Aquatherapy]. INT-JECSE. 2012;4(1):32-45. Turkish.
- Williams JG, Higgins JP, Brayne CE. Systematic review of prevalence studies of autism spectrum disorders. Arch Dis Child. 2006;91(1):8-15. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2004.062083
- Fisher AG, Murray EA. Introduction to sensory integration theory. Philadelphia: FA Davis Company; 1991. p. 3-26.
- Kranowitz CS. The out-of-sync child. NewYork: Perigee Books; 2003. p. 2-17.
- Gungor S, Erdal SM, Ozdin D. [Biophysical methods used to assess the structure and the permeability of skin]. Turkish Clinics of Journal of Dermatology. 2011;21(1):25-39. Turkish.
- Inanc BB. A new theory on the evaluation of traditional Chinese acupuncture mechanisms from the latest medical scientific point of view. Acupunct Electrother Res. 2015;40(3):189-204. https://doi.org/10.3727/036012915X14473562232987
- Brondino N, Fusar-Poli L, Rocchetti M, Provenzi U, Barale F, Politi P. Complementary and alternative therapies for autism spectrum disorder. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015;ID258589.
- Lofthouse N, Hendren R, Hurt E, Arnold LE, Butter E. A review of complementary and alternative treatments for autism spectrum disorders. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:ID870391.
- Hegde S. Music based cognitive remediation therapy for patients with traumatic brain injury. Front Neurol. 2014;5:ID00034.
- Pichler A, Pichler M. Music therapy in cancer patients: factor fiction. Future Oncol. 2014;10(15):2409-11. https://doi.org/10.2217/fon.14.181
- Krajnik J, Kollndorfer K, Notter LA, Mueller CA, Schopf V. The impact of olfactory dysfunction on interoceptive awareness. Psychophysiology. 2015;52(2):263-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/psyp.12316
- Jaen C, Dalton P. Asthma and odors: the role of risk perseption in asthma exacerbation. J Psychosom Res. 2014;77(4):302-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2014.07.002
- Butti E, Cusimano M, Bacigaluppi M, Martino G. Neurogenic and non-neurogenic functions of endogenous neural stem cells. Front Neurosci. 2014;8:ID00092.
- Menini A. The neurogiology of olfaction. Florida: CRC Press; 2010. p. 267-305.
- Amaral DG, Schumann CM, Nordahl CW. Neuroanatomy of autism. Trends Neurosci. 2008;31(3):137-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tins.2007.12.005
- Suretta S. Vohra S. The PedCAM network: past, present and future. Complement Ther Med. 2013;21:70-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2011.03.002
- Valicenti-McDermott M, Burrows B, Bernstein L, Hottinger K, Lawson K, Seijo R, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with autism and other developmental disabilities: associations with ethnicity, child comorbid symptoms, and parental stres. J Child Neurol. 2014;29(3):360-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/0883073812474489
- Perrin MJ, Coury DL, Hyman SL, Cole L, Reynolds AM, Clemons T. Complementary and alternative medicine use in a large pediatric autism sample. Pediatrics. 2012;130(2):77-82. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-0900E
- Shamos MH, Lavine LS. Piezoelectricity as a fundamental property of biological tissues. Nature. 1967;213(5073):267-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/213267a0
- Lang SB, Tofail SA, Kholkin AL, Wojtas M, Gregor M, Gandhi AA, et al. A ferroelectric polarization in nanaocrystalline hydroxyapatite thin films on silicon. Sci Rep. 2013;3(2215):1-6.