- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An empirical approach to analyzing effects of disease and activity limit on depression prevalence rate in the elderly depending on stress experience: KNHANES Data Analysis
스트레스 경험 유무에 따른 질병 및 활동제약이 고연령층 우울증에 미치는 영향에 관한연구: 국민건강영양조사 자료분석
- Received : 2015.10.21
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.03.31
Objectives: By using six years of KNHANES dataset (2008~2013) about 60 ages older people, we analyzed how the depression prevalence rate in the elderly is influenced by disease and activity limit. Especially, to add a sense of more reality, we adopted stress experience as a control variable to see how the depression prevalence rate in the elderly is influenced by disease and activity limit depending on the stress experience. Methods : We adopted six years of KNHANES dataset, indicating that our results were based on long period of time capable of considering temporal patterns in the depression prevalence rate in the elderly. Total 1,160 elderly people in KNHANES were selected for our empirical analyses. Dependent variable is either 0 or 1 depending on whether the elderly people feel depression. Main explanatory variables for our study include disease and activity limit. Logistic regression analysis was applied for two group such as stress experience and non-experience. Results : According to the empirical results, stress factor is found to be significant in explaining the depression in the elderly. Depression prevalence rate increased when the elderly has stress experience: chronical disease(OR=1.650), chronical disease with activity limit(OR=3.388), non-chronical disease with stress(OR=11.841) chronical disease with stress (OR=13.561) and chronical disease with activity limit and stress(OR=28.691). Conclusions: The finding suggest that the Countermeasures of elderly's depression alleviation should include stress management.
KNHANES;depression in the elderly;stress;logistic regression
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(2009). Risk factors for depression in older Koreans-Community-based Geriatirc Cohort Study, 2006-2007-, Public Health Weekly Report, 2(44), 737-740.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2014). 2014 National health statistics-KNHANES 6-2.
- Lee, H. J., No, D. M., & Oh, H. J. (2013). The 2013 Korea Welfare Panel Study (KOWEPS)-Descriptive Report-, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Lee, H. J., Kahng, S. K., & Lee, J. Y. (2008). The effects of socioeconomic position and health behavior on geriatric depressive symptom. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 28(4), 1129-1145.
- Lee, M. A. (2011). Relative effects of health and family factors on geriatric depression. The Korean Journal of Community Living Science, 22(4), 623-635. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2011.22.4.623
- Lee, M. A., & Kim, D. C. (2013). Predictors of Korean elderly people's self-rated health status and moderating effects of socio-economic position, The Korean Journal of Community Living Science, 24(1), 37-49. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2013.24.1.37
- Lee, Seon-Mi., Park, Jong-hwan., Yun, Young-Deok., & Kim, Jae-Yun. (2013). Impact Analysis and Management Study of mental health problems-mainly depression, National Health Insurance Service Report.
- Lewinsohn, P. M., Hoberman, H. H., & Rosenbaum, M. (1988). A prospective study of risk factors for unipolar depression. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 97, 251-264. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.97.3.251
- Lim, Y. S., Kim J. H., & Lee, S. D. (2013). The Relation of participating Sports leisure activities in old age on the stress and the subjective quality of life. The Korea Journal of Sports Science, 22(4), 37-50.
- Lynch, S. M. (2003). Cohort and life-course patterns in the relationship between education and health: A hierarchical approach. Demography, 40(2), 309-331. https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.2003.0016
- McEwen, B. S. (2007). Physiology and neurobiology of stress and adaptation: central role of the brain. Physiological Reviews, 87(3), 873-904. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00041.2006
- Murray, C. J., & Lopez, A. D. (1997). Alternative projections of mortality and disability by cause 1990-2020: Global Burden of Disease Study. The Lancet, 349(9064), 1498-1504. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(96)07492-2
- Moussavi, S., Chatterji, S., Verdes, E., Tandon, A., Patel, V., & Ustun, B. (2007). Depression, chronic diseases, and decrements in health: results from the World Health Surveys. The Lancet, 370(9590), 851-858. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61415-9
- Neu, P., Schlattmann, P., Schilling, A., & Hartmann, A. (2004). Cerebrovascular reactivity in major depression: a pilot study. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66(1), 6-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PSY.0000107880.03026.54
- Park, Jae-Woo., & Hwang, Byung-Deog. (2015). The Effect of Physical Activity Characteristics on Mental Health of the Aged with Chronic Diseases, Korean Public Health Research, 41(1), 25-38.
