- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Planning of Narrow-mouth Frog (Kaloula borealis) Habitat Restoration Using Habitat Suitability Index (HSI)
서식처 적합성 지수 (HSI)를 활용한 맹꽁이 서식처 복원 계획
- Received : 2016.02.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.31
Narrow-mouth frog (Kaloula borealis) is the only amphibian species of genus Kaloula living in South Korea. They are designated and managed as endangered class II wildlife by the Ministry of Environment, Korea. Therefore, there is a desperate need of a habitat restoration study to prevent the extinction of narrow-mouth frog. This study is primarily for the purpose of presenting the direction and practical applications to restore damaged narrow-mouth frog habitats or to suggest alternative habitat options. The habitat suitability index (HSI) of narrow-mouth frog was applied to the research area in Mokpo City of Jeollanam-do Province, in order to present a new narrow-mouth frog habitat. We analyzed the research area based on historical contexts, ecological environment, ecology, and habitat requirements. The research area was divided into the core, buffer, and transition zones according to UNESCO MAB (Man and Biosphere) to establish local land-use plans. As for the foundation of the plan, we divided the habitat composition of the core, where narrow-mouth frog live in, into wetland (spawning area), grassland (shelter and feeding grounds), and forestland (feeding ground). We had a comparative analysis of habitat suitability in pre and post planning of narrow-mouth frog habitat restoration. For the validation study of habitat restoration plans, the future research should be on the composition of test-bed, continuous monitoring, and scientific habitat maintenance.
Amphibian;Compensatory habitat;Ecological restoration;Endangered species;Habitat suitability index
- Gardner, T. 2001. Declining amphibian populations: a global phenomenon in conservation biology. Animal Biodiversity and Conservation 24: 25-44.
- Ko, S.B., Ko, Y.M. and Oh, H.S. 2011. Distribution of spawning site of Kaloula borealis in Jeju Island. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 25: 846-852. (in Korean)
- Korean Ministry of Environment. 2013. Environmental Impact Assessment Guideline for Creation and Management of Compensatory Habitat. Ministry of Environment, Gwacheon, Korea. (in Korean)
- National Capital Commission. 1982. Naturalization Project. National Capital Commission, Ottawa, Canada.
- Shim, Y.J. 2015. A Study on the Wildlife Habitat Restoration Model through Developing Habitat Suitability Index: Focusing on Narrow-mouth Frog (Kaloula borealis). Ph.D. Dissertation, Dankook University, Cheonan, Korea. (in Korean)
- Shim, Y.J., Cho, D.G., Park, S.H., Lee, D.J., Seo, Y.H., Kim, S.H., Kim, D.H., Ko, S.B., Cha, J.Y. and Sung, H.C. 2014. Development of habitat suitability index for habitat restoration of narrowmouth frog (Kaloula borealis). Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 17: 109-123. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2014.17.2.109
- Shim, Y.J., Cho, D.G., Hong, J.P., Kim, D.H., Park, Y.S. and Sung, H.C. 2015. Site selection of narrowmouth frog (Kaloula borealis) habitat restoration using habitat suitability index. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 18: 33-44. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2015.18.2.33
- Wake, D.B. and Vredenburg, V.T. 2008. Are we in the midst of the sixth mass extinction? A view from the world of amphibians. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105 (Supplement 1): 11466-11473. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0801921105
- Whiles, M.R., Lips, K.R., Pringle, C.M., Kilham, S.S., Bixby, R.J., Brenes, R., Connelly, S., Colon-Gaud, J.C., Hunte-Brown, M., Huryn, A.D., Montgomery, C. and Peterson, S. 2006. The effects of amphibian population declines on the structure and function of Neotropical stream ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 4: 27-34. https://doi.org/10.1890/1540-9295(2006)004[0027:TEOAPD]2.0.CO;2
Supported by : 환경부, 한국환경산업기술원