- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Suggestion of a Decision Support System for Implementing the Water Quality Trading Policy to Developing Urban Areas
개발예정 도시의 수질교환법 적용을 위한 정책결정 시스템 제시
- Received : 2016.03.04
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.31
There are many pilot programs and projects to implement the water quality trading (WQT) policy. But actual trading is relatively rare. The main reason of the scarce applications of WQT policy is the difficulty in determining the equalities between the trading sites. The uncertainty of the impacts of the nonpoint sources pollutant discharges between up and downstream urban development areas also makes the implementation of the policy harder. The simulated results from the watershed modeling program will be used to calculate the point and nonpoint sources pollutants of the future urban development scenarios. The amount of suspended sediments resulting from the urban developments and rainfall intensities will be used to indicate the environmental impacts of the water body between upstream and downstream. The water quality impacts after development scenarios to the outlet of the watershed were transferred to the trading units between two sites. The recommended trading units can be used as a decision support system for policy makers and stakeholders to carry out better WQT practices.
Decision support system;Trading Units;Urban development impact;Water quality modeling;Water Quality Trading Policy
- Aslan, A. 2009. Development and Application of Vegetative Buffer Width Modeling Using Geographic Information Systems. University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA.
- Bicknell, B.R., Imhoff, J.C., Kittle Jr., J.L., Jobes, T.H. and Donigian Jr., A.S. 2001. Hydrological Simulation Program - Fortran Version 12 User's Manual, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, National Exposure Research Laboratory, Athens, Georgia, USA.
- Donigian, A.S. 2002. Watershed model calibration and validation: The HSPF experience. Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation 8: 44-73.
- MCDED. 2010. Farmland Preservation in Montgomery County: Purchase of Development Rights Programs. Montgomery County Department of Economic Development, Derwood, Maryland, USA.
- Shin, Y.-S. 2010. Development of Implementation Methods of Water Quality Trading Policy: Using the Hydrological Simulation Program-Fortran (HSPF). Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA.
- USEPA. 2001. Better Assessment Science Integrating point and Nonpoint Sources 3.0 Users' Manual. EPA-823-B-01-001. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Water, Washington, D.C., USA.
- USEPA. 2003. Water Quality Trading. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C., USA.
- USEPA. 2004a. Protecting Water Resources with Smart Growth. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C., USA.
- USEPA. 2004b. Water Quality Trading Assessment Handbook. EPA-841-B-04-001, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Water, Washington, D.C., USA.
Supported by : 한국연구재단