- Reynolds III, C. F., Cuijpers, P., Patel, V., Cohen, A., Dias, A., Chowdhary, N., & Albert, S. M. (2012). Early intervention to reduce the global health and economic burden of major depression in older adults. Annual Review of Public Health, 33, 123-135. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031811-124544
- Addiction treatment guidelines series. (2011). Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry and National Alcohol Project Supporting Committee.
- Anisman, H. (2009). Cascading effects of stressors and inflammatory immune system activation: implications for major depressive disorder. Journal of psychiatry & neuroscience, 34(1), 4.
- Bae, Ji-Young. (2010). Impacts of Health Insurance Coverage Expansion on Health Care Utilization and Health Status. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, 41(2), 35-65. https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2010.41.2.35
- Bae, Jong-Jin., & Park, Hyun-Chul. (2014). The Effect of Exercise on Senior' Depression in Local Area. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 53(3), 549-557.
- Beekman, A. T. F., Kriegsman, D. M. W., Deeg, D. J. H., & Van Tilburg, W. (1995). The association of physical health and depressive symptoms in the older population: age and sex differences. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 30(1), 32-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00784432
- Cho, E. H., Chun, J. H., & Lee S. W. (2000). A Model for the Factors Affecting Depression in the Elderly with Chronic Disease. Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society, 4(3), 148-162.
- Conwell, Y., Van Orden, K., & Caine, E. D. (2011). Suicide in older adults. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 34(2), 451-468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psc.2011.02.002
- De Leon, C. F., Kasl, S. V., & Jacobs, S. (1994). A prospective study of widowhood and changes in symptoms of depression in a community sample of the elderly. Psychological Medicine, 24(03), 613-624. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700027768
- Forster, A, (1995). Young J. Incidence and consequences of falls due to stroke: a systematic inquiry. British Medical Journal, 311(6997), 83-86 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.311.6997.83
- Herrmann, L. L., Le Masurier, M., & Ebmeier, K. P. (2008). White matter hyper intensities in late life depression: a systematic review. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, 79(6), 619-624.
- Jun, Hey-Jung., & Kim, Myoung-Yong. (2014). The Gender Difference in the Longitudinal Effect of Employment on Depressive Symptoms among Older Adults. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 34(2), 315-331.
- Kim, B. H., & Nam, C. H. (1999). A Study on the Factors affected with Depressive Scale among the Korean Elderly Who Lives with Spouse. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 19(2), 173-192.
- Kim, H. R. (2014). Prevalence of Depression and Its Risk Factors among Elderly with Arthritis in Korea. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 34(1), 133-149.
- Kim, M. H. (2010). A Study on the Relationship between Hypertension and Depression among the Elderly in Urban Areas. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 12(3), 186-194.
- Kim, Tae-Suk., & Kim, Dai-Jin. (2007). The Association between Smoking and Depression, Korean Journal of Psychopharmacology, 18(6), 393-398.
- KNHANES (2013). The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV-3-VI-1), 2009-2013, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Seo, H. L., & Kim, H. N.(2010), Factors affecting psychological well-being of frail elderly women living alone. Mental Health & Social Work, 35, 176-202.
- Smith, P. J., Blumenthal, J. A., Babyak, M. A., & Hoffman, B. M. (2007). Cerebrovascular risk factors, vascular disease, and neuropsychological outcomes in adults with major depression. Psychosomatic Medicine, 69(6), 578. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e31812f7b8e
- Sohn, Ae-Ree. (2010). The Effects of Stress and Depression on Problem Drinking, Health and Social Science, 27, 61-67.
- Sonnenberg, C. M., Deeg, D. J. H., Van Tilburg, T. G., Vink, D., Stek, M. L., & Beekman, A. T. F. (2013). Gender differences in the relation between depression and social support in later life. International Psychogeriatrics, 25(01), 61-70. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610212001202
- Suh, K. H., & Kim, Y. S. (2003). Self-Esteem and Depression of the Elderly People Living Alone. Korean Journal of Culture and Social Issues, 9(1), 115-137.
- Yoon, Myeong Sook. (2011). Suicidal Ideation among Alcoholics : Moderating Effect of Alcohol Use, Mental Health & Social Work, 38, 113-140.
- Association of stress, depression, and suicidal ideation with subjective oral health status and oral functions in Korean adults aged 35 years or more vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0391-4
- Religion and Depression in South Korea: A Comparison between Buddhism, Protestantism, and Roman Catholicism vol.9, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/rel9010003
Supported by : 한국연구재단