- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of home-based cognitive and physico - occupational therapy program on cognitive function, depression and quality of life in dementia patients of a community
가정방문 인지 및 신체활동 작업치료 프로그램이 재가 치매환자의 인지, 우울 및 삶의 질에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2015.10.30
- Accepted : 2016.03.04
- Published : 2016.03.31
Objectives: The aim of this study was to examine the effects of home-based cognitive physico-occupational therapy(HBCPOT) on cognitive function, depression, and quality of life in dementia patients, using a cognitive impairment model. Methods: The data was analysed for Mini-Mental State Examination-Korean version (MMSE-KC) for assessing cognitive function, Quality of life-Alzheimer's Disease (QOL-AD) and Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) in 31 dementia patients who received home-based cognitive physico-occupational therapy for one hour once a week for 12 weeks by a trained occupational therapist at the Dementia Prevention and Management Center of Y-city during 20111-2013. Results: Among these 31 patients, 18(58.1%) were female, and 25(80.6%) had Alzheimer's Disease. After HBCPOT, the mean scores of MMSE-KC and QOL-AD were significantly improved, but GDS score was not significantly decreased. Conclusions: It was suggested that HBCPOT was effective in improving cognitive function and quality of life.
dementia;home-based cognitive occupational therapy program;cognitive function;quality of life;depression
- Allen, C. K. (1985). Occupational therapy of psychiatric diseases: measurement and management of cognitive disability. Little Brown & Company.
- Allen, C. K., Austin, S. L., David, S. K., Earhart, C. A., McCraith, D. B., & Riska-Williams, L. (2007). Manual for the ACLS and LACLS-5. Camarillo, CA:ACLS and LACLS Committee.
- Burgener, S., Bakas, T., Murray, C., Dunahee, & Tossey, S. (1998). Effective caregiving approaches for patients with Alzheimer's disease. Geriatric Nursing, 19(3), 121-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4572(98)90055-6
- Devereaux, E., & Carlson, M. (1992). The role of occupational therapy in the management of depression. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 46(2), 175-80. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.46.2.175
- Gitlin, L. N., Corcoran, M., Winter, L., Boyce, A., & Hauck, W. W. (2001). A randomized controlled trial of a home environmental intervention: Effect on efficacy and upset in caregiver and on daily function of persons with dementia. Gerontologist, 41, 15-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/41.1.15
- Gitlin, L. N., Hauck, W. W., Dennis, M. P., & Winter, L.(2005). Maintenance of effects of the home environmental skill-building program for family caregivers and individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders. Jouranl of Gerontology, 60(3), 368-374.
- Graff, M. J. (2009). Teaching and supporting clients with dementia and their caregivers in daily functioning. Soderback Infrid, International Handbook of Occupational Therapy Interventions, New York: Springer, 217-223.
- Graff, M. J., Adang, E. M., Vernooij-Dasseen, M. J., Jonsson, L., Thijssen, M., & Hoefnagels, W. H. (2008). Community occupational therapy for older patients with dementia and their caregivers: Cost effectiveness study. British Medical Journal, 336, 134-138. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39408.481898.BE
- Graff, M. J., Vernooij-Dasseen, M. J., Thijssen, M., Decker, J., Hoefnagels, W.H., & OldeRikkert, M. G. (2007). Effect of community occupational therapy on quality of life, mood, and health status in dementia patients and their categivers: A randomized controlled trial. Journal Gerontol, 62, 1002-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/62.9.1002
- Graff, M. J., Vernooij0Dassen, M. J., Thijssen, M., Decker, J., Hoefnagels, W. H., & OldeRikkert, M. G. (2006). Community based occupational therapy for patients with dementia and their care givers: Randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal, 333, 1196-204. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39001.688843.BE
- Hwang, Y. J., Jeong, W. M., Lee, K. S., Lim, H. W., & Kim, D. J. (2011). Effects of Tailored Occupational Activity Program applied to Patients with Dementia and Their Caregiver in Community. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 31(1), 129-141.
- Jeong, W. M., & Lee, J. S. (2006). Development of Curriculums for Training Elderly Dementia Occupational Therapis ts. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 14(2), 95-104.
- Jeong, W. M., Lee, D. Y., Ryu, S. H., Hwang, Y. J., Kim, S. G., Choo, I. H., & Kim, K. W. (2008). Focused effects of a Group Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy on Mild Dementia Patients in a Community-Focused Occupational Therapy Intervention Process Model. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 16(4), 1-17.
- Ji, H. R., Choi, S. H., Cho, M. S., & Ju, R. A. (2004). The Effects of the Continuous Dementia Nursing Intervention Program on Cognitive Function and Depression of the Elderly with Mild Dementia in the Community. Korean Gerontological Nursing, 6(2), 216-27.
- Jin, J. Y. (2009). A comparison study of cognitive function, anxiety and quality of life of demented elderly. Master of Public Health. The Graduate of School of Ewha Womans University. Department of Nursing Science, 21(3), 339-348.
- Kim, J. K. (2012). A The Effects of Home-based Rehabilitation Services on Activities of daily Living and Quality of Life of the Elderly according to Dementia. Society of Occupational Therapy for the Agged and Dementia, 6(2), 1-10.
- Kwon, Y. C., & Park, J. H. (1989). Development of the Test for the Elderly = Korean Version of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE-K). The Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 28, 125-135.
- Logsdon, R.G., Gibbons, L.E., McCurry, S.M., & Teri, L. (2000). Quality of life in Alzheimer's disease: patient and caregiver reports, in Assessing Quality of Life in Alzheimer's Disease. Edited by Albert SM, Logsdon RG. New York, Spring Publishing Company: 17-30.
- Luijpen, M. W., Scherder, E. J., Van Someren, E. J., Swaab, D. F., & Sergenat, J. A. (2003). Non-pharmacological interventions in cognitively impaired and demented patients-a comparison with cholinesterase inhibitors. Reviews in the Neurosciences, 14(4), 343-368.
- Oh, B. H., Kim, Y. K., Kim, J. H., & Shin, Y. S. (2002). The Effects of Cognitive Rehabilitation Training on Cognitive Function of Elderly Dementia Patients. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 42(4), 514-519.
- Park, C. S., Jeong, W. M., & Ohrr, H. C. (2010). Analysis of Caregiver Needs for Home-based Occupational Therapy Programs for Elderly Community Dwellers Dementia Based on Symptom Level and Caregiver Burden. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 18(4), 51-621.
- Park, H. S., Jung, M. Y., Lim, Y. J., & Sin, S. Y. (2008). A Satisfaction Survey on Home Based Occupational Therapy. Society of Occupational Therapy for the Agged and Dementia, 2(1), 29-36.
- Scogin, F., & McElreath, L. Efficacy of psychosocial treatment for geriatric depress: A quantitative review. Journal Consult Clinic Psychology, 62(1), 69-74.
- Seoul National University Hospital. (2013). Nationwide Study on the Prevalence of Dementia in Korean Elders. Ministry of Health & welfare.
- Shim, Y. S., Kim, B. S., Son, Y. M., Kim, K. S., Yoon, B. R., & Yang, D. W. (2005). Clinical Characteristics of Demented Patients in a Geriatric Institution: Focused on Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms. Dementia and Neurocognitive Disorders, 4, 35-40.
- Shin, H. Y. (2006). A preliminary study on the Korean Version of Quality of Life Alzheimer's disease (QOL-AD) scale in community-dwelling elderly with dementia. Journal of Public Health, 39, 243-2.
- Statistics Korea. Statistics for Elderly Persons. (2011).
- Statistics Korea. Statistics for Elderly Persons. (2014).
- The Korean Geriatric Medical Association. Life of elders. (2003).
- Yang, Y. A., An, S. J., An, Park, Y. H., Park, B. R., Heo, J. Park, J. S., Lee, J. Y., & Cho, M. L. (2011). A Study of Visiting Rehabilitation Service and Implementation Method. The Journal of Korena Association Occupational Therapy Policy for Aged Industry, 31(1), 139-149.
- Yang, Y. A., Oh, Y. H., & Hur, J. G. (2006). A study on Policy of the Home Based Occupational Therapy for Improvement of the Old-age Health. Journal of Welfare For the Aged, 31, 1598-1649.
- Yesavage, J. A., Brink, T. L., Rose, T. L., Lum O., Huang V., Adey, M., & VonOtto. (1983). Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: A preliminary report. Journal Psychiatric Research, 17, 37-49.
- Yoon, J. C. (2011). Y Dementia Prevention and Management Center.Occupational Therapy Manual.
- Patterson, R. L. (1982). Overcoming deficits of the aging: a behavioral approach. New York: Plenum Press.